The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

Thought my pension wasn't going to survive, not very good at this dim are you, but I'll enjoy my retirement more now I know you'll pay for it.

I didn't guarantee it would, plenty of my ilk leave and you'll be wearing a high viz at 6 in the morning.

...revel inthe knowledge that I’ll work an extra decade to pag for your pension.

But to put things in perspective all working people pay towards the pensions of those that are retired. That now begs a question.. what age were you when you started full time paid work? I take it you went to Uni and at a guess joined the paid workforce in your early to mid 20's.

Edited by apelike

But to put things in perspective all working people pay towards the pensions of those that are retired. That now begs a question.. what age were you when you started full time paid work? I take it you went to Uni and at a guess joined the paid workforce in your early to mid 20's.

I’ve never stopped working since age 14, turns out you can enjoy education while working!

The point I am rather rudely highlighting is that pensions are already under pressure and considered at risk. If the economy crashes than pensioners are going to lose out.

A lot of those working people over the years will have people who ultimately return to their home country and will never draw a U.K. pension.

And you seem to now have a problem with people who take time out to study and don’t pay tax every year from 16?

what do you think the EU should have done?
Not made a profit from a partner countries misery would be one,

https://www.express.co.uk/finance/ci...terest-payment

you borrow money you pay interest and maybe greece shouldn't have borrowed money it couldn't afford to pay back
Double-standards, much?

Ireland pays more than €400m in interest on UK bailout loan: UK lent Ireland £3.2bn as part of bailout in 2010 with final repayment due in March 2021

Nothing new from Leavers to see here, move along :rolleyes:

I’ve never stopped working since age 14, turns out you can enjoy education while working!

The point I am rather rudely highlighting is that pensions are already under pressure and considered at risk. If the economy crashes than pensioners are going to lose out.

No need to wait for any crash.

You could do worse than look at how many OAPs the public services under budgetary pressure are currently taking off early injury/incapacity pensions, using similar tactics to those already well-discussed in the context of ATOS assessments.

Firefighters, for instance: my father in law was very recently deemed 'fit to work' at 80 (no GP visit whatsoever, solely on basis of -incomplete- medical records (-allegedly reviewed: no evidence or reference given)) and summarily taken off his SYFS pension with a week's notice. 100% illegally in view of Statutes.

I s**t you not.

He's lucky to have me, I doubt many others have ready access to (or can afford) a legal mind for considering the issue. Since there's no legal aid anymore.

Nothing to do with Brexit (to come, or the current consequences of the enduring uncertainty). 100% to do with the UK government's austerity policies cutting services' budgets.

If Brexit does tank the economy, well then of course...there would be worse to come, that goes without saying.

A lot of those working people over the years will have people who ultimately return to their home country and will never draw a U.K. pension.
Oh, I fully intend to draw my UK pension, wherever I happen to be at the time, rest assured. And my French pension and my Belgian pension and my German pension and my Irish pension and my Luxemburg pension (plus private pensions, if I don't consolidate them a bit more by then).

EU membership has nothing to do with that, only individual entitlement in view of accrued national rights, 100% under domestic law (different kettle of fish for employees of EU institutions, of course). That Leavers' kids and grand kids will be paying for my UK pension, is a bonus point :D

Edited by L00b

Double-standards, much?

Ireland pays more than €400m in interest on UK bailout loan: UK lent Ireland £3.2bn as part of bailout in 2010 with final repayment due in March 2021

Oh, I fully intend to draw my UK pension, wherever I happen to be at the time, rest assured. And my French pension and my Belgian pension and my German pension and my Irish pension and my Luxemburg pension (plus private pensions, if I don't consolidate them a bit more by then).

EU membership has nothing to do with that, only individual entitlement in view of accrued national rights, 100% under domestic law (different kettle of fish for employees of EU institutions, of course). That Leavers' kids and grand kids will be paying for my UK pension, is a bonus point :D

Haha yeah, never thought of it that way.

Quite nice to think that if I leave then leavers will be paying for me to have a better life abroad. Thanks guys :)

Double-standards, much?

No need to wait for any crash.

You could do worse than look at how many OAPs the public services under budgetary pressure are currently taking off early injury/incapacity pensions, using similar tactics to those already well-discussed in the context of ATOS assessments.

Firefighters, for instance: my father in law was very recently deemed 'fit to work' at 80 (no GP visit whatsoever, solely on basis of -incomplete- medical records (-allegedly reviewed: no evidence or reference given)) and summarily taken off his SYFS pension with a week's notice. 100% illegally in view of Statutes.

I s**t you not.

He's lucky to have me, I doubt many others have ready access to (or can afford) a legal mind for considering the issue. Since there's no legal aid anymore.

Nothing to do with Brexit (to come, or the current consequences of the enduring uncertainty). 100% to do with the UK government's austerity policies cutting services' budgets.

If Brexit does tank the economy, well then of course...there would be worse to come, that goes without saying.

The difference being,

“The [british] government agreed to provide a bilateral loan to Ireland because it is in the UK’s national interest that Ireland has a successful economy and a stable banking system.

“The links between our financial systems, particularly in Northern Ireland, mean that there was a strong economic case to provide financial assistance to Ireland. By being part of the international financial package, the UK indirectly supported the very many businesses across the UK that trade with Ireland.”

The UK didn't leave Ireland in misery.

Unless you have 30 years of contributions your pension will be small.

Edited by retep

It didn't, it will do soon though. How do you see a no-deal Brexit pan out for the Republic and Northern Ireland? Are we just going to have a huge porous land-border where anybody can come into the UK without issue?

It didn't, it will do soon though. How do you see a no-deal Brexit pan out for the Republic and Northern Ireland? Are we just going to have a huge porous land-border where anybody can come into the UK without issue?
Correct: rather than "leave Ireland in misery", it "made a profit from" Ireland, which at the time indeed was "a partner country" mired in the "misery" of the GFC.

tzijlstra, by the evidence of Varadkar's move last week (fully sanctioned by the other EU26), the Irish aren't going to become hostages to Brexit without a fight, nor will they be on their own - unlike the UK.

A no-deal Brexit would see a hard border arise, whatever the UK government and the EU have to say about it. Because WTO terms bind the EU in that respect (and the UK just as much, if the UK wanted to trade under WTO terms post-Brexit).

The UK never was, is not, and never will be, at liberty to 'not apply any tariffs' and to wavy-hand a hard border (it will no doubt blame the EU for it, naturally - but only for a very short while, whilst it builds its own).

Unless it fancies its chances trading outside the WTO umbrella, of course (in which case, I'll let interested parties work out the chances of negotiating trade agreements, whether free or not and over however long).

Edited by L00b