The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

Well I think the salmon will sing in the street before there's a Europe-wide capital/wealth tax, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see. <...>

Though one logical reason might be that the Macronistas are by and large upper middle class MBA types who are, perhaps, more heavily invested in business/financial assets than they are in property. <...>

After a week over there getting local and national news day-in, day-out, Macron's honeymoon is well and truly over and many (elected) Macronistas are increasingly showing themselves to be ill-suited for Parliamentarian pressure. Household confidence is plummeting. I guess the hangover is starting to kick in.

The wealth tax was abolished and turned into the 'property wealth tax' while I was over, by the way. But the Conseil Constitutionnel (Constitutional Council) might yet rule it unconstitutional and nix it.

Sorry to keep going on about Piketty, but one of the main points in his book is that capital has ballooned to the extent that it is now a vast subterranean reservoir that could be used to replenish those vessels.
I don't disagree with his analysis, but the problem is two-fold: coerce that capital (back?) out of this 'subterranean reservoir' and incentivise its use to fund taxable wealth-creating activities.

A bit more topically, with our Brexit-caused move I'm getting a 20% gross pay rise resulting in a 25+% net pay rise. This differential (relative to my current UK gross/net) just shows that the UK is not such a low-income tax country as many may believe.

After a week over there getting local and national news day-in, day-out, Macron's honeymoon is well and truly over and many (elected) Macronistas are increasingly showing themselves to be ill-suited for Parliamentarian pressure. Household confidence is plummeting. I guess the hangover is starting to kick in.

It was always going to be that way though, possibly? Macron was voted in on a low turnout because Le Pen was too much to stomach for most French people. Hollande started off with good ratings too, before they too plummetted.

Anyway, congratulations on the new job and the pay rise. It's a shame that you are leaving but good luck with it all.

A bit more topically, with our Brexit-caused move I'm getting a 20% gross pay rise resulting in a 25+% net pay rise. This differential (relative to my current UK gross/net) just shows that the UK is not such a low-income tax country as many may believe.

Try res-non-dom with nill-rate on WW income that is born abroad and pegged to the USD.

We're both beneficiaries in very different ways :wink:

It was always going to be that way though, possibly? Macron was voted in on a low turnout because Le Pen was too much to stomach for most French people. Hollande started off with good ratings too, before they too plummetted.
It was always going to be that way, not so much due to the turnout, but in view of the expected consequences of Macron's electoral platform/program, compounded by his Parliamentarian majority at the ensuing GE: I expect that his approval ratings are dropping fast, because he is actually setting about implementing his program double-fast.

Anyway, congratulations on the new job and the pay rise. It's a shame that you are leaving but good luck with it all.
Thank you, that is very gracious of you.

Try res-non-dom with nill-rate on WW income that is born abroad and pegged to the USD.

We're both beneficiaries in very different ways :wink:

Ah, so assuming you res in the UK, you don't even pay your fair share in the UK?

I shall bear my moral high ground in our future exchanges ;):D

Do you take Mr Kellner's words as being literally factual?

Well, in terms of comparing the educational profile of voters with election and referendum results in constituencies Kellner is factually correct, as was the Labour MP.

In this case facts are facts.

---------- Post added 31-10-2017 at 08:39 ----------

Yes education is wasted on some.

Look, somebody has to pay for all the ready meals, take always, Amber Leaf and pina colada flavoured e-liquid.

And also fix you up when you’re ill ;)

European Court of Auditors signs off the EU accounts for 9th year in a row

http://ec.europa.eu/budget/news/article_en.cfm?id=201610131243

So, last year......

Oh dear.

The EU accounts clearly show, yet again, that the auditors believe they are not free from material error and so have given them a qualified opinion.

Significant errors, well above the 2 per cent threshold, are present in the accounts. As they have been every year since 1995.

So the accounts have been 'signed off' as having significant material errors.