The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

I don't care how you voted, it's irrelevant.

Look at the clip, and then try to justify your claim of "Staying in the single market and custom union would mean the UK would only be leaving the EU in name, which wouldn't be carrying out the wishes of the people who voted to leave the EU."

I don't need to justify anything and have no interest in looking at a clip featuring someone I have never heard of. I have heard of David Cameron, which is why I have posted clips featuring him.

I don't need to justify anything and have no interest in looking at a clip featuring someone I have never heard of. I have heard of David Cameron, which is why I have posted clips featuring him.

No problem, that's your democratic choice.

BREXIT should mean BREXIT, which is what Mrs May said when she became Prime Minister.

And arguably is why she lost her parliamentry majority and any mandate for a hard brexit at the following GE. It is not now the will of the British people.

Mrs May also said 'Britons had to face up to “hard facts” about Brexit, as she admitted there were no “cake-and-eat-it” solutions'.

I think they are doing just that, which is why poll after poll shows the majority want to stay within the SM and have as little economic impact as possible from Brexit. The majority didn't vote to make themselves poorer, and that's looking increasingly likely under Mays plan.

The way things are going it's looking like it'll unravel on it's own.

Edited by Magilla

And arguably is why she lost her parliamentry majority and any mandate for a hard brexit at the following GE. It is not now the will of the British people.

Mrs May also said 'Britons had to face up to “hard facts” about Brexit, as she admitted there were no “cake-and-eat-it” solutions'.

I think they are doing just that, which is why poll after poll shows the majority want to stay within the SM and have as little economic impact as possible from Brexit. The majority didn't vote to make themselves poorer, and that's looking increasingly likely under Mays plan.

The way things are going it's looking like it'll unravel on it's own.

Mrs May misjudged the electorate when she called the election. General elections are never decided by single issues. Leaving and remaining in the EU are not as big a deal to many of the electorate and other issues will have been more important to them, when deciding how to vote in the General Election. However, the referendum was a single issue vote and people will have had different reasons for deciding the way they voted. The fact is the majority voted to leave the EU and that decision should be respected regardless of whether the UK will be poorer or richer as a consequence. The only poll what matters regarding the EU is the poll that took place via the ballot box on June 23rd 2016.

The fact is the majority voted to leave the EU and that decision should be respected regardless of whether the UK will be poorer or richer as a consequence. The only poll what matters regarding the EU is the poll that took place via the ballot box on June 23rd 2016.
And that is being respected come what May on 30 April 2019, so I’m struggling to understand your obsession about the Customs Union and the Single Market, neither of which require EU membership, and the participation in each or both of which still fully answers the definition of “out of the EU” (under whichever metric and stretch of definition you care to use). Per e.g Switzerland, Turkey and a few more.

Unless, under this guise of remain-voting but ardent democracy-respecter, what you really are, is a closet hard Brexiter...then that would explain a lot :D

Edited by L00b

Mrs May misjudged the electorate when she called the election. General elections are never decided by single issues. Leaving and remaining in the EU are not as big a deal to many of the electorate and other issues will have been more important to them, when deciding how to vote in the General Election.

Perhaps, but in reality......

However, the referendum was a single issue vote and people will have had different reasons for deciding the way they voted.

Exactly, that's why the question of what people expect or hope to get from brexit is unclear since they were never asked.

All indications show that most people aren't happy with Mrs Mays approach.

The fact is the majority voted to leave the EU and that decision should be respected regardless of whether the UK will be poorer or richer as a consequence.

Then you're going to be disappointed, of that much I'm certain. No political party will enact a change that will impoverish the nation. Well, not if they want to get elected again.

The only poll what matters regarding the EU is the poll that took place via the ballot box on June 23rd 2016.

Nah, democracy means you're allowed to change your mind.

It's up to leavers to deliver on their promises now, otherwise the project will implode under it's own stupidity and parliament will apply the brakes.

The majority didn't vote to make themselves poorer, and that's looking increasingly likely under Mays plan.

The majority voted to Leave the EU. There was no option on the ballot paper to vote for reduced wealth. You might as well claim that the majority didn't vote to make themselves obese. Or miserable. As none of these appeared on the ballot paper they have no relevance to the vote.

Leading Remainers did make it very clear that voting Leave would entail pulling the UK out of the single market.

David Cameron: "What the British public will be voting for is to leave the EU and leave the single market."

George Osborne: "We would be out of the single market."

The majority voted to Leave the EU and it's various institutions. Something the rich are determined to reverse.

And that is being respected come what May on 30 April 2019, so I’m struggling to understand your obsession about the Customs Union and the Single Market, neither of which require EU membership, and the participation in each or both of which still fully answers the definition of “out of the EU” (under whichever metric and stretch of definition you care to use). Per e.g Switzerland, Turkey and a few more.

Unless, under this guise of remain-voting but ardent democracy-respecter, what you really are, is a closet hard Brexiter...then that would explain a lot :D

You are obsessed with spinning the facts. You know a non EU member that is in the single market has to agree to free movement of people. You also know a non EU member that is a member of the custom union are not allowed to arrange their own trade agreements with non EU countries. The freedom of movement and the prospect of the UK being in control of their own trade negotiations were important issues before and during the referendum campaign. You know a person wishing for the UK to stay in both the Single Market and Custom Union will have voted to stay in the EU and not voted to leave the EU. I agree with Mrs May's stance regarding both the Custom Union and Single Market. Mrs May voted to remain in the EU just like I voted to remain in the EU. I am not a closet anything, I just respect democracy and support Mrs May who is also trying to respect the democratic decision the UK people made in the referendum vote

You are obsessed with spinning the facts. You know a non EU member that is in the single market has to agree to free movement of people. You also know a non EU member that is a member of the custom union are not allowed to arrange their own trade agreements with non EU countries. The freedom of movement and the prospect of the UK being in control of their own trade negotiations were important issues before and during the referendum campaign. You know a person wishing for the UK to stay in both the Single Market and Custom Union will have voted to stay in the EU and not voted to leave the EU. I agree with Mrs May's stance regarding both the Custom Union and Single Market. Mrs May voted to remain in the EU just like I voted to remain in the EU. I am not a closet anything, I just respect democracy and support Mrs May who is also trying to respect the democratic decision the UK people made in the referendum vote

Here we go again.

Were's your justification that everyone who voted leave also wanted to leave the customs union and single market?