The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

You've never heard of car boot then?...........that's just for starters.

Criticising the EU for its many faults is not the same as moaning about the outcome and supposed dire consequences of the Brexit vote.

Let's not pretend otherwise, yeah?

Oh yes, remember that, Project Fear. Advance warning of financial disaster amongst the threats of war.

You're wasting those strawmen on me, ENG:

The worst prediction is a 9.5% hit on the UK's GDP.

That's not "shallow", by any stretches of meaning.

It's a very hard landing from a very tall cliff, and there would have to be some critical life support and reconstructive surgery involved after it.

I'll link this historical GDP tracker for context, which usefully indicates the 2008 hit on it for comparison.

But hey, as you mentioned the 'worst prediction', indeed that is the worst prediction by experts.

So the economic hit would probably be less than that.

Place your bets

source

I never subscribed to the overnight financial disaster (a.k.a. the "worst prediction" in the above), indeed I've consistently posited that-

(i) the decline effectively began shortly before the referendum itself and has been slowly and steadily continuing ever since (fuelled by the uncertainty, which was initially created by the referendum campaigning, and has since been sustained and amplified by the government's handling of the matter) and

(ii) the real shock to the system will not occur until Brexit actually happens (at which time the last of the uncertainty gets lifted and replaced by socio-economic readjustment to the UK's trading isolation, which will involve further investment choking, capital flight and brain drain).

At least we have today's headlines to keep us safe tonight: Pound soars against the euro on Brexit divorce bill breakthrough
That will help with the exit bill which, last time I checked, is still in €s, not £s ;)

Besides, I could really do with the £ bouncing up a bit. House proceeds to transfer out of the UK sometime soon, see :D

So just how many have now been made redundant because of Brexit?
So far 1, but possibly two depending on how aggressively the business trims overheads shortly after I'm gone.

But according to last year's numbers and this year to date, I've been carrying other fee earners and their support staff, besides my own secretary (whose position I'm still working to safeguard, by having another bod face the chop).

So, you know, in 6 to 12 months' s time...your bet's as good as mine. Not that I will particularly care anyway.

The redundancies are not the problem: they're just a consequence of the (more fundamental-) financials. And I weighed a lot of these, which is why there is going to be at least 1 redundancy short-term, more likely 2.

Oh, its not me that moaning as you can see. Its evident from this forum alone that the moaning is coming from the remainers and not the leavers.
Don't mistake commenting and querying for moaning. Edited by L00b

Please look again

No need to look again,I already replied to plenty of the moaners.

---------- Post added 28-11-2017 at 22:34 ----------

Criticising the EU for its many faults is not the same as moaning about the outcome and supposed dire consequences of the Brexit vote.

Let's not pretend otherwise, yeah?

Dress it up however you want,you are one of the leavers still moaning about the EU.In fact,it doesn't even just happen on here,it's leavers all over the UK,from Farage about the EU army,to anybody about the city of culture,get over it,you're gone.

Edited by chalga

Please look again

---------- Post added 28-11-2017 at 22:28 ----------

You could be on to something there :) If everyone backed it ,maybe it could be the success we all want

We could start with singing kum by yah round a big bonfire of environmental laws to get the ball rolling.

Don't get me wrong, if we must go through with brexit, I want it to be a success. I can't up sticks and go, I'm stuck here with everyone else. What I want is a plan, I'll settle for some rough thoughts on the back of an envelope but there are none. Zero. Frankly singing kum by yah is still better than anything that's come from Davis, Boris or May and if it becomes policy I want credit;)

We could start with singing kum by yah round a big bonfire of environmental laws to get the ball rolling.

Don't get me wrong, if we must go through with brexit, I want it to be a success. I can't up sticks and go, I'm stuck here with everyone else. What I want is a plan, I'll settle for some rough thoughts on the back of an envelope but there are none. Zero. Frankly singing kum by yah is still better than anything that's come from Davis, Boris or May and if it becomes policy I want credit;)

Which always reminds me of

Not impending... actual.

When the pound is 20% below where it was on the 23rd June 2016,

When we have lost 100s of jobs through the relocation of EU agencies to the mainland of Europe

When we find it hard to recruit the staff for jobs previously filled by EU workers

When many companies are saying publicly they are moving British jobs to the continent all because of Brexit...

And when the pro-leave supporters cannot actually identify one positive thing that the process of brexit has ALREADY brought, or clear articulate the benefits that Brexit will bring in the future...

Can you blame us for being slightly negative about the situation?

Please - give me the positives - you must have them - you've had over 18 months to come up with them..

Please?