The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

it was always advisory so there are plenty of grounds for parliament to over rule the referendum result, but that was never going to happen so i dont know why all the brexiter folk are getting in a tizzy about this possibility

They are in a tizzy because they know their prized democratic victory could be undone in a number of ways by............yep.............democracy

I don’t think the result should be overturned or overruled.

But another referendum that is based on information and facts from both sides makes sense.

We will effectively get this anyway because the next election - even if the current parliament runs to term - will very likely be during the transition period. The election would be very likely to be run on accept/reject platforms based on the post-transition deal on the table.

The beauty of a soft Brexit is that transition back into the EU, or into the EEA or EFTA should be pretty straightforward.

---------- Post added 09-12-2017 at 23:17 ----------

Why would people be happy. The country is getting wrecked. The only comfort is the level of damage limitation that is possible.

---------- Post added 09-12-2017 at 23:20 ----------

It wasn’t an election. It was an advisory referendum.

If we have another referendum and you lose you will respect and obey the result?

" country getting wrecked " , still no positive evidence of this . Carry on with your pointless crusade . You said you were leaving if it happened , it now seems you have had a change of mind

" country getting wrecked " , still no positive evidence of this . Carry on with your pointless crusade . You said you were leaving if it happened , it now seems you have had a change of mind

No positive evidence? Spend a week in my shoes at work.

You will not believe how much bad news is going to come out in first few months of 2018. Practically every business we are working with is shipping out operations to the EU.

That said on a personal level it’s good. Plenty of business for me and a chance to follow clients abroad later. Positive news for my family too - one of my kids will be leaving for the EU for certain and she’s not sure she’ll ever come back. Talented kid, and chances are she’ll never pay a penny of income tax in the U.K.

Really? I was not aware it was in any legally binding.

It wasn't but..

The result was acted upon by the government as promised and as stated in the referendum government leaflet. It was also approved by a large majority consent of parliament, 498 for and 114 against, which then gave Theresa May the power to enact A50.

It wasn't but..

The result was acted upon by the government as promised and as stated in the referendum government leaflet. It was also approved by a large majority consent of parliament, 498 for and 114 against, which then gave Theresa May the power to enact A50.

Indeed. But then the democratic process continues. Bad decisions can be reversed and it’s fair to say that the raison d’etre of both main parties as soon as they get power is to democratically reverse the worst of the legislation passed by the other lot.

That’s the British way and the ding-dong mentality of our politics.

Brexit is here to stay but the details of it are far from resolved. Come back in ten years.

I don’t think the result should be overturned or overruled.

But another referendum that is based on information and facts from both sides makes sense.

We will effectively get this anyway because the next election - even if the current parliament runs to term - will very likely be during the transition period. The election would be very likely to be run on accept/reject platforms based on the post-transition deal on the table.

The beauty of a soft Brexit is that transition back into the EU, or into the EEA or EFTA should be pretty straightforward.

The General Election which Mrs May called originally was intended to be Brexit related. However, there are always other issues which gain attention and are reasons why the electorate choose to vote or not vote for one of the main parties. During the last election social care, winter fuel payments and student debt were more important to many than Brexit. I doubt any future General Election result can be judged to be a acceptance or rejection of platforms of Brexit.

---------- Post added 10-12-2017 at 08:32 ----------

Really? I was not aware it was in any legally binding.

The context of my comments are about the campaigns, which have been ruled to be fair. We all know the referendum result was only advisory and you are not the first poster in the Brexit discussions to mention it.

The General Election which Mrs May called originally was intended to be Brexit related. However, there are always other issues which gain attention and are reasons why the electorate choose to vote or not vote for one of the main parties. During the last election social care, winter fuel payments and student debt were more important to many than Brexit. I doubt any future General Election result can be judged to be a acceptance or rejection of platforms of Brexit.

---------- Post added 10-12-2017 at 08:32 ----------

The context of my comments are about the campaigns, which have been ruled to be fair. We all know the referendum result was only advisory and you are not the first poster in the Brexit discussions to mention it.

*my bold

1. Any future General Election will have a darn sight more detail about Brexit than the simplistic referendum and we already know a lot more about the possible outcome of the process and there will be oceans more by the time of the next vote. And - it will be judged as an acceptance or rejection of Brexit.

2. Another unfortunate choice of words. You seem to be afflicted with these phrases. No one ruled anything to be fair. The Electoral Commission are looking into several matters from both sides. The campaigns of all sides are a spins on dubious 'facts' and a catalogue of deception according to the other sides. That the Electoral Commission have not set aside the result is nowhere near "being ruled to be fair'.

They are fair comments, but the fact is the UK voted to leave the EU because many people, who voted to leave were unhappy about the free movement of people, but did not have a problem with the UK mutually trading with all EU members. Any Brexit agreement has to end the free movement of people between the UK and the remaining EU members, otherwise the EU referendum result delivered by the democratic UK electorate will not be respected or honoured.

The UK can simply implement the same rules that were implemented in other EU nations to stop EU citizens being eligible for benefits without working X months. In fact, that is exactly what will happen as part of the Brexit deal as this is the only way that the UK can retain its much needed skilled EU workforce.

All in all I am delighted with the way Brexit is developing at the moment - the UK gets its 'sovereignty', the EU loses a braking force on integration and as things stand the UK will not significantly alter its relation with the EU whilst opening up further opportunities.

Now let's hope May keeps things ticking along nicely, the ploy where she used the DUP to ensure single market access was masterful. (Credit where credit is due)

*my bold

1. Any future General Election will have a darn sight more detail about Brexit than the simplistic referendum and we already know a lot more about the possible outcome of the process and there will be oceans more by the time of the next vote. And - it will be judged as an acceptance or rejection of Brexit.

2. Another unfortunate choice of words. You seem to be afflicted with these phrases. No one ruled anything to be fair. The Electoral Commission are looking into several matters from both sides. The campaigns of all sides are a spins on dubious 'facts' and a catalogue of deception according to the other sides. That the Electoral Commission have not set aside the result is nowhere near "being ruled to be fair'.

Yes assuming there is not another General Election before negotiations are concluded, then the electorate will have more detail about future arrangements. That still doesn't mean each individual voter will be accepting or rejecting any Brexit agreement. The referendum was a one issue vote, while a General Election is never a one issue vote for all the electorate.

I agree both campaigns during the referendum were poor, but the result was fair.