The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

The fish that is exported by us to the EU is not the sort that many in the UK eat, and as explained previously the fish we mainly eat is not supplied by EU countries.

That is a disingenuous statement if ever I saw one.

Six of the top ten exporters of fish to the U.K. are in the EU, EEA, EFTA or have a fisheries agreement with the EU.

Top 10

Iceland

Faroes

Germany

China

Denmark

Vietnam

Sweden

Canada

Netherlands

India

Even then imports are only £3bn - a fraction of one percent of GDP.

It’s sad who deluded you are about the true economic importance of the industry.

That is a disingenuous statement if ever I saw one.

Six of the top ten exporters of fish to the U.K. are in the EU, EEA, EFTA or have a fisheries agreement with the EU.

Top 10

Iceland

Faroes

Germany

China

Denmark

Vietnam

Sweden

Canada

Netherlands

India

Even then imports are only £3bn - a fraction of one percent of GDP.

It’s sad who deluded you are about the true economic importance of the industry.

"Fears UK fishing industry losing out on £230 million and 2,700 jobs, ITV News learns"

http://www.itv.com/news/2017-10-20/fears-uk-fishing-industry-losing-out-on-230-million-and-2-700-jobs-itv-news-learns/

"Fears UK fishing industry losing out on £230 million and 2,700 jobs, ITV News learns"

http://www.itv.com/news/2017-10-20/fears-uk-fishing-industry-losing-out-on-230-million-and-2-700-jobs-itv-news-learns/

You are just proving my point. Tiny amount of jobs. Negligible impact on GDP.

I’m not saying fishing isn’t important. It’s just not our biggest priority. Nowhere near.

I’m not saying fishing isn’t important. It’s just not our biggest priority. Nowhere near.

Wait while it's your job, then we'll hear you squeal.

It's the UK government that decides how our quota is allocated. If it ends up in the hands of foreign owned vessels that's the fault of the UK government - not the EU.

That report has some very unrealistic assumptions. e.g. Even if all the UK quota was allocated to UK owned, UK crewed and UK based vessels, they would still want to land the fish that were going to be sold on the European mainland at ports on the European mainland as they can get a better price (transportation costs are higher for fish landed in the UK).

If you lived of worked near the coast and your community relied or once relied on the fishing industry, then you would expert after Brexit that the United Kingdom fishing industry would have much higher quotas etc then before Brexit resulting in more local jobs, especially if you voted to leave the EU.

If you lived of worked near the coast and your community relied or once relied on the fishing industry, then you would expert after Brexit that the United Kingdom fishing industry would have much higher quotas etc then before Brexit resulting in more local jobs, especially if you voted to leave the EU.

Hopefully Britain will become a seafaring nation again as it once was; we are an island after all.