The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

There will be extra money for the NHS

How much, and when?

Last I checked, the 'Brexit' entry on Hammond's balance sheet was up £3.7bn. Since on or around March 2017 until the next budget.

Excluding the one-off £1bn bung to NI that's bought Theresa two black eyes in Brussels yesterday, and the £50bn contingency agreed over the next decade or so.

Meanwhile, the NHS got...what? Aside from a recruiting crisis brought about by years' worth of pay freezes, and lengthening waiting lists?

Edited by L00b

where does that say £350 million a week for the NHS ?

"Let's give our NHS the £350m the EU takes every week."

-- Vote Leave's advertising hoardings, leaflets and presentation with Boris Johnson.

https://jonworth.eu/the-two-versions-of-the-350-million-for-the-nhs-slogan/

It's crystal clear and a total and deliberate lie - we now all know that only half that figure goes to the EU so where does the rest come from?

The slogan was rushed out in a hurry when the chief executive of the NHS said that Brexit would damage the NHS because it relies so much on EU nurses, doctors, consultants and so on.

This was a problem for Vote Leave. They had intended to claim that immigration is harmful for public services but now here is the chief of the NHS telling everyone about how the NHS needs EU staff!

Vote Leave could no longer say that immigration is bad for public services and they needed to do something about Brexit and the NHS. And thus the Big Fat £350m Lie was born.

https://www.politico.eu/article/nhs-chief-simon-stevens-brexit-debate-intervention-david-cameron-referendum/

I think you misinterpreted the message . where does that say £350 million a week for the NHS ?

You need to remember that people see what they want to believe, but you are absolutely correct. In no way does that statement say that the NHS will get £350m. Even if it did, it's farcical to make out that people have suddenly taken to believing everything that politicians say.

But there are a lot of thick people about too. Some of that £350m needs to go into education.

Edited by ENG601PM

I think you misinterpreted the message . where does that say £350 million a week for the NHS ?

You are correct at the time, it was made clear the £350 million a week was just a example of how the money could be used and was a gross and not net figure. The issue was fully discussed and argued about weeks before the referendum vote. I voted to Remain and don't behaved dishonestly like some Remain voters behave here, who keep quoting the £350 million. Was President Obama telling the truth when he said the UK would be at the back of the queue for trade negotiations with America? Both the Remain and Leave campaigns were poor and the electorate knew that before they voted.

I find it hilarious that everyone will be poorer because of it. It is how quickly you can recover that counts. This even alone will divide social mobility move than ever. I am not bothered as my investments are very well protected. For everyone else, I don’t really care as you all predominantly voted for it, so you can all eat it.

You need to remember that people see what they want to believe, but you are absolutely correct. In no way does that statement say that the NHS will get £350m. Even if it did, it's farcical to make out that people have suddenly taken to believing everything that politicians say.

But there are a lot of thick people about too. Some of that £350m needs to go into education.

Just a reminder there actually never was any £350m

---------- Post added 06-12-2017 at 08:25 ----------

I find it hilarious that everyone will be poorer because of it. It is how quickly you can recover that counts. This even alone will divide social mobility move than ever. I am not bothered as my investments are very well protected. For everyone else, I don’t really care as you all predominantly voted for it, so you can all eat it.

Exactly my opinion too. My family is prepared now. Investments diversified and dual nationality sorted (except me but I’m sorting that). We’ve got good jobs that are portable into the EU.

Bring it on. People need to experience the consequences of their actions.

Popcorn ordered

Just a reminder that there was never any writing off of student debt.

Have you suddenly started believing everything verbatim as politicians tell you? Pop into a WMC and ask around the Leave voters if they have.

PS, a WMC is a Working Man's Club. You'll find them in working class areas. Tip; if you must drink wine on your visit just ask for red or white. Beer is bitter or lager, not Trappist or Weisbier. Chips don't come with mayo or mussels.

PPS, I'll save you the embarrassment of visiting a club. Leave voters don't believe politicians either. That's why they voted Leave.

Edited by ENG601PM

---------- Post added 06-12-2017 at 08:25 ----------

Exactly my opinion too. My family is prepared now. Investments diversified and dual nationality sorted (except me but I’m sorting that). We’ve got good jobs that are portable into the EU.

Bring it on. People need to experience the consequences of their actions.

Popcorn ordered

It would appear that your true self is coming out over the last few posts. I’m glad your family have dual nationality and I hope you get what you want.

Just a reminder that there was never any writing off of student debt.

Have you suddenly started believing everything verbatim as politicians tell you? Pop into a WMC and ask around the Leave voters if they have.

PS, a WMC is a Working Man's Club. You'll find them in working class areas. Tip; if you must drink wine on your visit just ask for red or white. Beer is bitter or lager, not Trappist or Weisbier. Chips don't come with mayo or mussels.

PPS, I'll save you the embarrassment of visiting a club. Leave voters don't believe politicians either. That's why they voted Leave.

There never was any £350m and this thread is about Brexit not about student debt.

If you want to make a point about political principles make it somewhere else because they are thin on the ground with Brexit.

As for me I’m from a working class background. My dad was a treasurer in a WMC for 20 years. It’s exactly why I care so much about Brexit - yes the working class have not had a great few decades but the blame for that does not lie with the EU, and leaving the EU is not going to bring the improvements they want and need.

But too late now - have what you want and never say you weren’t warned. I know it’s the only way people will ever learn.

Your social class strawman is redundant, because it doesn't matter: from outright poverty all the way "up" to high-ish middle class, and Leaver or Remainer irrespective, they'll all ultimately suffer the consequences of the vote.

And, for Leavers, regardless of whether protest, ignorance, xenophobia patriotism, nationalism, or whatever other belief or reason fuelled their choice.

Anyone who voted Leave as a protest vote against the British political class, has only themselves to blame for the fact that their vote didn't change anything at all: if anything, it made the situation far worse, and for the whole world to see, point and laugh at.

I find it hilarious that everyone will be poorer because of it. It is how quickly you can recover that counts. This even alone will divide social mobility move than ever. <...>
I don't find it hilarious in the least, at the thought of what Brexit is going to translate as for Joe Average in the UK. Because indeed, it will set back social mobility for years, besides other negative socio-economic consequences.

But then, as a long-time strong believer in one's personal responsibility and accountability, any blame, and any solutions, all lie solely at the feet of those who 'won' the referendum and the GE 2017 (optionally also the next one in 2018, if it turns out how I expect it to) which will have caused those consequences.

And personally, I'm not paying for it this time. I already paid for the pre-2008 party, so find another mug. So far as I'm concerned, the UK bit the hand, so I'm abandoning it to its fate with a good luck wish. Which is far kinder than the alternative :|