The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

Maybe it will give the Govt a kick to start investing in training our own nurses like it used to be once upon a time.

That type of common sense talk doesn't belong on this forum.

I think you will find the 70 million is further support for the next year
So it is, you are right. I based my earlier post on the original aid package in 2014.

It's still peanuts-

(i) compared to the entire EU aid package to the agri sector for countering the Russia ban (I'm surprised you didn't raise that one; not that it is any more relevant to Brexit and EU seasonal workers come over (or not, as it turns out) for picking Brit fruit and veg, but well...); and

(ii) compared to the entire annual CAP funding commitments.

and your link explains why UK crops are rotting in the fields, and if those french fruit growers have never exported to Russia why were they protesting in the streets, your argument becomes thinner by the post.
So, about those EU seasonal fruit pickers whom Brit farmers can't get hold of in 2017?

So far, in reply to the above issue, we've had:

retep: France isn't doing too well: farmers were unhappy and spraying places with manure in 2014

[French farmers were unhappy in 2014? When haven't they been? (:hihi:) no relevance to my post about EU seasonal workers in the UK in 2017]

retep: France is not doing too well without the 70 million euro prop up extended to 2018

[what €70m? still no relevance to my post about EU seasonal workers in the UK in 2017]

retep: The 70 million to prop up the fruit and veg growers not much point in picking if they are going to turn produce into compost is there, shot themselves in the foot 2014, still paying for it till at least 2018.

[that €70m is solely about Russia markets? still no relevance to my post about EU seasonal workers in the UK in 2017]

retep: it's €70m next year, and, and, and <...>

[alright, so it's €70m next year; and so? still no relevance to my post about EU seasonal workers in the UK in 2017]

That's some serious amount of hand-waving from you there, so far. Any advance on that?

Edited by L00b

I think you will find that you are wrong.

No as the article only states that there was an increase in 2012-2015.

Quote by L00b: "more Polish, Bulgarian and Romanian fruit pickers chose to work in France this year." which implies that there was an increase that year but not corroborated by the article.

Translated quote by L00b..

"= "From August to October, more than 20,000 seasonal workers (they number between 5000 and 6000 in other departments) will be employed in orchards."

A figure I am not disputing but no mention of an increase that year which you implied. ;)

No its you that are sidestepping by not answering the question, so I will ask it again;

Provide evidence that it was promised pre-referendum that Brexit would be a success and also who said it.:)

Ahh, you rely on a specific citation rather than the promises ;) Looks like I have to concede the point, you're right you are pedantic! Have fun, I can take it :)

So, onto the promises, unless you'd rather not?

The promise of Brexit success are the promises made by the leave campaign, they can't be realised (IMV) unless Brexit is a success.. they are, effectively, the yardstick of success.

People voted based on the many promises of the leave campaign and expect them to be delivered. They are afterall, "promises".

Your notion that they can be just dropped is fanciful, *these* promises can't be dropped without significant fall out IMV.

If Brexit doesn't deliver on the promises made there will be significant social and political fallout so Brexit really does have to deliver them. If it's looking like it can't, then there could very well be a change of tack.

Edited by Magilla

So it is, you are right. I based my earlier post on the original aid package in 2014.

It's still peanuts-

(i) compared to the entire EU aid package to the agri sector for countering the Russia ban (I'm surprised you didn't raise that one; not that it is any more relevant to Brexit and EU seasonal workers come over (or not, as it turns out) for picking Brit fruit and veg, but well...); and

(ii) compared to the entire annual CAP funding commitments.

So, about those EU seasonal fruit pickers whom Brit farmers can't get hold of in 2017?

So far, in reply to the above issue, we've had:

retep: France isn't doing too well: farmers were unhappy and spraying places with manure in 2014

[French farmers were unhappy in 2014? When haven't they been? (:hihi:) no relevance to my post about EU seasonal workers in the UK in 2017]

retep: France is not doing too well without the 70 million euro prop up extended to 2018

[what €70m? still no relevance to my post about EU seasonal workers in the UK in 2017]

retep: The 70 million to prop up the fruit and veg growers not much point in picking if they are going to turn produce into compost is there, shot themselves in the foot 2014, still paying for it till at least 2018.

[that €70m is solely about Russia markets? still no relevance to my post about EU seasonal workers in the UK in 2017]

retep: it's €70m next year, and, and, and <...>

[alright, so it's €70m next year; and so? still no relevance to my post about EU seasonal workers in the UK in 2017]

That's some serious amount of hand-waving from you there, so far. Any advance on that?

I seem to remember you spouting something about Bulgarian and Romanian choosing to work in France, perhaps you can point out this bit "EU seasonal workers in the UK in 2017" I may have missed it.

No matter how long you make your posts they are still getting thinner.

I see that arch Brexiteer John Redwood has been advising investors to take their money out of the UK.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/nov/13/labour-accuses-john-redwood-of-talking-britain-down

Such confidence in the UK :cool:

This is brilliant,was just going to post it.:hihi:

The piece was published on 3 November but came to greater prominence after a scathing comment piece was published over the weekend by a Forbes commentator, Frances Coppola, who wrote that the MP had “advocated a course of action by the UK government that he knows would seriously damage the UK economy”.

Coppola wrote: “To protect his job as an investment manager, he warned his wealthy clients to get their money out before the disaster hits. To me, this smacks of disaster capitalism. Engineer a crash while ensuring your own interests are protected, then clean up when it hits. This is despicable behaviour by a lawmaker.”

In the piece for the Financial Times, the Conservative MP – who has a £180,000 second job as chief global strategist for Charles Stanley – said the European Central Bank was promoting faster growth when the UK was seeing a squeeze on credit.

Edited by chalga

I see that arch Brexiteer John Redwood has been advising investors to take their money out of the UK.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/nov/13/labour-accuses-john-redwood-of-talking-britain-down

Such confidence in the UK :cool:

From that article:

Coppola wrote: “To protect his job as an investment manager, he warned his wealthy clients to get their money out before the disaster hits. To me, this smacks of disaster capitalism. Engineer a crash while ensuring your own interests are protected, then clean up when it hits. This is despicable behaviour by a lawmaker.”

Should all brexit favouring politicians (including MEPs) be forced to invest all their money in the UK, particularly in sectors likely to do well if brexit is a success/poorly if it's a failure, to ensure they do what's best for the country rather than trash the economy in order to feather their own nests?

I seem to remember you spouting something about Bulgarian and Romanian choosing to work in France, perhaps you can point out this bit "EU seasonal workers in the UK in 2017" I may have missed it.
See my first post of today, #3429 at 09:28, to which you felt complied to reply with all your hand-waving.

I'm reliably informed that bad cases of selective short-term memory like yours are treatable.

No matter how long you make your posts they are still getting thinner.
With your eyesight, that's hardly surprising! :hihi:

---------- Post added 13-11-2017 at 16:52 ----------

Should all brexit favouring politicians (including MEPs) be forced to invest all their money in the UK, particularly in sectors likely to do well if brexit is a success/poorly if it's a failure, to ensure they do what's best for the country rather than trash the economy in order to feather their own nests?
What, Brexit-supporting politicians doing as they say, instead of how they are actually doing?

:lol:

Edited by L00b