The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

True, but the ballot paper did ask if we should leave the EU or stay, the government also backed that up by saying we will implement what you decide.

But the electorate voted on the clear understanding that the government can rarely be trusted to do as it promised.

In this case the vote was to leave so the government are trying to implement that advisory decision which parliament has approved.

But parliament is stuffed with spineless incompetents, with barely a handful prepared to stand up and give the referendum the respect it deserves.

Parliament could have amended the referendum act to include what you state but it didn't so we have to accept that leave actually means leave.

No we don't. Unless we are discussion no more than word definitions.

No, it isn't immaterial, you and your fellow Brexiteers brought this situation about, and you are responsible for the situation that we now find ourselves in.

Yes it is immaterial, and it was in fact the government and parliament that bought this about with their ill thought out Act.

To now try to claim that it's nothing to do with you, and ' we are where we are' is cowardice of a monumental nature.

If you say so..:roll:

I'm calling you out on this, you decided to vote on Leaving and I believe that that decision has had, and will continue to have, a detrimental effect upon the future of this country and the futures of my children and grandchildren.

So back it up, explain why you thought that it was the right thing to do....

Provide some facts as to why you reached your decision, because if you can't provide them, then that would mean that you voted on pure emotion, on a whim, because you believed in all that Ukip BS and had no real grasp on reality, and that would make you look stupid, wouldn't it?

No, what make people stupid is not reading previous posts that stated that the media or the campaigning leading to the referendum had no influence on the decision.

Guest sibon
So considering you weren't influenced by the leave/remain campaign, what else was it?

Well, it wasn't from any first hand experience of modern continental Europe. By his own admission, Apelike hasn't left the country since the mid-eighties. If he had, he might have seen how good the future could be.

I despair of the fact that our future is being so adversely affected by the votes of people wearing blinkers of one sort or another.

But the electorate voted on the clear understanding that the government can rarely be trusted to do as it promised.

No, they voted on the clear understanding that the government would as stated carry out the majority wish.

But parliament is stuffed with spineless incompetents, with barely a handful prepared to stand up and give the referendum the respect it deserves.

But that is a political problem that needs change and know about before this referendum.

Quote by apelike:

"Parliament could have amended the referendum act to include what you state but it didn't so we have to accept that leave actually means leave.

"

No we don't. Unless we are discussion no more than word definitions.

Unfortunately its those very definitions that make up the letter of the law.

Now what would be interesting is if the pollsters had a general poll of the leave voters and asked them what they thought leave meant. I can almost guarantee that it would mean leave as defined, but I doubt it would be polled as the answer is not what they would like to publish.

---------- Post added 10-07-2017 at 23:40 ----------

Well, it wasn't from any first hand experience of modern continental Europe. By his own admission, Apelike hasn't left the country since the mid-eighties. If he had, he might have seen how good the future could be.

The problem is I don't need to leave the country to see how good any future could be and there are many more who think and feel the same regardless of age.

Guest sibon

The problem is I don't need to leave the country to see how good any future could be and there are many more who think and feel the same regardless of age.

But you do.

A trip to Brussels, or Paris, or Rome might just open your eyes to what our young people are about to lose as a result of your vote.

Surely you owe it to them to understand what you have voted against.

No, they voted on the clear understanding that the government would as stated carry out the majority wish.

PMSL.

Now what would be interesting is if the pollsters had a general poll of the leave voters and asked them what they thought leave meant. I can almost guarantee that it would mean leave as defined, but I doubt it would be polled as the answer is not what they would like to publish.

It would indeed be interesting. We know there are people who voted "to keep the muslins out", people who voted because of the bananas, there is a farmer who famously voted leave for the sovereignty, not expecting to lose his EU migrant workforce, some who voted leave in order that remain did not have too big a majority, thousands who simply voted against Cameron and his little friend...

And you are damn right that they wouldn't want to publish the answer: imagine them having to admit the mess they've put the country into because of reasons such as these, with statistics to estimate the proportions they made up.

But there have been surveys and we already know that the two main reasons are:

a) That we've had an incompetent Home Secretary for many years (immigration) and

b) that we've had an incompetent Home Secretary for many years (control of our laws)

---------- Post added 11-07-2017 at 01:23 ----------

Tell you what though. I'll give you number 63 and add it to the official list.

"the ensuing recession is going to bring house prices down."

No, what make people stupid is not reading previous posts that stated that the media or the campaigning leading to the referendum had no influence on the decision.

Yep, you've already said that, but won't say what swayed your vote. We know part of it was personal speculation on the demise of the EU in the future, but not the other reasons.

It's almost as if you're embarrassed.

Are you embarrassed, do you feel duped?

That's from 18 months ago. Very different this year isn't it.

---------- Post added 11-07-2017 at 07:22 ----------

It does not matter as the vote has been cast and I simply do not have to explain why I voted the way I did. Now its up to the government to decide how to implement that decision.

And that decision does not have to be hard Brexit. You know that. So why argue there is no in-between.

As someone with the blood of all three, plus the Welsh, please do tell.

No, it isn't immaterial, you and your fellow Brexiteers brought this situation about, and you are responsible for the situation that we now find ourselves in.

To now try to claim that it's nothing to do with you, and ' we are where we are' is cowardice of a monumental nature.

I'm calling you out on this, you decided to vote on Leaving and I believe that that decision has had, and will continue to have, a detrimental effect upon the future of this country and the futures of my children and grandchildren.

So back it up, explain why you thought that it was the right thing to do.

What facts did you use to come to the conclusion that leaving an organisation we had been part of ( from the time when we were 'The sick man of Europe' and had a three day week ) to a time when we are economically successful was a great idea?

Provide some facts as to why you reached your decision, because if you can't provide them, then that would mean that you voted on pure emotion, on a whim, because you believed in all that Ukip BS and had no real grasp on reality, and that would make you look stupid, wouldn't it?

Here are some "Facts"* that summarise why it might be a good idea to leave the EU.

*facts is a subjective term, used loosely on both sides of the argument!

1. We sell more to the rest of the world than the EU. We are penalised by the EU external tariff. The EU can't seem to manage to get a trade deal with USA, China, Australia, India etc.

Add to this that it looks likely that we will strike a quick trade deal with the US and already our global outlook is looking good.

2. We will have the ability to choose our own immigration policy which affects around half of immigrants into the country.

3. The five presidents report sets out closer and closer integration - the leaders in Europe want close integration of welfare systems, armed forces and increased political union. Perhaps brexiteers don't want that and want to retain more decision making in our own country.

4. When Britain joined in 1973, the states that now make up the EU accounted for 36 per cent of the world economy. Last year, it was 17 per cent. Obviously, developing economies grow faster than advanced ones, but the EU has also been comprehensively outperformed by the United States, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. Why tie ourselves to the worlds slowest growing continent?

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/12/six-best-reasons-brexit-best/