The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

I have already stated we were discussing after we have left the EU. May I suggest you read the previous posts.

I have to agree with Lockdoctor here (probably for the only time on this thread:)). We were discussing the likelihood of the UK rejoining the EU some time in the future if the UK economy suffers because of brexit.

You are living in cloud cuckoo land. The UK would have to re-apply to rejoin and meet the criteria demanded by the EU.

Well, sort of.

---------- Post added 22-11-2017 at 21:28 ----------

We will faff around way longer than 2 years before/if we change our mind. We're 6 months in now. If we go back in, it will be very much on the EUs terms.

I have already stated we were discussing after we have left the EU. May I suggest you read the previous posts.

I have to agree with Lockdoctor here (probably for the only time on this thread:)). We were discussing the likelihood of the UK rejoining the EU some time in the future if the UK economy suffers because of brexit.

Let me make this abundantly clear - if the UK government, that is the current or future government, repeals the Article 50 NOTIFICATION than nothing changes. It will simply mean that status quo is continued.

If you used wrong language Lockdoctor, by stating 'the reality is the UK will never be part of the EU again', than that is your responsibility and error.

The simple fact is that if Maybot turns around and says, you know what, we are so far of the right deal here, I will revoke Article 50, the UK will still be a member of the EU under the exact terms it is now.

I genuinely can't make it any clearer than that.

Let me make this abundantly clear - if the UK government, that is the current or future government, repeals the Article 50 NOTIFICATION than nothing changes. It will simply mean that status quo is continued.

If you used wrong language Lockdoctor, by stating 'the reality is the UK will never be part of the EU again', than that is your responsibility and error.

The simple fact is that if Maybot turns around and says, you know what, we are so far of the right deal here, I will revoke Article 50, the UK will still be a member of the EU under the exact terms it is now.

I genuinely can't make it any clearer than that.

You still haven't read the previous posts.

---------- Post added 22-11-2017 at 22:16 ----------

At least we know what we were discussing about, even though we don't agree with each other.

Another valuable contribution...

If a State which has withdrawn from the Union asks to rejoin, its request shall be subject to the procedure referred to in Article 49.

Article 49

Any European State which respects the values referred to in Article 2 and is committed to promoting them may apply to become a member of the Union. The European Parliament and national Parliaments shall be notified of this application. The applicant State shall address its application to the Council, which shall act unanimously after consulting the Commission and after receiving the assent of the European Parliament, which shall act by an absolute majority of its component members. The conditions of admission and the adjustments to the Treaties on which the Union is founded, which such admission entails, shall be the subject of an agreement between the Member States and the applicant State. This agreement shall be submitted for ratification by all the contracting States in accordance with their respective constitutional requirements. The conditions of eligibility agreed upon by the European Council shall be taken into account.

Valuable enough?

Come on you Brexiteers.

Admit that our proposed exit is not shaping up to be anything like Farage’s vision(if this is what swayed you)and a detrimental and diluted Brexit is now being “negotiated” by civil servants and politicians who have no real appetite for it.

Why step out of the plane without a parachute when we can backtrack and make our influence from within.

Yes I agree that if we leave then returning would be a complex and lengthy process.

That’s why the Brexiter mantra of ‘just vote out the government every 5 years if you don’t like its approach to the EU’ is disingenuous poppycock.

Rejoining would have to be a multi-parliament project driven by political consensus. That is why the prize of hard Brexit is such a great one for Brexiters. They know in practical terms reversing it would take a generation or more.

---------- Post added 22-11-2017 at 22:42 ----------

Come on you Brexiteers.

Admit that our proposed exit is not shaping up to be anything like Farage’s vision(if this is what swayed you)and a detrimental and diluted Brexit is now being “negotiated” by civil servants and politicians who have no real appetite for it.

Why step out of the plane without a parachute when we can backtrack and make our influence from within.

Divorce bill

Annual payments

Transition period

Continued ECJ jurisdiction

etc...

etc...

At some point people are going to question why leaving looks the same as staying in but costs a whole lot more. If they have any sense that is.

Edited by I1L2T3

This is categorically incorrect. All the UK has to do is repeal the Article 50 notification and the situation will (begrudgingly) return to the status quo before the referendum.

I dont think that is correct.

As far as I know and have read we can only repeal A50 if our notification is accepted by the EU and that a vote is then put to the rest of the member states. They then must agree by a majority vote that we can repeal A50. The way a lot of the member states feel towards the UK for triggering A50 is not very good and some have said they would vote against any repeal.

---------- Post added 22-11-2017 at 23:07 ----------

Not even remotely true. We have not left yet. The guy who drafted A50 has stated that it can simply be revoked at any time in the 2 year window.

See above as it is not his decision to make.

---------- Post added 22-11-2017 at 23:10 ----------

But that also depends on the above and that the EU and member states accept it.

Edited by apelike

Come on you Brexiteers.

Why talk about "Farages vision" . Farage has never held any power in the UK .