The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

That is my point, he did get elected under a fair system.

And in the UK he failed to be elected under a fair system.

There is no disadvantage for MPs from minority parties being elected. There's a disadvantage for minority PARTIES in the FPTP system.

A simple example is that of the railways - the EU never stated that the government could not own part of the railways, just that it should not be run by the government.

Isn't this alone enough to leave the EU? Who/what the hell does the EU think it is telling us that what we can and can't do like this.

Didn't we need the EU's permission to do away with VAT on sanitary products for women too??

Better off out.

Isn't this alone enough to leave the EU? Who/what the hell does the EU think it is telling us that what we can and can't do like this.

Didn't we need the EU's permission to do away with VAT on sanitary products for women too??

Better off out.

You are part of the decision making process in the EU,or were.If you don't like the rules,leave the club.Like Juncker said,you're either in or out.Plenty of other countries are running successful part-state railways under these circumstances,plus running parts of the UK system as well,it's working for them.

Edited by chalga

Better off out.

I think you are quite spectacularly missing the point - the EU released a directive and the UK government used it to force through MORE change than the directive asked for.

The NS, DB, TGV, SNCF etc. are still mostly under government ownership, it is just that rather than having direct ownership, the companies were floated and the state now owns all/most of the shares.

Yet if you talk to people in the UK they quite happily blame the EU for the privatisation of the railways.

Re. the sanitary products - the EU wouldn't have a single problem with the NHS handing them out for free, the government didn't fancy that option and instead picked a fight with the EU over an 11% VAT drop - ie RATHER than actually solving the problem. That way they could claim it was the EU that caused the issue, not them.

Open up your eyes, you are being had time and time again on these issues.

And, as you point out, the quality of employment has gone down in terms of full time vs. part time, as well as terms & conditions, pensions, job security.

The only one I'd agree with there is job security.

I don't know about your relatives in the 80 year old range, but mine worked terrible hours in terrible conditions well into their 30s/40s when things started to get better.

The only one I'd agree with there is job security.

I don't know about your relatives in the 80 year old range, but mine worked terrible hours in terrible conditions well into their 30s/40s when things started to get better.

My father did a semi-skilled job, but he bought his own house for a few thousand pounds.