The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

Being concerned about the future of your country and believing that it is making a huge mistake isn't in any way treacherous, blindly walking onward into a situation looking more and more disastrous on the other hand....

Will of the people... Will of the people... Knew what they were voting for... Will of the people.

TRAITOR.

---------- Post added 10-07-2017 at 11:33 ----------

Sorry, forgot to say "You lost: Suck it up Buttercup".

Think that has covered the entirety of the argument...

At least with Corbyn you have a fighter and campaigner.

No, you have a rabble rouser and good spokesman at Leftie rallies.

Doesn't make him good PM material.

This is Corbyn's style - run away:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEQBiCYhw10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOAGEYu5KYU

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/729050/Brexit-must-be-agreed-without-delay-Corbyn-blasts-Theresa-May-over-negotiations

Guest sibon
No, you have a rabble rouser and good spokesman at Leftie rallies.

Doesn't make him good PM material.

The difference between Corbyn and May is quite simple.

Corbyn might, or might not be a good PM. We have yet to find out.

Theresa May is a demonstrably poor PM, with dreadful judgement and an inability to relate to her electorate. That is a matter of record.

I don't think that Labour have to take any lectures from Tories about strong and effective leadership.

The difference between Corbyn and May is quite simple.

Corbyn might, or might not be a good PM. We have yet to find out.

Theresa May is a demonstrably poor PM, with dreadful judgement and an inability to relate to her electorate. That is a matter of record.

I don't think that Labour have to take any lectures from Tories about strong and effective leadership.

Ones Prime Minister the others a loser?

Oh this is going to get nasty!
This has been nasty for a long time.

So the EU have knocked back the PM's offer to EU citizens.
That rebuttal was 100% predictable, the very second UK made its offer: it was significantly less than the rights which EU immigrants (and British immigrants in the EU) have been enjoying for decades, and completely ignored the EU's own offer of 2 weeks prior which was, basically, "rights (of EU nationals in UK, UK nationals in EU) stay exactly as they are".

Then the UK had the cheek to make its offer to the EU conditional on the reciprocating (i.e. the EU would have to worsen its offer!) :loopy:

Now, one thing you haven't seen or read much of in the UK media so far, is how ready the UK government has shown itself to be, to throw UK emigrants (sorry, 'expats' :roll:) under the wheels of the Brexit bus. I suppose they're 'traitors', for daring to live outside the UK, and expendable by reason of same.

Call me selfish but I have to say I'm with the EU on this, I want the same rights enjoyed by the rest of Europe.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40552318
I don't know about 'selfish', but I'm quietly confident accusations of 'traitor' won't be long.

:(

Oh this is going to get nasty!

So the EU have knocked back the PM's offer to EU citizens.

Call me selfish but I have to say I'm with the EU on this, I want the same rights enjoyed by the rest of Europe.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40552318

They haven't knocked it back only calling the proposal "a damp squid." If you read what is proposed by the UK then there would hardly be any change. The UK has also offered to enshrine the rights of EU citizens who live in the UK under international law so making those rights irreversible. BTW what rights do you think you would lose that would adversely affect you?

Don't forget the European Parliament has no say in the Brexit proposals and only has a vote on the final deal. That deal is being brokered by the European Commission and Michel Barnier and not any signatories of the letter from the parliamentary group leaders.

They haven't knocked it back only calling the proposal "a damp squid." If you read what is proposed by the UK then there would hardly be any change. The UK has also offered to enshrine the rights of EU citizens who live in the UK under international law so making those rights irreversible. BTW what rights do you think you would lose that would adversely affect you?

Don't forget the European Parliament has no say in the Brexit proposals and only has a vote on the final deal. That deal is being brokered by the European Commission and Michel Barnier and not any signatories of the letter from the parliamentary group leaders.

I want the right to be able to live and work in any EU country for all members of my family.

The prospect of Border Control Officers patrolling our shores to keep people out and in fills me with immense sadness/anger.

---------- Post added 10-07-2017 at 13:06 ----------

This has been nasty for a long time.

That rebuttal was 100% predictable, the very second UK made its offer: it was significantly less than the rights which EU immigrants (and British immigrants in the EU) have been enjoying for decades, and completely ignored the EU's own offer of 2 weeks prior which was, basically, "rights (of EU nationals in UK, UK nationals in EU) stay exactly as they are".

Then the UK had the cheek to make its offer to the EU conditional on the reciprocating (i.e. the EU would have to worsen its offer!) :loopy:

Now, one thing you haven't seen or read much of in the UK media so far, is how ready the UK government has shown itself to be, to throw UK emigrants (sorry, 'expats' :roll:) under the wheels of the Brexit bus. I suppose they're 'traitors', for daring to live outside the UK, and expendable by reason of same.

I don't know about 'selfish', but I'm quietly confident accusations of 'traitor' won't be long.

:(

I agree with you regarding the ex-pats, they've been left out of this debate for a while and they could be significantly affected by it.

I'm seriously contemplating the Irish passport option for myself and children so that they can keep these rights.

More bovine excrement, Vicar?

Keep it respectful, S.

If you have the appetite, you can then work out the entirely predictable consequences of WTO tariffs applied to (still more expensively built-) British-made cars bound for the EU.

That's the job of civil servants. The economists within DExEU and the Treasury are jointly carrying out extensive modeling of our post-Brexit trading prospects under WTO obligations. You could call this our 'baseline' option which we continue to strengthen behind the scenes.

Since August of last year we started actively engaging with the rest of the WTO membership including the WTO leadership.

Roberto Azevedo the Brazilian Director General is adamant the UK can succeed and trade profitably with the rest of the world through the WTO and he's doing everything he can to make this transitional period as smooth as possible.

Why is it so surprising that our friends and allies around the world want to see us make a success of Brexit? The Australians and Kiwis have extensive experience in trade negotiations and they have very kindly offered us their negotiators and technical expertise. Now you know why Turnbull is in London today.

I want the right to be able to live and work in any EU country for all members of my family.

The prospect of Border Control Officers patrolling our shores to keep people out and in fills me with immense sadness/anger.

I think Austria, Germany, Denmark, Sweden and Norway still have some temporary border controls in place, and although told to lift them they may stay in place for some time yet. This was done in the wake of the refugee crisis but also impacts on other EU travellers. Its also put doubt on the whole Schengen ideal and whether it will survive much longer.

To be honest though I cant see why EU citizens already living here cannot retain their EU status. I cant see any problems with controlling what happens after we leave and putting conditions down.