The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

as an aside, could our favourite breakfast cereals days be numbered?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/30/british-weetabix-seized-by-new-zealand-customs-in-breakfast-bowl-battle-with-rival

as we rush towards a free trade deal with new zealand, what will happen to our favorite breaskfast cereal?

which country will win out in the battle of the breakfast cereals?

maybe they will be excluded from the deal...

According to Theresa May the key reason is immigration.

Do you not agree with her?

All I can say is to repeat what I have said many times on the Brexit threads, immigration was not part of my reason to vote leave. :)

more on strawberry pickers....

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/30/wimbledon-strawberry-farmer-warns-of-post-brexit-staff-shortage

the part which really caught my eye was:

A government spokesman said: “Leaving the EU gives us the opportunity to design a better system that works for the UK’s agricultural industry and helps our farmers to grow more world-class food.”

and my question is what is that better system? it's time we should be told. Come on all you exiters, now is the time to show you have a plan for the future..

I think that the leavers have disowned the magic money bus.

I did as I didn't think there was one anyway.

You are of course correct. It is time for the leavers to put up a coherent plan. Then at least we will know what sort of oblivion they are leading us into. It is the least that the rest of us deserve.

Actually I agree that it is time those now in charge of leaving put up a plan but.. It is impossible to put one up while the terms of leaving are being negotiated. Once the terms have been negotiated then a plan can be put forward. We may actually not agree on any terms and just quit.

---------- Post added 01-07-2017 at 16:18 ----------

and my question is what is that better system? it's time we should be told. Come on all you exiters, now is the time to show you have a plan for the future..

Its up to the Government to make the plans not those who voted. Come back in around 2 years and they may be an answer, till then you could try a crystal ball like many other remainers and just speculate. BTW my strawberries come from Spain and surprisingly taste better and are cheaper. Maybe they should also be sold at Wimbledon as the cost there is around £2.50 for 10..

Edited by apelike

more on strawberry pickers....

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/30/wimbledon-strawberry-farmer-warns-of-post-brexit-staff-shortage

the part which really caught my eye was:

A government spokesman said: “Leaving the EU gives us the opportunity to design a better system that works for the UK’s agricultural industry and helps our farmers to grow more world-class food.”

Get the remoaners to do the picking:hihi:

Actually I agree that it is time those now in charge of leaving put up a plan but.. It is impossible to put one up while the terms of leaving are being negotiated. Once the terms have been negotiated then a plan can be put forward. We may actually not agree on any terms and just quit.

but how can we negotiate if we don't have a plan?

In many way's we're stuffed

the governing party can't put forward a plan because any will be anathema to one or (if it's a sane plan) both wings of the party.

we can't change the leader of the governing party because the possible alternatives are too chicken to force an election and even if they did they are still stuck since there isn't a possible plan which which doesn't tear the party apart.

we can't change governing party, since that will just add to the chaos and while the labour party does seem to have a plan, they are nearly as riven as the conservative party and being in government will bring these divisions back to the surface.

there is no guarantee that an election would produce a significantly different result, possibly a worse one.

we're on the way to being the first 1st world failed state

---------- Post added 01-07-2017 at 16:30 ----------

Its up to the Government to make the plans not those who voted.

but you must have had some idea of the world you were trying to create by your vote

BTW my strawberries come from Spain and surprisingly taste better and are cheaper.

that's not very patriotic

anyway, enjoy them while you can, they won't be here after Brexit.

---------- Post added 01-07-2017 at 16:33 ----------

Get the remoaners to do the picking:hihi:

been there done that

though i'm not sure it's a good use of our skills, still i suppose in the 1970s world you want to create there wont be a need for the people with the new century's tech skills.

---------- Post added 01-07-2017 at 16:30 ----------

but you must have had some idea of the world you were trying to create by your vote

I was not trying to create anything, that is what we have governments for.

that's not very patriotic

anyway, enjoy them while you can, they won't be here after Brexit.

Why not?

A/B, Yes/No, Accept/Decline is very binary and it's the nature of referenda in this country.

No, the nature of referenda in this country, as set out clearly in a House of Lords Report and formally accepted by the Government, is that they are advisory, and an advisory vote on a binary question does not give a binary answer.