The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

So, May has confirmed the UK will be leaving the Customs Union for a non-specified agreement. I expect the markets today to be quite volatile...

The Brexit news has done nothing much to the markets as all markets globally are down because of the the bad downbeat close on Wall St last week.

The interesting news is that Italian banks have been selling off their domestic sovereign debt because of concerns that they will be hit hard when the European Central Bank ceases quantitative easing. So far they have sold off 10.5% of stock equivalent to 52.6 billion Euros. A sign of things to come with other members.

So, May has confirmed the UK will be leaving the Customs Union for a non-specified agreement. I expect the markets today to be quite volatile...
It will be the CU in all but name, because a hard NI border cannot be avoided otherwise (...and the UK gave undertakings about no border for progressing negotiations onto Phase 2 talks).

I'd expect markets to be well acquainted about that un-squarable 'CU/NI border' circle, so I would not expect any out-of-the-ordinary movement. Yet.

I'd suggest the Free Cake Union for a name. Keeps both the simpler-minded happy ("See? We did get our cake!") and the trading wheels turning ;)

Edited by L00b
syntax

In politics no one wants to lose face,apologise or be accused of doing a U turn.

We will now be heading for A custom union,as opposed to THE custom union.

Whatever.We will certainly be paying more in the medium turn for imported goods and the benefits,if any will be very long term.

In politics no one wants to lose face,apologise or be accused of doing a U turn.

We will now be heading for A custom union,as opposed to THE custom union.

Whatever.We will certainly be paying more in the medium turn for imported goods and the benefits,if any will be very long term.

ah yes, but we all get a free unicorn.

don't we????????????????

The Brexit news has done nothing much to the markets as all markets globally are down because of the the bad downbeat close on Wall St last week.

The interesting news is that Italian banks have been selling off their domestic sovereign debt because of concerns that they will be hit hard when the European Central Bank ceases quantitative easing. So far they have sold off 10.5% of stock equivalent to 52.6 billion Euros. A sign of things to come with other members.

The GBP took another significant hit against both the Euro and the USD. You are right that there already was an expected volatility, but adding fuel to the fire considering there is volatility is hardly helpful.

Anyway, we'll see what the long term effect is. With all the flip-flopping going on in cabinet at the moment I doubt any trader can establish what the actual game is.