The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

The NMW is set to rise to £7.83 per hour for people who are at least 25 years old in April. I can't for the life of me understand how this is possible?

!

Unfortunately, £7.83 in post referendum money is only worth £7.03 in pre-referendum money. So, your pay rise for poor people isn't all that...

Then, Im afraid to say, you are some what deluded.

And minimum wage goes up every year - come what may.

he knows, hes just swapped things around so he can carry on feeling like robin hood

---------- Post added 22-01-2018 at 17:22 ----------

There was nothing stopping the government raising the NMW before Brexit,or for companies to give pay rises to those on low wages.

it HAS been rising, year on year on year

what hes been spouting is just the usual nonsense to make himself look popular

---------- Post added 22-01-2018 at 17:23 ----------

Unfortunately, £7.83 in post referendum money is only worth £7.03 in pre-referendum money. So, your pay rise for poor people isn't all that...

thats true, we get a rise BUT as sterling has fell, then the rise means bugger all

Is there any point continuing the debate? We will be leaving the EU. We will be leaving the SM and CU. Both Tories and Labour would/will do this. They have no alternative or they are history.... Labour will fudge until we have left, they have to or they'd lose support from Brexiteers. They can't win without them. The last thing Labour want is a GE before March 2019...

Is there any point continuing the debate? We will be leaving the EU. We will be leaving the SM and CU. Both Tories and Labour would/will do this. They have no alternative or they are history....

Most Labour voters now favour staying within the customs union and single market.

Labour will fudge until we have left, they have to or they'd lose support from Brexiteers. They can't win without them. The last thing Labour want is a GE before March 2019...

Damned if they do, damned if they don't... Interesting times ahead.

Is there any point continuing the debate? We will be leaving the EU. We will be leaving the SM and CU. Both Tories and Labour would/will do this. They have no alternative or they are history.... Labour will fudge until we have left, they have to or they'd lose support from Brexiteers. They can't win without them. The last thing Labour want is a GE before March 2019...

looks like the tories are fudging too really

Most Labour voters now favour staying within the customs union and single market.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't... Interesting times ahead.

It doesn't matter if most do. To push them over the line they need Brexiteers. Lots voted Labour at the last election because they said they were leaving both the SM and CU. It appears they lied. They have lost those voters. They will win the next election if it is after Brexit.

---------- Post added 22-01-2018 at 22:32 ----------

looks like the tories are fudging too really

The policy is to leave both the SM and CU. There are still some tories trying to stop this. But if it comes down to it they will vote with the gov... I think.

It doesn't matter if most do. To push them over the line they need Brexiteers. Lots voted Labour at the last election because they said they were leaving both the SM and CU. It appears they lied. They have lost those voters. They will win the next election if it is after Brexit.

---------- Post added 22-01-2018 at 22:32 ----------

The policy is to leave both the SM and CU. There are still some tories trying to stop this. But if it comes down to it they will vote with the gov... I think.

so, basically, you don’t have a clue what’s going on either.

Glad we cleared that up... I think.

It doesn't matter if most do. To push them over the line they need Brexiteers. Lots voted Labour at the last election because they said they were leaving both the SM and CU.

Their manifesto said they would:-

Make negotiating priorities have "a strong emphasis on retaining the benefits of the single market and the customs union"

Ensure there was no "no deal" option at the end of Article 50 negotiations.

It appears they lied.

Or you are poorly informed.

They have lost those voters.

Staying in the single market and customs union entirely respects the referendum result, it was one of the many options touted by Boris during the campaign.

65% of Labour voters voted to remain in the referendum. It's clear where their base is at, soon they'll have to make their mind up.

I agree though that this is at odds with Corbyns recent statements, so we'll have to see.

They will win the next election if it is after Brexit.

Once the reality of the current "cake and eat it" approach sets in, after Brexit we may very well be in the CU and SM ;)

http://metro.co.uk/2018/01/19/people-want-stay-single-market-brexit-7242029/

http://uk.businessinsider.com/brexit-poll-finds-majority-want-uk-to-stay-inside-the-single-market-2017-8

I did look for anything substantial suggesting most people wanted to leave the CU & SM, but there wasn't any.

---------- Post added 23-01-2018 at 06:54 ----------

It's worth reflecting that I, and many others, voted Leave to give the poor a pay rise.

A great shame then that in real terms they're worse off.

Edited by Magilla