The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

hardly an environmentally friendly solution
Little to no environmental issues with modern refuse incineration plants (relative to conventional fossil fuel plants).

There's been one in my home city in France for about 47 years (population 200.000 approx) , cogeneration-based ('CHP', for combined heat and power: burn refuse to produce electricity, capture heat from electricity production and use that for local heating).

It's been heating at least a third of urban dwellings in winter and heating water for these all year-round, year-in, year-out all that time.

Very cheaply so, very reliably so, with regular major updates to gradually convert towards biomass-based solutions.

Tons of environmental benefits: electricity and heat 100% produced from local resources (local refuse, renewable biomass), no boilers needed (nor to be found) in the dwellings supplied, no gas nor oil piping required (nor supplies), <...>

It's really not the environmental boogeyman which the public still seems to commonly perceive. But the max benefits are only really available in an urban context (density helps re. cogenerated heat). And it's got to be done right, of course. So, preferably kept as a not-for-profit operation.

Edited by L00b

But lets face it - it's far too easy to point at one example of a dirty CHP waste plant, point at some EU rules and whine the Bruxelles mandarins (unelected dontcha know) are forcing it upon the plucky brits and stir up a bit of hatred.

Thats why you just dont get civilised debate anymore on such subjects.

Leeds has built a new one I understand so clean most people dont realise it even exists.

Welcome back, Mr O :) But then, you're back just as I'm leaving next month :(

Ah well, I'll ask the hound to leave some boars around for ye, for when you're next over :D

Meh I'm only back for a few months until this client is safely transferred over to the Fatherland :) Money was too good to refuse :)

Supporters of the EU...

Mercenary defenders of global capitalism. Economic vampires who prey upon the member states and their populations. A marked superiority complex and contempt for the lower social classes drive a burning desire to perpetuate the new economic and political European World Order.

Supporters of the EU...

Mercenary defenders of global capitalism. Economic vampires who prey upon the member states and their populations. A marked superiority complex and contempt for the lower social classes drive a burning desire to perpetuate the new economic and political European World Order.

Let's get rid of the EU and make all these problems dissappear,they never existed before it,and they won't exist after it,there are no people in the world who drive these problems except EU connected people..........oh,and getting rid of the EU will cure all known diseases as well.

---------- Post added 15-01-2018 at 17:55 ----------

The EU has one insuperable problem confronting it: no UK deal mean no UK money (and therefore a free UK departure).

The only way that the EU will have any claim for money is if it agrees a deal.

Don't worry,the EU are quaking in their boots,didn't the man of the people say so after meeting Barnier?