The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

The majority voted to Leave the EU. There was no option on the ballot paper to vote for reduced wealth. You might as well claim that the majority didn't vote to make themselves obese. Or miserable. As none of these appeared on the ballot paper they have no relevance to the vote.

Leading Remainers did make it very clear that voting Leave would entail pulling the UK out of the single market.

David Cameron: "What the British public will be voting for is to leave the EU and leave the single market."

George Osborne: "We would be out of the single market."

The majority voted to Leave the EU and it's various institutions. Something the rich are determined to reverse.

And Farage made it very clear that "'In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way."

Also by ignoring those who voted in the 70s to remain in the EU you are ignoring their democratic choices - or is it ok to change your mind? [Can you see where I am going here?]

---------- Post added 02-05-2018 at 21:20 ----------

...My point is that both the remain and leave campaigns agreed before the referendum vote that the UK would be leaving the UK, if the UK voted to leave the EU...

Is the UK leaving the UK?

---------- Post added 02-05-2018 at 21:22 ----------

...Likewise anyone voting to leave the EU are reasonable to expect the UK to leave both the single market and custom union because the leave vote won the election and the UK are leaving the EU. Anybody voting leave, who want the UK to have arrangements similar to either Norway and Switzerland took a big gamble hoping for that scenario and perhaps should have voted to remain in the EU. ...

But we were promised it would be easy and we could be like Norway and the Irish Border questions would be solved with unicorns and pixie dust...

But we were promised it would be easy and we could be like Norway and the Irish Border questions would be solved with unicorns and pixie dust...

We were never promised anything. Politicians spouted visions just like David Cameron had a vision he could successfully renegotiation with the EU before the referendum vote. The electorate had a choice to either stay the same or take a gamble that a vision or visions will become reality. We don't know which visions will become a reality yet.

We were never promised anything. Politicians spouted visions just like David Cameron had a vision he could successfully renegotiation with the EU before the referendum vote. The electorate had a choice to either stay the same or take a gamble that a vision or visions will become reality. We don't know which visions will become a reality yet.

I seem to recall 350m promises on the side of a bus.....

I seem to recall 350m promises on the side of a bus.....

That wasn't a promise just an example of how the EU contributions could be spent differently. That issue was debated and discussed at the time weeks before the vote. Time will tell if more money going to the NHS as a consequence of the UK leaving the EU was a vision that becomes a reality.

That wasn't a promise just an example of how the EU contributions could be spent differently. That issue was debated and discussed at the time weeks before the vote. Time will tell if more money going to the NHS as a consequence of the UK leaving the EU was a vision that becomes a reality.
Only thing is, since the U.K. doesn’t want anything to do with the EU, the ECJ, the CU and the SM, then the U.K. must (re)create an armload of national agencies to maintain an armload of regulatory compliance/equivalence with the rest of the world. Non-exhaustive list:

European Medicines Agency (No real equivalent)

European Aviation Safety Agency

European Chemicals Agency

European GNSS (Global Navigation and Satellite Systems) Agency

Euratom Supply Agency

European Joint Undertaking for ITER and the development of Fusion Energy

EASME Executive Agency for Small and medium-sized Enterprises.

Research Executive Agency (REA)

European Union Institute for Security Studies (EUISS)

European Defence Agency (EDA)

European Union Agency for Railways (ERA)

European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC)

European Food Safety Authority (EFSA)

(There’s boatload more of these)

Now, how much of the £350m per week (gross, at that) will be left, after funding the above (and the balance of others not mentioned), plus the stipend for continuing access (even partial) to the SM, assuming that the U.K. also match-funds historical EU infrastructural & development spend in the U.K. regions?

My £0.02 says the U.K. will be in the red on the exercise, for many years to come.

It was a promise, they said let's spend that on the NHS instead....

Come on Farage wheres this 350m then? You didnt lie did you?

Only thing is, since the U.K. doesn’t want anything to do with the EU, the ECJ, the CU and the SM, then the U.K. must (re)create an armload of national agencies to maintain an armload of regulatory compliance/equivalence with the rest of the world. Non-exhaustive list:

European Medicines Agency (No real equivalent)

European Aviation Safety Agency

European Chemicals Agency

European GNSS (Global Navigation and Satellite Systems) Agency

Euratom Supply Agency

European Joint Undertaking for ITER and the development of Fusion Energy

EASME Executive Agency for Small and medium-sized Enterprises.

Research Executive Agency (REA)

European Union Institute for Security Studies (EUISS)

European Defence Agency (EDA)

European Union Agency for Railways (ERA)

European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC)

European Food Safety Authority (EFSA)

(There’s boatload more of these)

Now, how much of the £350m per week (gross, at that) will be left, after funding the above (and the balance of others not mentioned), plus the stipend for continuing access (even partial) to the SM, assuming that the U.K. also match-funds historical EU infrastructural & development spend in the U.K. regions?

My £0.02 says the U.K. will be in the red on the exercise, for many years to come.

Thank you for emphasising my point, which is the £350m figure was well debated and analysed at the time. The truth is the Remain campaign successfully managed to spin the bus slogan to their own advantage and the slogan turned out to be an own goal for the Leave campaign.

---------- Post added 03-05-2018 at 11:04 ----------

It was a promise, they said let's spend that on the NHS instead....

Come on Farage wheres this 350m then? You didnt lie did you?

For arguments sake were you fooled by what you claim was a promise? I knew £350m wouldn't be going to the NHS each week otherwise I would have voted to Leave the EU.

For arguments sake were you fooled by what you claim was a promise? I knew £350m wouldn't be going to the NHS each week otherwise I would have voted to Leave the EU.

No but then again I'm not a dribbling slack jawed Brexiter either... :hihi:

People need to stop pretending that no one believed the '£350 Million for the NHS' thing. People did believe it...

A Brexiter friend of mine (who is not 'dribbling slack jawed', but a throughly decent person) shared the 'Keep The Promise of £350 Million For Our NHS' Petition on Facebook, just after the referendum, saying "a promise is a promise... and a lie is a lie..."

Edited by nickycheese