The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

I don't think this can be true - just look at the scale of war in Syria currently, and yet its all reported in great detail in the MSM, youtube etc. Doesn't seem to stop people being willing or being forced to fight.

Civil war is another cup of tea altogether...

Its not really a civil war though. Both sides involve various state actors in the fighting. Its a regional war.

It's also a proxy war with Russia, Iran, Iraq, Hezbollah supporting the Syrian government and the USA, UK, France, Turkey, Israel and the Arab league supporting the Syrian opposition.

Unless any of them have swopped sides since the last time I looked, which would not surprise me in the least.

Proxy wars can escalate into international conflicts which isn't a comforting thought.

Add in the current tensions between China and the USA and we live in interesting times!

Fortunately we have a cool, mature and sensible hand on the tiller, the Donald will sort it out. :o

The topic has moved on a bit now, but obviously I asked and got a response, so ignore this post everyone except sibon and L00b :D

I'm all of those things Ash. And pretty proud of it really. Especially given my starting point in life. My well offness and education are a testament to my own hard work and parental influence. I can promise you that there were very few silver spoons to stick in your mouth in 1970s Dinnington.

My guesses I already knew because I've read all of the list's posters for a while. And so you should be proud...btw : )

Since you asked a personal question, here's a personal answer, away from the debating noise and fury.

Dunno about well-off (not wealthy, certainly, but we don't want for much...and yes, it's 100% down to graft, with a side helping of luck and opportunity-grabbing: I owe nothing to no one, in this or another country, everything we have and are, is down to my wife and I),

Ah yes, sorry I forgot about the classes :) I think even though you don't recognise classes, and nor do I to an extent, I am British and never lived anywhere else, so a smidgeon of recognising class is inbuilt :hihi:

-

The point being though sibon/L00b, that in the list of posters who I know from reading in here, are all intelligent, doing well, and are in (whether recognise or not) a class - who I think most of whom voted remain.

You're all hardly a broad sweep of the general population are you?

-

Side note:

Earlier in the thread I mentioned I was going to watch that Wife Swap - Brexit special, which was even more crap than it sounds - and it was on C4 :hihi::gag: It basically took an educated; middle class; doing well couple; remainers, swap with a couple of older people who were quite obviously brexit thickos (not meaning in nasty way, just C4 type language).

The only thing that the couple said that made any sense, was that the richer liberal people didn't see the people at the bottom. I thought there WAS something in that.

The other significant thing in it was when the brexit woman had dinner with the rich ones, and I was shocked at how they edited it at how rude one of them was with absolutely no reason. It reminds me of facebook type comments, but real! :hihi: I think this place has made a turn in this direction through progress and change.

(p.s. another scene said 'let's meet some foreigners on a night out to see what they are like?', and the rich ones took him out with some Polish people... how fair was that?! :hihi: Polish people that I've met in taxi are generally more British cultured than most Brits :hihi:) I thought that was so embarrassing, cringeworthy really)

I also learned, never ever record things like that again - it was dreadful, and I fuming after it.

We are heading for a disaster. A year ago, we were one of the strongest economies in the world, in the most succesful trade bloc ever seen. Now we are a laughing stock. If you think your wages have gone down in the last ten years, you've seen nothing yet.

Yes, I think everyone's will go down, however like my point above (didn't mean to go on about that programme so much) - the richer will lose out, but the poorer feel it more, and probably why so many voted as such.

So, latest polling indicates that if the referendum were held now remain would win.

It's going to be a brave politician who pushes this through now. Neither May or Corbyn have got the nuts

The topic has moved on a bit now, but obviously I asked and got a response, so ignore this post everyone except sibon and L00b :D

My guesses I already knew because I've read all of the list's posters for a while. And so you should be proud...btw : )

Ah yes, sorry I forgot about the classes :) I think even though you don't recognise classes, and nor do I to an extent, I am British and never lived anywhere else, so a smidgeon of recognising class is inbuilt :hihi:

-

The point being though sibon/L00b, that in the list of posters who I know from reading in here, are all intelligent, doing well, and are in (whether recognise or not) a class - who I think most of whom voted remain.

You're all hardly a broad sweep of the general population are you?

-

Side note:

Earlier in the thread I mentioned I was going to watch that Wife Swap - Brexit special, which was even more crap than it sounds - and it was on C4 :hihi::gag: It basically took an educated; middle class; doing well couple; remainers, swap with a couple of older people who were quite obviously brexit thickos (not meaning in nasty way, just C4 type language).

The only thing that the couple said that made any sense, was that the richer liberal people didn't see the people at the bottom. I thought there WAS something in that.

The other significant thing in it was when the brexit woman had dinner with the rich ones, and I was shocked at how they edited it at how rude one of them was with absolutely no reason. It reminds me of facebook type comments, but real! :hihi: I think this place has made a turn in this direction through progress and change.

(p.s. another scene said 'let's meet some foreigners on a night out to see what they are like?', and the rich ones took him out with some Polish people... how fair was that?! :hihi: Polish people that I've met in taxi are generally more British cultured than most Brits :hihi:) I thought that was so embarrassing, cringeworthy really)

I also learned, never ever record things like that again - it was dreadful, and I fuming after it.

Yes, I think everyone's will go down, however like my point above (didn't mean to go on about that programme so much) - the richer will lose out, but the poorer feel it more, and probably why so many voted as such.

To help complete the picture, I voted remain, do a job that a part trained chimp could do and have handful of GCSEs. Oh and me bronze at swimming. My slightly higher skilled colleagues voted remain, we were worried how it would effect the business and we were right, it's made importing stuff more expensive. I also had little faith in Cameron running the country with a majority.

Oh for a return of those carefree days!

Very poor, must try harder.

Or alternatively try to explain your point of view in a rational and well constructed manner.

Only kidding, we all know you can't do that. :D

Go on then. Dangle the carrot, and I'll bite... I don't want you to feel left out :D

I'm not writing everything out again, I wrote hundreds of posts in the build up to the ref.

Some bedtime reading: reasons for vote :)Link1 Link2

My prediction of remain win, wrong :hihi:

So, latest polling indicates that if the referendum were held now remain would win.

It's going to be a brave politician who pushes this through now. Neither May or Corbyn have got the nuts

You mean there's no politician brave enough to plunge the country into a constitutional crisis by invalidating an act of parliament and a referendum?

The European Union are committed to the end goal. Lets keep that in mind. They do not want a reversal.

To help complete the picture, I voted remain, do a job that a part trained chimp could do and have handful of GCSEs. Oh and me bronze at swimming. My slightly higher skilled colleagues voted remain, we were worried how it would effect the business and we were right, it's made importing stuff more expensive. I also had little faith in Cameron running the country with a majority.

Oh for a return of those carefree days!

Well other than a few obvious votes that both camps knew the others would get tin, it was pretty open vote - probably why it had such a large % of participants. I don't like generalising, but since almost everyone else does, I just join in :hihi:

My thoughts were this - Pre-2004, I don't have much recollection of ever discussing the EU in any kind of detail we have had since. I'm always open-minded, but it will take a lot to convince me that Blair's choice was right. I don't think we would be having this discussion (other than perhaps about the Euro)

---------- Post added 03-07-2017 at 19:46 ----------

Suits me, have it.

I've never cheered like a win. I don't feel smug.

I still think it's a better option, but that's about it.

Edited by *_ash_*