The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

I wasn't blaming the EU for anything. After the UK leaves the EU, it will be up to the UK Government to pay farm subsidies which they judge to be in the national interest and there will be winners and losers. A high so called divorce settlement might not be in the national interest, even if it does pave the way for a free trade deal with the EU. There are good arguments that the UK would be better off with a no deal with the EU.

'The EU didn't prevent BSE' etc. etc.

Sounds a lot like blaming the EU.

The UK won't be able to pay the farm subsidies, especially in case of a deal, but then a lot of the payment from the UK will go to paying those subsidies. Again, all matters that should have been considered before rushing into this situation. Matters that weren't, as is becoming abundantly clear.

Already pointed this out, and others have pointed out the damage to British farms.

I doubt there will be any damage, people said the same when the minimum wage was introduced and farms had to implement it. In any-case a great deal of these farmers especially in Cornwall and Wales actually voted leave so should have understood the consequences before voting. By voting leave they will have known that the CAP subsidies they previously got would end.

---------- Post added 10-12-2017 at 18:20 ----------

Well, take a look at your post :hihi:

I know, hence the big grin..:)

I doubt there will be any damage, people said the same when the minimum wage was introduced and farms had to implement it. In any-case a great deal of these farmers especially in Cornwall and Wales actually voted leave so should have understood the consequences before voting. By voting leave they will have known that the CAP subsidies they previously got would end.

---------- Post added 10-12-2017 at 18:20 ----------

I know, hence the big grin..:)

Hold on......this is a negotiation outcome that can’t have been known. Can I borrow your crystal ball :hihi:

No I’m making a positive case for British farmers. We won’t be in the CAP anyway. Yes they will have to change and adapt over time but flooding the U.K. with cheap food is going to damage farmers, the countryside and rural communities.

The EU has been flooding (dumping) Africa with cheap food for decades, damaging farmers livelihoods and ruining economies.

But then you have to consider where food would be diverted from and the impact from pollution. Already pointed this out, and others have pointed out the damage to British farms. Not very patriotic are you?

Yes, I wasn't very patriotic when I voted to remain in the EU. I am beginning to regret the way I voted. I was very patriotic, yesterday when I stocked a big chest freezer full of British beef bought at £4.50 kilo. I took advantage of cheap beef bought from my local supermarket.

What about all those diesel lorries which bring in goods from the EU, they must cause a fair amount of pollution?

Hold on......this is a negotiation outcome that can’t have been known. Can I borrow your crystal ball :hihi:

What do you mean cant have been known? Of course it was as it was always on the cards that by leaving we would no longer get CAP subsidies. Dont forget there was no such thing as a soft or hard Brexit at that time.

The EU has been flooding (dumping) Africa with cheap food for decades, damaging farmers livelihoods and ruining economies.

At what point does famine relief become dumping?

---------- Post added 10-12-2017 at 18:45 ----------

What do you mean cant have been known? Of course it was as it was always on the cards that by leaving we would no longer get CAP subsidies. Dont forget there was no such thing as a soft or hard Brexit at that time.

Ahh, so you knew what bits we would lose and what bits we would keep - remind me about next Saturday's numbers again