The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

If a person is allowed to vote there is nothing in the rules that says anybody has to understand every scrap of evidence to find out which way they should vote.Some people may make their mind up on just one reason,some may have voted because they are racist,others may have done it just to mess it up for the wealthy and the political elite.But the fact is that they are still entitled to vote,we cannot start having IQ tests for everybody or making sure everybody has spent six months travelling around to try and find out if the leave and the remain side were lying which i think both sides did.We cannot exclude groups for not being intelligent from having a vote,it just makes a mockery of democracy.You have a right to disagree and have an opinion but it is not fair to start hurling insults of uneducated and stupid around.That is what happened on the brexit referendum,the educated and the elite thought they could dictate to the population which way they should vote and that we should take notice of them and follow their superior knowledge.The Labour party faithful were devastated that Labour members and voters had voted leave after they had told them to vote remain.They misunderstood the voting public and were horrified to find out that the masses were starting to think and make decisions for themselves.

Thinking for themselves? I think we have pages and pages of discussion on this very forum that shows that what the vast majority of leave campaigners did was simply go with the campaign that was telling them what they had already decided they wanted to believe.

That is what happened on the brexit referendum,the educated and the elite thought they could dictate to the population which way they should vote and that we should take notice of them and follow their superior knowledge.

Don’t know about the elite,but surely listening to those who are educated and have superior knowledge is a reasonable way of forming your own opinion on any subject.

---------- Post added 18-01-2018 at 16:52 ----------

Fair enough. We're all entitled to a personal opinion. :)

It always seems to lead us to Britain having to do something dramatic to get the European mainland out of the mess it's made for itself. Whether it's war or Brexit, the thread is common, and I believe history will ultimately prove it so.

Not sure if this was ever the case ,but I very much doubt that it will be true in the future.The world has changed around us .

Edited by RJRB

you saying there is a difference between them and easter Europeans?

I'm not sure that Indians and Pakistanis observe Easter (unless they're Christian).

But there is clearly a difference:

Indians and Pakistanis live in Commonwealth countries and, to a certain extent, have a history shared with the UK.

Eastern Europeans don't. Their rights to be in the UK stem chiefly from the EU's crackpot open-door 'Freedom of Movement' policy.

That is what happened on the brexit referendum,the educated and the elite thought they could dictate to the population which way they should vote and that we should take notice of them and follow their superior knowledge.

Don’t know about the elite,but surely listening to those who are educated and have superior knowledge is a reasonable way of forming your own opinion on any subject.

---------- Post added 18-01-2018 at 16:52 ----------

Not sure if this was ever the case ,but I very much doubt that it will be true in the future.The world has changed around us .

There were plenty of educated and knowledgable people in the Leave campaign though. Boris Johnson, Michael Gove etc. (I can't stand either of them but they are supposedly educated and knowledgable.)

The people who swung it for me were the standing MEPs (sorry, can't remember their names but there were quite a few) who wanted out. Surely they have the insider knowledge of what goes on.

Nothing that's happened since Brexit has changed my mind, in fact the petty and snide way the EU top dogs have behaved has just convinced me more.

I'm not sure that Indians and Pakistanis observe Easter (unless they're Christian).

But there is clearly a difference:

Indians and Pakistanis live in Commonwealth countries and, to a certain extent, have a history shared with the UK.

Eastern Europeans don't. Their rights to be in the UK stem chiefly from the EU's crackpot open-door 'Freedom of Movement' policy.

No,their rights stem from the UK being willing EU members,courtesy of their governments wishes over the years to be part of the club,and the subsequent need to comply with the agreements they signed up to..........scapegoating the EU is the reason why you are where you are.