The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

The EU is the parent we are the child?

Hard Brexiters are the ‘children’

Time for common sense all round.

But As I’ve said before maybe we should go with the hardest Brexit possible - the only way they are going to learn.

They., who are they?

The politicians who are agitating for no deal Brexit. It’s utter political suicide.

And the people who support it. For many of them it’ll be a personal economic suicide.

There’s a middle path. And that is a Brexit with a transitional period that keeps things pretty much as they already are.....for a time at least.

Cards on the table for me. I have little to lose either way. I just don’t want to see our country damaged any more than it has been, and would rather avoid the very angry aftermath of a no deal Brexit.

Common sense.

The politicians who are agitating for no deal Brexit. It’s utter political suicide.

And the people who support it. For many of them it’ll be a personal economic suicide.

There’s a middle path. And that is a Brexit with a transitional period that keeps things pretty much as they already are.....for a time at least.

Cards on the table for me. I have little to lose either way. I just don’t want to see our country damaged any more than it has been, and would rather avoid the very angry aftermath of a no deal Brexit.

Common sense.

What middle path you mean like Norway? That would not be an exit from the EU, just a capitulation. they really want need our contribution. http://uk.businessinsider.com/brexit-eu-members-net-contributions-and-net-funding-2016-12

Edited by phil752

What middle path you mean like Norway? That would not be an exit from the EU, just a capitulation.

Not at all, it was one of the options touted by Boris during the campaign. The Norway option would be entirely respecting the result of the referendum.

A year old, did you forget this little gem:-

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/nov/28/uk-and-eu-agree-brexit-divorce-bill-that-could-reach-57bn

The Eurozone economy is powering ahead of us, by some margin.

The reality is that our government is still at "cake and eat it". That will soon be changing. Hard Brexit is a none starter, and the deal we want doesn't exist outside the EEA.

---------- Post added 20-12-2017 at 03:45 ----------

The sun today are advertising (it's not news) that the tories will repeal the working time directive "freeing" up workers to do more overtime.

In reality they can already do overtime if they wish, but they can't be forced to. Repealing the act will make it possible for companies to force people to work more hours contractually, or to discipline (ie sack) them for refusing.

Yeah, sovrinty.

Hillarious watching the deflection.. but but but... the EU! :hihi:

He'll need more funding, what with all the data sharing with other intelligence agencies in Europe ending, and exiting interpol.

But yay, sovrinty. :roll:

Indeed, it's a not a maybe, or a could happen:-

Sawers was giving evidence to about the UK’s failure to win a vote at the UN general assembly to secure a seat for the British candidate on the international court of justice (ICJ).

The defeat has been seen as a symbol of a wider loss of UK influence at the UN in the wake of Brexit.

Former UK ambassador to the UN, Lord Hannay, said some had spotted the UK’s decline in influence like a shark spots blood in the water. He added: “The trepidation index, when people mind if they trample on our toes, has gone down.”

It's already happening! "Doom and gloom" apparently... lol, that ole chestnut again!

Edited by Magilla

Red carpet rolled out for EU banks. It is a mystical red carpet, but an interesting ploy - EU banks can keep their UK operations going as branches rather than subsidiaries. How exciting!

The practical effect is that the UK accepts non-direct regulaton of banks. unfortunately this masterplan to keep trading here might not be reciprocated. I do think we are seeing what Brexit was really about though...

Red carpet rolled out for EU banks. It is a mystical red carpet, but an interesting ploy - EU banks can keep their UK operations going as branches rather than subsidiaries. How exciting!

Jobs... the UK can't afford the loss of employment that forcing the EU banks out would cause, and the knock on effects for other sectors that rely on these banks. Also, those banks contribute quite a lot to UK exports.

We need them more than they need us, and government knows it!

It's desperate attempt to ease the economic damage of Brexit, trying to close the stable door after the horse, the straw, the stable and the door frame have all gone.

A joke doing the rounds in Europe ATM, "Brexit is like chopping off your arm to save on gloves but when you get to the shop you realise you have to buy them in pairs" :hihi:

Edited by Magilla

Jobs... the UK can't afford the loss of employment that forcing the EU banks out would cause, and the knock on effects for other sectors that rely on these banks. Also, those banks contribute quite a lot to UK exports.

We need them more than they need us, and government knows it!

Exactly. I am awaiting Car Boot's eulogy of capitalism being bestowed on the UK by the EU *yaddi*yaddy*ya* whilst it is increasingly clear that all the government wants are unilateral free trade arrangements whereby the country will dance to the tunes of big business.

The practical effect is that the UK accepts non-direct regulaton of banks. unfortunately this masterplan to keep trading here might not be reciprocated. I do think we are seeing what Brexit was really about though...

and what was that please, for those of us unable to comprehend anything beyond the dog-whistle soundbites of freedom and sovereignty ?

Exactly. I am awaiting Car Boot's eulogy of capitalism being bestowed on the UK by the EU *yaddi*yaddy*ya* whilst it is increasingly clear that all the government wants are unilateral free trade arrangements whereby the country will dance to the tunes of big business.

Or.. total silence ;)

More good news here, especially for the North.

Economic exposure to Brexit in regions and countries on both sides of The Channel

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/pirs.12334/full

The UK's national level of Brexit exposure is 12.2 per cent of UK GDP and 11.3 per cent of UK labour income. In contrast, the rest of EU in aggregate face an exposure to Brexit, which is only 2.64 per cent of their combined GDP and 2.62 per cent of their combined labour income.

The UK and its regions are far more vulnerable to trade-related risks of Brexit than other EU member states and their regions.

The UK's exposure to Brexit is some 4.6 times greater than that of the rest of other EU as a whole, and the UK regions are far more exposed to Brexit risks than regions in other EU countries, except for those in Ireland. As such, in all likelihood the potential impacts of either no deal between the UK and the EU or a bad deal whereby the UK's access to the Single Market and the Customs Union is heavily curtailed, are far more damaging for the UK than for the rest of the EU.

Meanwhile:-

Household finances are worse since Brexit vote

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/dec/15/uk-household-finances-dip-after-brexit-vote-says-bank-of-england

Edited by Magilla