The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

Still don't agree he was defending the actual slogan. He is defending the motives behind the slogan which were good motives. I can't see a problem in Boris lobbying for extra money going to the NHS which currently goes to the EU.

The problem is, as has been pointed out to you repeatedly, after we've replaced all the EU agencies we are currently members of, after we have replaced EU farming subidies, replaced EU levels of infrastructure investment and paid for all the extra things we'll need because of brexit (extra border checks, etc.) it will cost us more that we currently pay to the EU. There won't be any extra money available to give to the NHS. We'll actually have less money than we currently do.

The problem is, as has been pointed out to you repeatedly, after we've replaced all the EU agencies we are currently members of, after we have replaced EU farming subidies, replaced EU levels of infrastructure investment and paid for all the extra things we'll need because of brexit (extra border checks, etc.) it will cost us more that we currently pay to the EU. There won't be any extra money available to give to the NHS. We'll actually have less money than we currently do.

dont forget funding our own space agency to get the satellites into orbit, that aint cheap

You're in no position to point out anything to me because none of us here know whether we will end up better or worse off as a consequence of BREXIT.

You're in no position to point out anything to me because none of us here know whether we will end up better or worse off as a consequence of BREXIT.

Like anyone with any common sense though I do realise that setting up our own regulatory agencies is going to cost more than sharing the ones with 27 countries, I do realise that extra border controls will cost more than not having them and that companies are moving work to the EU.

We know there's going to be costs associated with operating outside the EU. All indications are that far from leaving the EU boosting our economy to make up the difference it's going to make it worse.

There are no indications that any increase in trade with the rest of the world will make up for that lost with the EU (not to mention the increased costs of us operating outside of it).

Your argument is founded on nothing more than ridiculously optimistic wishful thinking.

Your argument is founded on nothing more than ridiculously optimistic wishful thinking.

It's more healthy to be blessed with ridiculously optimistic wishful thinking than to adopt a ridiculously pessimistic attitude because the result of a democratic referendum wasn't as expected or the result you wanted.

I suggest you watch the documentary about Syria tonight at 9.00pm called the World’s War on BBC2. We are all blessed to live in a rich country that has a democratic Government which gave the people a choice about their future. The people of Syria would love to swap places with the people of the UK.

It's more healthy to be blessed with ridiculously optimistic wishful thinking than to adopt a ridiculously pessimistic attitude because the result of a democratic referendum wasn't as expected or the result you wanted.

I suggest you watch the documentary about Syria tonight at 9.00pm called the World’s War on BBC2. We are all blessed to live in a rich country that has a democratic Government which gave the people a choice about their future. The people of Syria would love to swap places with the people of the UK.

we may be swapping places with them in the grand scheme of things shortly ;)

And that is being respected come what May on 30 April 2019, so I’m struggling to understand your obsession about the Customs Union and the Single Market, neither of which require EU membership, and the participation in each or both of which still fully answers the definition of “out of the EU” (under whichever metric and stretch of definition you care to use). Per e.g Switzerland, Turkey and a few more.

Unless, under this guise of remain-voting but ardent democracy-respecter, what you really are, is a closet hard Brexiter...then that would explain a lot :D

Participation in the customs union after Brexit would give the EU, a foreign power, total control of UK trade policy. The EU would control UK trading standards and regulations. We wouldn't be able to negotiate trade deals with any other nations. We would have no independence and no control.

Why is the EU so opposed to the UK, a non-member state, running its own trade policy? By attempting to ensure that the UK, a major economic competitor, is unable to outperform the failing bloc by negotiating our own trade deals, the EU is engaging in economic sabotage.

No to the customs union! Yes to economic independence!