The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

Have you heard of the ICJ in the Hague?

The EU's claim papers are ready (and yes, the ICJ would have jurisdiction, under the Vienna Convention).

If the UK doesn't engage with that procedure, and/or does not accept and comply with the ICJ judgement, the UK can pretty much kiss goodbye to any trading agreement of any sort, with any third party country: which country would waste time and resources negotiating with a country, which does not respect its wilfully-consented contractual commitments, nor neutral decisions by its wilfully-consented referee?

I daresay that, for all their bluster, May, Davis, Johnson, Fox <etc.> know that particular score (and check-mating down the line) full well. So don't be fooled by theatrics playing to the domestic audience:

I can't see what they can gain from that, all it does is to delay the inevitable blowback they will get from the brexit wing of the Tory party when they concede. So then one would conclude they might actually believe what they are saying.

Very few posters actually bothering to defend Brexit on this thread now.

They know the game is up. They know the Tories and Labour are going to have to drop the idea.

Apart from they won't though will they. Because like it or not a majority of the UK population voted to leave.

I don't get it, people harp on about our 'useless politicians' and how the every person's doesn't get their say....until the every person votes for something they don't like. Unfortunately you can't have democracy that you agree with.

So suck it up, it's happening. Maybe you should stand for parliament and do something about it instead of carping on the internet. But that would involve some effort!

Maybe brexiteers have better things to do than defending the will of the people on a negative thread about the topic - which serves no purpose because the decision has been made!

Apart from they won't though will they. Because like it or not a majority of the UK population voted to leave.

I don't get it, people harp on about our 'useless politicians' and how the every person's doesn't get their say....until the every person votes for something they don't like. Unfortunately you can't have democracy that you agree with.

So suck it up, it's happening. Maybe you should stand for parliament and do something about it instead of carping on the internet. But that would involve some effort!

Maybe brexiteers have better things to do than defending the will of the people on a negative thread about the topic - which serves no purpose because the decision has been made!

That's just parroted robotic nonsense.

Democracy doesn't lock in a bad decision for ever. That's the whole point: it allows for bad decisions to be reversed or mitigated.

The GE showed that people don't support the Tory version of hard Brexit. The Tories asked for a mandate and they didn't get it. That's democracy.

Now the idea of Brexit is getting more ridiculous by the day. Polls indicate there is no longer a majority for it. Political betting markets show the money is now flocking to it never happening.

And your allies are fewer and fewer on this thread.

I can't see what they can gain from that, all it does is to delay the inevitable blowback they will get from the brexit wing of the Tory party when they concede. So then one would conclude they might actually believe what they are saying.
I don't follow your post/logic, I'm sorry :(

Who is 'they' (-can gain from that)? The EU or May's team?

Which 'they' gets blowback from the brexit wing of the Tory party, in context? The EU or May's team?

If May's team, then how do you conclude that 'they might actually believe what they are saying'?

FWIW, I don't think May's team have anything to gain from a walk out, except for some short-lived political currency to try and delay the inevitable by another few weeks or months at the most. And everything to lose from an adverse ICJ judgement. Hopefully they caught at least a bit of cop on after the Miller case and appeal.

I don't follow your post/logic, I'm sorry :(

Who is 'they' (-can gain from that)? The EU or May's team?

Which 'they' gets blowback from the brexit wing of the Tory party, in context? The EU or May's team?

If May's team, then how do you conclude that 'they might actually believe what they are saying'?

FWIW, I don't think May's team have anything to gain from a walk out, except for some short-lived political currency to try and delay the inevitable by another few weeks or months at the most. And everything to lose from an adverse ICJ judgement.

Thats my point. If they have not much to gain with their intransigence, then why do it unless they actually believe they can just walk away to avoid paying an exit bill?

That's just parroted robotic nonsense.

Democracy doesn't lock in a bad decision for ever. That's the whole point: it allows for bad decisions to be reversed or mitigated.

The GE showed that people don't support the Tory version of hard Brexit. The Tories asked for a mandate and they didn't get it. That's democracy.

Now the idea of Brexit is getting more ridiculous by the day. Polls indicate there is no longer a majority for it. Political betting markets show the money is now flocking to it never happening.

And your allies are fewer and fewer on this thread.

The General Election wasn't a 1 issue election, unlike the referendum. There are many factors involved, not least the vagaries of the electoral system that doesn't exactly give a clear picture. If you look at the votes cast the Tories won the most votes so exactly how is that not a mandate. It is obscured by the system. The Lib dems were clear on their position, so that doesn't exactly show a great support for undoing the decision does it!?

I wouldn't trust the polls if I were you, perhaps they show the same remain potential victory that they showed before the referendum. How did that turn out?

I've pointed out why brexiteers would steer clear of this thread, as has Apelike.

So what, as in these are some possible outcomes.

There are many others. If there was a piece of opinion setting out all of the other possible outcomes then again, so what?

It's just a partial amount of stuff. Neither He, you or me know what is actually going to happen so yes, so what?

---------- Post added 12-07-2017 at 12:19 ----------

I was under the impression that this was a thread discussing the consequences of Brexit?

The link which I posted contained an article written by a man who is well qualified in his field and has been the chief Foreign Affairs commentator for the Financial Times since 2006.

The Brexit situation comes directly under his remit and therefore his opinions carry at least as much weight as any poster on here.

Therefore, his contention that Brexit has gone pear shaped and a choice of three alternative humiliations appear to be our current choices seemed to me to be something that those Brexiteers among us would wish to contest.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjNlejyhoLVAhXjD8AKHe8KB2QQFggyMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fbusiness%2Feconomy%2Fbrexit-cake-is-now-more-humble-pie-for-britain-1.3150708&usg=AFQjCNEqJ4w5KMYwcIfTynEN1S-hebBCZw

So what? Doesn't really illuminate the discussion does it?

Your comment that neither he , me, or you know what's going to happen may be true, but if that's your position it makes further discussion of the subject - at least on your part - pointless doesn't it?

You seem to have all the answers otherwise why bring it up in the first place,

you tell us, seems you don't have a clue, your scaremongering seems to have backfired.

Not at all. I asked you a series of questions so people can gauge whether you understand how Brexit is already impacting on one bit of the financial services sector in this country. The fact that you have dodged answering the questions makes it plain you understand the negative impact it is having but refuse to admit it.

At least some other Brexit supporters are honest enough to admit there will be some downsides to Brexit even if they think it will be better for the UK overall/eventually. You can't even admit obvious downsides when presented with evidence they are happening now.

No doubt you'll post another accusation of scaremongering but the evidence is plain for people to see whether this isn't happening and I'm scaremongering or it is and you are in denial about it so I'll let you have the last word. It might make you feel better about being wrong.