The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

It will be a good deal if we don't have to pay for access.

Food prices will be cheaper because there are tariffs on goods from places like Africa. Therefore we can make a free trade agreement with them and they will be cheaper because we won't have to pay tariffs with a trade deal. That means tariff free trade. In other words things will be cheaper from places like Africa because there are no tariffs. Food prices will be cheaper because there are tariffs on goods from places like Africa. Therefore we can make a free trade agreement with them and they will be cheaper because we won't have to pay tariffs with a trade deal. That means tariff free trade. In other words things will be cheaper from places like Africa because there are no tariffs. Food prices will be cheaper because there are tariffs on goods from places like Africa. Therefore we can make a free trade agreement with them and they will be cheaper because we won't have to pay tariffs with a trade deal. That means tariff free trade. In other words things will be cheaper from places like Africa because there are no tariffs. Food prices will be cheaper because there are tariffs on goods from places like Africa. Therefore we can make a free trade agreement with them and they will be cheaper because we won't have to pay tariffs with a trade deal. That means tariff free trade. In other words things will be cheaper from places like Africa because there are no tariffs.

I repeated what I've said because it seems to take a while for things to sink in. :hihi:

That depends on the quality of the food available,cheap doesn't necessarily mean quality and high standard,the UK have already said that cheap food imports are not going to happen unless the quality is there with it.Plus,you already said that tariffs will be zero on trade with the EU,so the food from there will just carry on the same as it always has.

Edited by chalga

That depends on the quality of the food available,cheap doesn't necessarily mean quality and high standard,the UK have already said that cheap food imports are not going to happen unless the quality is there with it.Plus,you already said that tariffs will be zero on trade with the EU,so the food from there will just carry on the same as it always has.

How low quality or low standard do you think the tomatoes and carrots at your local shop can be if they come from Senegal instead of Spain?

Well I just heard of one of my previous workplaces. They just posted 60 redundancies and are moving some rather chunky mainframe operations to the USA.

Reason? The simple bald answer is they cannot plan for a future because the Govt isn't giving them any idea. They need to upgrade the kit so thats what they are doing but it's going into a USA datacentre.

60 jobs, each of which earns about £110k a year gone. None of them are capable of relocating to the US because they wont qualify for visas.

Well I just heard of one of my previous workplaces. They just posted 60 redundancies and are moving some rather chunky mainframe operations to the USA.

Reason? The simple bald answer is they cannot plan for a future because the Govt isn't giving them any idea. They need to upgrade the kit so thats what they are doing but it's going into a USA datacentre.

60 jobs, each of which earns about £110k a year gone. None of them are capable of relocating to the US because they wont qualify for visas.

I don't know how many times it has to be said. We are leaving the EU, leaving the SM and the CU.

The government has said it. The leave campaign said it. The leaflet said it. David Cameron said it. George Osbourn said it.

I don't believe you unless I see evidence...

---------- Post added 25-01-2018 at 17:24 ----------

Im sure our farmers will be thrilled they will competing with tariff free african farmers. Thrilled.

I don't know, but I'd guess they don't grow turnips in Africa.

I don't know how many times it has to be said. We are leaving the EU, leaving the SM and the CU.

The government has said it. The leave campaign said it. The leaflet said it. David Cameron said it. George Osbourn said it.

I don't believe you unless I see evidence...

And since the company came to the conclusion that could happen, and the Govt despite all it's fannying about hasnt made it clear - they've took the plunge and paid off the workforce. They got perhaps a year longer than expected but they are gone. I think thats a consequence of Brexit dont you?

Tarrifs will be zero.

No they won’t. Not a hope. Unless we are within a trade bloc like the EU

The whole idea that the U.K. can simply unilaterally declare zero tariffs on any product group is complete nonsense.

The dynamics around taking such a decision would feed into every trade deal we attempted to make.

And since the company came to the conclusion that could happen, and the Govt despite all it's fannying about hasnt made it clear - they've took the plunge and paid off the workforce. They got perhaps a year longer than expected but they are gone. I think thats a consequence of Brexit dont you?

Could be or it could be a convenient excuse to ship the jobs over there and blame Brexit... I wonder how many of those £100k plus people supported fishermen put out of work because of EU fishing policy? I wonder how many, if old enough, gave support to miners and steelworkers when they were made redundant... if they did then they have my sympathy. If they didn't, then what goes around comes around.

---------- Post added 25-01-2018 at 17:35 ----------

No they won’t. Not a hope. Unless we are within a trade bloc like the EU

The whole idea that the U.K. can simply unilaterally declare zero tariffs on any product group is complete nonsense.

The dynamics around taking such a decision would feed into every trade deal we attempted to make.

Why would the EU want to damage their own workers with tariffs? If they do then it just shows that we are much better out.

Could be or it could be a convenient excuse to ship the jobs over there and blame Brexit... I wonder how many of those £100k plus people supported fishermen put out of work because of EU fishing policy? I wonder how many, if old enough, gave support to miners and steelworkers when they were made redundant... if they did then they have my sympathy. If they didn't, then what goes around comes around.

You sound like a right bitter old man blaming the EU for your lack of opportunity I'm afraid.