The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

I think that Sheffield has probably done worse since 1973.

Do you not agree with that simple statement without resorting to the conjecture needed to reframe the argument to suit your bias?

Bias...

*cough*

You must be a scientist, not a student of English.

*cough*

I think that Sheffield has probably done worse since 1973.

Do you not agree with that simple statement without resorting to the conjecture needed to reframe the argument to suit your bias?

No? OK then, here's some opinion that's both objective and subjective but certainly not conjecture. Sheffield has become a low rent, low income town that's way behind the other cities in the Core Cities group, with a GVA half that of Leeds which had a similar industrial base. The city centre has become run down and swathes are derelict with a 30 year timeline of more retailers and business leaving the city than setting up. The entrepreneur base is so low that it hardly registers and is acknowledged as a problem with low start up numbers and business growth that is more like decline. Population numbers have stagnated while other cities have grown. The city relies far too heavily on the revenue generated by the two universities.

Now for some conjecture. Sheffield is on life support provided by the two universities. If UK government policy changes to encourage large numbers of students to stay at home the population will decline further, GVA will decline drastically, business and jobs will be decimated, and the city centre will look like Rotherham.

So I'll ask the very simple question yet again, HAS Sheffield done better or worse since Britain joined the EEC in 1973.

It's not a trick question. Have a go.

If Leeds has done better than Sheffield then being as both are in the EU it must be something else that caused it...

I think that you are constantly answering your own by line.You are the biggest idiot.

You accuse Truman of re framing the question to suit a bias,whilst you have wandered off on some historic musing which is off the subject.

Even this is confused.

If Sheffield has fallen behind Leeds or Manchester,then one has coincidentally prospered whilst the other has relatively failed.

The success of the University is something to be celebrated.We retain many students after graduation.Heavy industry has declined but light industry,services and finance are building.

The city centre needs improvement,but having spent much time in Manchester,Leeds and Birmingham,as a total package it’s Sheffield for me.

Something from facebook, Poland has lowered its retirement age from 67 to 60, for both men and women.

The Polish economy is growing at a rate of 5%, the UK economy is growing at an unsteady 2%; but the UK economy isn't doing poorly because of the EU, its doing poorly because of poor UK Governments.

Polish economy is growing due to polish workers abroad wages being sent back to Poland and company's relocating production to Poland due to cheaper labour costs.

Something from facebook, Poland has lowered its retirement age from 67 to 60, for both men and women.

Ahh facebook. :)

I think in reality they lowered the age of retirement last year for women to 60 and men to 65 no equality though. The EU was not happy as they are wanting the retirement ages of member states to be the same.

The Polish economy is growing at a rate of 5%,

Actually it is not growing that much. The economy is grew at about 3.4% and projected GDP at around 4.2% and lowering by 2019.

Did you answer the simple question yet? :)

Your question has been shown to be very spurious indeed, an argument you have yet to even attempt to counter.

Are you afraid perhaps that your argument for leaving the EU has no actual substance or truth to it? - like pretty much every other argument made by brexiters.

---------- Post added 19-02-2018 at 13:58 ----------

Are you suggesting that the Conservative Party would not have abused the resources of the state to vindictively destroy the industries which formed the unionised support of their major opposition, and would have happily subsidised the workers in those industries if we hadn’t been in the EU?

ENG601PM, you don't appear to have replied to this yet despite answering several other emails. I was just wondering if I am understanding the argument you are trying to make. is this what you're suggesting? is it? I'm not sure. Surely you know your own mind. Is this what you are suggesting? mmm?

ENG601PM, you don't appear to have replied to this yet despite answering several other emails. I was just wondering if I am understanding the argument you are trying to make. is this what you're suggesting? is it? I'm not sure. Surely you know your own mind. Is this what you are suggesting? mmm?

I'm waiting for the first person to honestly answer my question instead of asking me one back.

Your go. Be the first.

I'm waiting for the first person to honestly answer my question instead of asking me one back.

Your go. Be the first.

Chris Giles, the economics editor of the Financial Times, wrote this week:

Britain joined what was then the European Economic Community in 1973 as the sick man of Europe. By the late 1960s, France, West Germany and Italy — the three founder members closest in size to the UK — produced more per person than it did and the gap grew larger every year. Between 1958, when the EEC was set up, and Britain’s entry in 1973, gross domestic product per head rose 95% in these three countries compared with only 50% in Britain.

After becoming an EEC member, Britain slowly began to catch up. Gross domestic product per person has grown faster than Italy, Germany and France in the 42 years since. By 2013, Britain became more prosperous than the average of the three other large European economies for the first time since 1965.

Chris Giles, the economics editor of the Financial Times, wrote this week:

Britain joined what was then the European Economic Community in 1973 as the sick man of Europe. By the late 1960s, France, West Germany and Italy — the three founder members closest in size to the UK — produced more per person than it did and the gap grew larger every year. Between 1958, when the EEC was set up, and Britain’s entry in 1973, gross domestic product per head rose 95% in these three countries compared with only 50% in Britain.

After becoming an EEC member, Britain slowly began to catch up. Gross domestic product per person has grown faster than Italy, Germany and France in the 42 years since. By 2013, Britain became more prosperous than the average of the three other large European economies for the first time since 1965.

I dealt with that pages and pages back. I literally can't be bothered to find it but you are welcome to try.

You can be first to answer my question if you're quick. Go on, beat Fogey to it. Has Sheffield done better or worse since Britain joined the EEC in 1973.

This is a dead loss, I think we'll go back to #despitebrexit :)