The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE

We will not save money by leaving the EU, we will NOT be any amount better off.

We will be worse off, forever. Considerably worse off. No extra money for the NHS, no extra money for anything.

---------- Post added 14-03-2018 at 13:08 ----------

The entire club worked together to make trade agreements outside the EU, with the weight of the entire EU behind the agreements.

We will be free to make inferior agreements, having lost access to all the EU agreements that already existed. :roll:

---------- Post added 14-03-2018 at 13:09 ----------

Read my post again.

Staying in the EU meant we had MORE money. Money to fund the NHS, or to do whatever.

Leaving the EU will mean we have LESS money. Less money. Much less money.

Dream on, who's money do you think the EU was giving us.

---------- Post added 14-03-2018 at 13:49 ----------

Not as much as we pay in.

Look on it like paying insurance.

We have been net contributors for years and it would be great to think that our economy would be strong enough to continue to do so,and to help other countries for the greater good of Europe.

What seems more likely is that we stop paying our premiums,just as our economic outlook is bleak,and do not get the backing of the EU.

Once again you demonstrate the insular attitude that will damage our standing in the world.

What a load of tripe, have you had a look at how much debt the country is in, were borrowing to give the money away.

But I didn't make a mistake as I purposely voted leave. Maybe as you claim it has affected me you could say how instead of sidestepping that issue as I have already stated a few times that I have not been affected financially. In what way has inflation affected your food prices? as mine has not risen. Mind you I agree it would be hard to prove as retailers have basically cancelled out any rises and absorbed that 2-3% increase in costs.

PS Just going to do some shopping to see if what I normally buy has risen in price.

You haven't been affected financially YET. We haven't even left yet.

Edit - voting on purely whether it would affect you personally is the height of selfishness.

And this little gem:-

However, the government had failed to persuade parliament to back extra taxes, leaving Britain more reliant on a small number of high-earning taxpayers to finance public spending.

“If high-paid jobs – and EU citizens, who are well represented among high earners in the UK – relocate elsewhere, the consequences for the exchequer will be severe,” he said.

---------- Post added 14-03-2018 at 14:23 ----------

PS Just going to do some shopping to see if what I normally buy has risen in price.

No doubt you will claim it hasn't when it clearly has.

The Brexit vote has caused a significant rise in prices, especially food

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2017/11/03/the-brexit-vote-has-caused-a-significant-rise-in-prices-especially-food/

Presumably, Which? is mistaken aswell:

Food and drink prices have risen since the Brexit vote, but which brands’ rises stand out?

We found price increases for many groceries – butter, cakes, jam and fish, for example – but particularly striking hikes for brands of cereal, coffee, tea and mayonnaise. A 100g jar of Gold Blend cost 12% more at £3.70; Kellogg’s Crunchy Nut 750g cost 22% more, at £3.23, and a jar of Hellmann’s Mayonnaise cost around 8% more at £1.88 for 400g. The price of 160 Tetley teabags increased by 13% to £4.01.

Denial.... it''s a river in Egypt isn't it? :hihi:

Edited by Magilla

Right on cue about food rises

https://www.ft.com/content/813bd114-2756-11e8-b27e-cc62a39d57a0

Wm Morrison will pay a special dividend to its shareholders after posting annual results that came in slightly ahead of City expectations.

Britain’s fourth largest supermarket group, which like its rivals is doing well out of food price inflation, said on Tuesday it would pay a special dividend of 4p per share, taking the total payout to 10.09p — almost double what it paid last year.

The group said inflation of prices of imported food because of the weakness of sterling relative to the euro and the dollar has been a “headwind for the industry”. Morrisons has been well positioned within this trend, however, as its supply chain is largely British. The group operates its own abattoirs and also grows its own produce where possible.

Unbelieveable,we've been told that Brexit will deliver a blow to big business and the elite,and here they are making more money at the expense of the Great British Public having to pay more for food.

Where is the Brexit benefit that the people voted for,Brexit is making the rich richer and the poor poorer.

Paywall on the FT, but 'Morrisons increases profit' doesn't suggest in anyway that it's off the back of Brexit.

Broader market analysis here from mid last year

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/06/27/supermarket-sales-grow-fastest-rate-five-years-inflation-spikes/

But again no mention of brexit, although there is mention of specific price increase, butter 20%, which I think might have been previously linked to brexit.

The mid-term effect of goods sourcing is likely to be the largest factor of consideration for British retailers. The prices of fresh produce will definitely go up as much of this is sourced from the EU. In the case of Tesco, for example, almost 50% of butter and cheese consumed in the UK comes from milk sourced from EU markets. Inflationary pressures will further boost the call for locally-sourced/manufactured products as the retailers’ ability to source from the EU suppliers offering better trade terms is adversely impacted. Higher commodity prices and tariffs will also impact production of traditional FMCG products, even though a significant proportion of good are produced locally. Supply chain costs are likely to go up due to higher trade tariffs.

From http://www.kantarretail.com/brexits-impact-on-the-british-fmcg-retail-landscape/

Edited by Cyclone