The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

Quite, the customs union and the single market are not EU membership.

The EU Commission states:

The Customs Union is a foundation of the European Union and an essential element in the functioning of the single market.

The mission of the customs union, according to the EU Commission, is:

Protecting the financial interests of the Community and its Member States

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/general-information-customs/eu-customs-strategy_en

As we will no longer be an EU member state, why should we protect the financial interests of a foreign economic protection bloc? Would you see us pay higher prices for goods just so that European capitalists can get richer?

---------- Post added 26-04-2018 at 15:07 ----------

All are good an beneficial things. Whats not to like about them

Why are you opposed to the UK being able to govern itself as an independent nation?

Why do you believe that being able to decide our own laws on trade and domestic policy is a bad thing?

---------- Post added 26-04-2018 at 15:26 ----------

All are good an beneficial things. Whats not to like about them

In what way is the fact that the Customs Union exports poverty to Africa and the rest of the developing world 'beneficial'? Punitive tariffs discourage trade and ensure extreme poverty for non-EU agricultural workers, from South Africa to Morocco.

You are supporting the right of the rich to exploit the poor. The customs union is immoral.

Staying in the customs union is completely opposed to the result of the referendum.

Not at all, it was never a promise made in relation to the referendum, and indeed staying in the SM and/or CU was one of the many options touted by the leave campaign during it.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/open-britain-video-single-market-nigel-farage-anna-soubry_uk_582ce0a0e4b09025ba310fce

Edited by Magilla

Not at all, it was never a promise made in relation to the referendum, and indeed it was one of the many options touted by the leave campaign during it.

Why do you want the UK to protect the financial interests of a foreign economic power by remaining in the EU customs union?

Why do you want UK consumers to pay higher prices for goods just so that European capitalists can get richer?

What are you hiding?

Why do you want the UK to protect the financial interests of a foreign economic power by remaining in the EU customs union?

Why do you want UK consumers to pay higher prices for goods just so that European capitalists can get richer?

What are you hiding?

Why do you want UK workers to run the chance of losing the rights I listed in post #8522? What's yopur agenda?

What are you hiding?

Seek help dude :loopy:

I see you couldn't dispute that staying in the SM and/or CU were always options after a vote to leave, there is no mandate for a "hard" Brexit without going back to the electorate.

---------- Post added 26-04-2018 at 16:27 ----------

Why do you want UK workers to run the chance of losing the rights I listed in post #8522? What's yopur agenda?

Good luck with that :hihi:

Yep the terrible EU rules ..I mean who wants limits on working hours,at least 11 hours off a day,paid annual leave as a legal right,equal pay for men and women,maternity rights,parental leave,anti discriminatory laws,compensation for victims of discrimination,agency worker protection and health and safety rules... none of them do the working man any good at all do they...

You are aware that the majority of these came from elected British governments?

Trades unions and British governments have done far more to safeguard workers rights in the UK than the EU ever has. Or will.

You are aware that the majority of these came from elected British governments?

Trades unions and British governments have done far more to safeguard workers rights in the UK than the EU ever has. Or will.

They are all EU regs..... I know it's hard for you to comtemplate us poor downtrodden workers from getting anything from the EU but there it is..

How many environmental regulations will be lost once we leave?

Edited by truman

They are all EU regs..... I know it's hard for you to comtemplate us poor downtrodden workers from getting anything from the EU but there it is..

How many environmental regulations will be lost once we leave?

Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 an EU regulation?

Well I never!

---------- Post added 26-04-2018 at 16:59 ----------

The Equal Pay Act 1970.

An EU regulation? Well I never!

---------- Post added 26-04-2018 at 17:00 ----------

The Sex Discrimination Act 1975.

The Race Relations Act 1976.

Disability Discrimination Act 1995.

All EU regulations? Well I never!

Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 an EU regulation?

Well I never!

---------- Post added 26-04-2018 at 16:59 ----------

The Equal Pay Act 1970.

An EU regulation? Well I never!

---------- Post added 26-04-2018 at 17:00 ----------

The Sex Discrimination Act 1975.

The Race Relations Act 1976.

Disability Discrimination Act 1995.

All EU regulations? Well I never!

Being as we joined in 73 there's only one of those that pre dates it and I'd suggest it's been updated because of the EU...do you think they would all have been brought in had we not been in the EU? I look forward to the land of milk and honey that awaits us workers when we've left... :rolleyes:

Edited by truman

Being as we joined in 73 there's only one of those that pre dates it and I'd suggest it's been updated because of the EU...do you think they would all have been brought in had we not been in the EU? I look forward to the land of milk and honey that awaits us workers when we've left... :rolleyes:

Your ignorance of UK law is staggering. Next you'll be telling us all that the UK Minimum Wage came about because the EU regulated for it!

The EU is a Bosses club. It has imposed brutal austerity on the workers and pensioners of Greece. It is a thoroughly pro-business project. If you believe that it's the EU that guarantees workers paid holidays, parental leave and equal treatment, then you have been drastically misled.

In reality, it was the trades unions that won those rights. Their struggles helped create The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, which came out of a mass upsurge in union struggle that helped topple Edward Heath’s Conservative government.

The EU instead based its sacrosanct 'four freedoms' on help for the bosses. The EU guarantees bosses the right to set up business, provide services, move capital and hire labour across its member states. These are the only 'freedoms' the EU cares about.

Freedoms for bosses.