The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

Much higher quotas to fish where exactly?

What if Scotland leaves the U.K. and joins the EU?

UK fishermen should be allowed to catch much more fish in their own waters than they are currently allowed to do. At the moment they catch less than 40% of the fish caught while Iceland catch 95% of the fish in their own waters. Scotland fishermen want to leave the EU. Scotland will never be allowed to join the EU because Spain will veto their application. The recent events in Catalonia should really have ended any thoughts Scotland have regarding that issue.

Apart from the best fish and chips in the world,as long as Whitby’s chippies can get their cod and haddock.

(Referring to Mel’s post

Thing is I kind of get the impression that the best fish and chips tend to come from shops owned by immigrants or their recent descendants.

That won't increase employment for UK fishermen much if they don't stop allocating 98.5% of the quota to relatively few large boats. But again, that's another problem that is down to the UK government not the EU.

I am not disputing past UK Governments haven't helped UK fishermen.

UK fishermen should be allowed to catch much more fish in their own waters than they are currently allowed to do. At the moment they catch less than 40% of the fish caught while Iceland catch 95% of the fish in their own waters. Scotland fishermen want to leave the EU. Scotland will never be allowed to join the EU because Spain will veto their application. The recent events in Catalonia should really have ended any thoughts Scotland have regarding that issue.

U.K. waters and the available stocks are going to be pretty limited, even with Scotland staying.

I’m not saying fisheries aren’t important but it is an issue given undue wight and significance in terms of the overall economic contribution. It just shouldn’t be a priority right now. But I guess the complexity apparent from dealing with this one small sector should be ringing alarm bells.

---------- Post added 05-03-2018 at 13:31 ----------

I am not disputing past UK Governments haven't helped UK fishermen.

Cod wars and disputes with Norway and Iceland from late 50s to the 70s are what caused much of the decline. The damage was done even before we joined the EU.

We’ve been left literally scrapping over the crumbs from the table with the rest of the EU.

If we were to leave the EU completely and have our own 200 mile exclusion zone the next step would we how do we police it? How much investment would be needed in the navy and coastguard?

U.K. waters and the available stocks are going to be pretty limited, even with Scotland staying.

I’m not saying fisheries aren’t important but it is an issue given undue wight and significance in terms of the overall economic contribution. It just shouldn’t be a priority right now. But I guess the complexity apparent from dealing with this one small sector should be ringing alarm bells.

---------- Post added 05-03-2018 at 13:31 ----------

Cod wars and disputes with Norway and Iceland from late 50s to the 70s are what caused much of the decline. The damage was done even before we joined the EU.

We’ve been left literally scrapping over the crumbs from the table with the rest of the EU.

If we were to leave the EU completely and have our own 200 mile exclusion zone the next step would we how do we police it? How much investment would be needed in the navy and coastguard?

While paying for the main meal.

The decline of the UK fishing is down to the EU and NATO.

That is a disingenuous statement if ever I saw one.

Six of the top ten exporters of fish to the U.K. are in the EU, EEA, EFTA or have a fisheries agreement with the EU.

Top 10

Iceland

Faroes

Germany

China

Denmark

Vietnam

Sweden

Canada

Netherlands

India

Even then imports are only £3bn - a fraction of one percent of GDP.

It’s sad who deluded you are about the true economic importance of the industry.

A few things to read that may help:

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld201617/ldselect/ldeucom/78/7811.htm

The above is 2014 data but still telling.

file:///D:/Downloads/SN02788.pdf

And another on the fishing industry stating that as many as 92% want to leave the EU.

So not as disingenuous as you try and make out.

While paying for the main meal.

The decline of the UK fishing is down to the EU and NATO.

Ted Heath gave permission to the EU to exploit UK fishing grounds in 1970,the EU didn't just send boats there by accident,plus,successive UK governments signed up to EU fishing policies.

A few things to read that may help:

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld201617/ldselect/ldeucom/78/7811.htm

The above is 2014 data but still telling.

file:///D:/Downloads/SN02788.pdf

And another on the fishing industry stating that as many as 92% want to leave the EU.

So not as disingenuous as you try and make out.

of course, those in a declining industry would want a difference, they have a vested interest, its like trump and US steel, all the former steel makers agree with him. BUT it doesnt show what other factors come into play, what other sectors get damaged or destroyed, or the economy.

Why not have a second referendum?

Aren’t we all much better educated on the complexities of the subject than we were at the time of voting.

I’m not saying that it would turn out differently,but who considered all the ramifications of their decision whichever way they voted.

I am pretty sure that it won’t happen because May has lashed herself to the wheel of the good ship Brexit in the belief that this is her only political option.

She may yet go down with the ship.