The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

As a nation we have not been able to feed ourselves on what we produce since the 1950's. No politicians ever talks about that.

Very true.

But the unilateral zero tariff plan lauded by Brexiters has also been acknowledged - by Brexiters - as being damaging to British farmers who would be forced to compete with cheap imports.

It will weaken our own food security and disrupt food security elsewhere into the bargain.

---------- Post added 26-01-2018 at 17:53 ----------

I do like it when you make your knowing little jokes. :) I agree that decades of CAP certainly has a lot to answer for.

CAP is not perfect. It needs to be reformed for sure.

But zero import tariffs on all food is not the answer for the U.K.

Inevitably we would end up with the same situation as Norway, where the potential damage to farming became politically unacceptable and high tariffs to protect Norwegian producers were introduced.

Edited by I1L2T3

David Cameron was caught on camera at Davos summit admitting Brexit is 'not as bad as we thought'; the average man in the street has falling living standards, because wages are rising slower than inflation, but millionaires are getting richer. No sweat!

David Cameron was caught on camera at Davos summit admitting Brexit is 'not as bad as we thought'; the average man in the street has falling living standards, because wages are rising slower than inflation, but millionaires are getting richer. No sweat!

I would think that for David Cameron ,walking out on your job might not be as bad as it would be for others.

As a nation we have not been able to feed ourselves on what we produce since the 1950's. No politicians ever talks about that.

I think it goes back much longer than that to the mid 1700's, and we have not been self sufficient since, even in the 1950's.

---------- Post added 26-01-2018 at 20:08 ----------

Very true.

But the unilateral zero tariff plan lauded by Brexiters has also been acknowledged - by Brexiters - as being damaging to British farmers who would be forced to compete with cheap imports.

Our farmers already have to compete with cheap imports so whats new.

It will weaken our own food security and disrupt food security elsewhere into the bargain.

Along with power we don't have any food security.

Edited by apelike

Great to see that Bombardier have won their case against Boeing.

If Trump had anything to do with this reversal then it’s the first time that I have warmed to him.

If it’s nothing to do with him and I am asked to apologise then I will apologise.

Edited by RJRB

I think it goes back much longer than that to the mid 1700's, and we have not been self sufficient since, even in the 1950's.

---------- Post added 26-01-2018 at 20:08 ----------

Our farmers already have to compete with cheap imports so whats new.

Along with power we don't have any food security.

What’s new? Are you serious?