The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

People need to stop pretending that no one believed the '£350 Million for the NHS' thing. People did believe it...

A Brexiter friend of mine (who is not 'dribbling slack jawed', but a throughly decent person) shared the 'Keep The Promise of £350 Million For Our NHS' Petition on Facebook, just after the referendum, saying "a promise is a promise... and a lie is a lie..."

If your friend really believed £350 million was going to the NHS, then why would they feel the need to write such a comment on Facebook, just after the referendum?

If your friend really believed £350 million was going to the NHS, then why would they feel the need to write such a comment on Facebook, just after the referendum?

Because of this - Nigel Farage backtracks on Leave campaign's '£350m for the NHS' pledge hours after result:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-referendum-result-nigel-farage-nhs-pledge-disowns-350-million-pounds-a7099906.html

People need to stop pretending that no one believed the '£350 Million for the NHS' thing. People did believe it...

They did, even when it was shot to bits after the referendum many continue to do so. There was no shortage of people on the various news channels saying they voted for leave because of that promise and they expected it to be honored.

That specific promise was the main driver of leave votes, without it the leave campaign would not have prevailed.

Because of this - Nigel Farage backtracks on Leave campaign's '£350m for the NHS' pledge hours after result:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-referendum-result-nigel-farage-nhs-pledge-disowns-350-million-pounds-a7099906.html

To be fair to Nigel, it was the official leave campaign who made the £350m for the NHS claim not him. He was too busy stoking fears about immigration.

Given that Boris Johnson repeated the claim in January this year it's clear that not only did they think people would believe the claim, they think people will still believe it.

That a is fair good answer to my question. My point is that the £350m for the NHS was such a massive issue for discussion and analysis many weeks before the referendum vote and I find it hard to believe any voter would have voted leave because they thought £350m would be going to the NHS each week after the UK leave the EU.

That a is fair good answer to my question. My point is that the £350m for the NHS was such a massive issue for discussion and analysis many weeks before the referendum vote and I find it hard to believe any voter would have voted leave because they thought £350m would be going to the NHS each week after the UK leave the EU.

Why do you think Boris is still repeating the claim if you're so sure nobody is going to believe it?

I can never follow your agenda that to remain plays into the hands of the bosses,the wealthy,the elite etc whilst the common man will be favoured by Brexit.

The wealthy elite will remain so because no government has been able to narrow the gap between the haves and have nots,

The common man needs job security and fair wages,which is largely dependent upon successful businesses in a growing economy.

I fail to see that Brexit will deliver this,and leaving the CU will add costs to the goods that we wish to buy.

Yep,you can see that Rees-Mogg,Johnson,Farage et al are all for "the common man" they've proved it so often in the past..

Why do you think Boris is still repeating the claim if you're so sure nobody is going to believe it?

Boris stated in January the £350m claim which goes to the EU each week figure was too low. I interpret it as he his defending the actual figure rather than the slogan

£350m Brexit claim was 'too low', says Boris Johnson

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42698981

A large amount of (most?) people don't spend time reading analysis in newspapers, watching in-depth news programs, or discussing points on forums, etc.; they see the headline, the internet meme, what their friend at work says, or the promise on the side of a bus, and go with that.

It may not have been the only (or main) reason that people voted 'Leave', but it had an effect:

"Would we have won without immigration? No. Would we have won without £350m/NHS? All our research and the close result strongly suggests No."

Dominic Cummings, the Vote Leave campaign director

Here:

Boris stated in January the £350m claim which goes to the EU each week figure was too low. I interpret it as he his defending the actual figure rather than the slogan

£350m Brexit claim was 'too low', says Boris Johnson

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42698981

Nope. He was repeating the claim.

The foreign secretary said the UK’s weekly gross contribution would rise to £438m by the end of a post-Brexit transition period and insisted leave campaigners were right to pledge extra cash to the NHS.

“As and when the cash becomes available – and it won’t until we leave – the NHS should be at the very top of the list,” said Johnson