The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

Right then bright boy . I asked the question because I thought Tim had said before that he was leaving the country , but in post 9268 he said " it is you and me that would be taking the brunt" . I wondered why he would say this if he was leaving . If I am wrong and he never said he was/would be leaving , I will apologise . YOU , can carry on with your unfounded allegations :loopy:

I never alleged anything.

I asked questions.

But we all know that Brexiters frequently go in for the ‘leave if you don’t like it here’ line.

Good for you if you don’t subscribe to that.

Yawn.

A load of might, maybe, could, may and what ifs. A few worst case scenarios jotted down on a fag packet nicely packaged up, dramatised and splashed all over the font page to sell more copies.

Remember in the 70s when nuclear armageddon was going to happen and we were all going to die except for a handful of civil servants in a underground bunker. For those unfortunate survivors there would be not enough food, no power, deadly riots on the streets......

Remember the 80s when the industrial strikes were sure to grind Britain to a halt and everything involved with goverment was absolutely positively going to fall apart leading to chaos with not enough food, no power, deadly riots on the streets......

Remember the 90s when the age of the microchip was going to turn and kill us all due to the millenium bug. Planes were going to fall out of the sky, hospitals were going to stop functioning, all modern infrastructure and supply was going to collapse and there would be not enough food, no power, deadly riots on the streets......

Remember in the 00s when the middle east all kicked off again. Oil was going to stop flowing, our infrastructure was not going to be able to cope, supplies were going to run out, operations would cease to happen and there would be not enough food, no power, riots on the streets......

All examples where the threat was identified as real and steps taken to avoid/mitigate its impact rather than sticking head in sand and pretending it doesn't exist.

It really is astounding that in a world based on Fleet Street horse crap anyone is still alive.

... or, it's part of the reason those calamities didn't ultimately come to pass.

Fleet Street are just revealing the governments own analysis of the situation, most of it is just common sense :roll:

Edited by Magilla

All examples where the threat was identified as real and steps taken to avoid/mitigate its impact rather than sticking head in sand and pretending it doesn't exist.

I did sooooo many hours overtime working on the Millennium bug - I guess I needn't have bothered as it never happened.... :hihi::hihi:

You are missing the point. Its not about pro or anti bexit.

[...]

However, that never stops Newspapers snipping out the jucy bits losing all context and publishing such a load of guff as factual reporting. What's even worse these days is that, all that inaccurate and speculative reporting is followed up by talking heads, journalists, opinion machines, MPs and Minsters who all should know better using those distorted facts as some concrete evidence to what WILL happen to minipulate and push thier own agenda on the public.

That's just what is happening here. It sickens me.

I’m surprised your ire is not greater and more focused on journalists failing to do their jobs, rather than on civil servants who are merely doing theirs.

Because if the MSM has shown anything since before February 2016, it is that the vast majority of media ‘faces’ lack any journalistic objectivity, competence and integrity, operating more as mouthpieces or compères than as investigative professionals.

Take Sophy Ridge on Sky last 27 May, ‘interviewing’ Iain Duncan Smith, none of whose lies and half truths were challenged by her in any way. Same with Andrew Marr Sunday before last, etc, etc.

With the IDS one, he was discussing the importance of the UK to France, and asserted that the UK is basically keeping the France economy going by buying French agriculture products.

Now, the UK is a very important partner for France, Ireland and the Netherlands when it comes to agriculture exports, sure. But to state that the UK is keeping the France economy going?

About €7bns’ worth of agriculture products is exported from France to the UK. This is about 15% of the total EU agri-exports to the UK, but only 1.2% of French agriculture exports. French exports of agriculture is about 1.6% of their GDP. So 1.2% of 1.6% of their GDP is keeping the French economy going.

:roll:

Your problem is not realistic or even semi-realistic scenarios, the modelling of all of which are at least informed by facts such as existing legislation, procedures, bodies, volumes and values to begin with. Not their reporting, whether biased for sensationalism or not. You problem is the politicians’ propaganda (and there is no word more apt to describe it) going unchallenged by those whose very job it is to denounce it as such, rather than relay it wholesale.

Anyway, not long to go now until the use-by date for that propaganda is up, and then it’s make-or-break time for the U.K. There isn’t enough popcorn in the world for watching that one unfold.

Edited by L00b

Remember the 90s when the age of the microchip was going to turn and kill us all due to the millenium bug. Planes were going to fall out of the sky, hospitals were going to stop functioning, all modern infrastructure and supply was going to collapse and there would be not enough food, no power, deadly riots on the streets......

I did sooooo many hours overtime working on the Millennium bug - I guess I needn't have bothered as it never happened.... :hihi::hihi:

Can I remind people that it was the media that was predicting doomsday, not those who actually knew about how computer systems, particularly networks operate.

The 'experts' were simply saying that they were in uncharted territory and that they just didn't know how systems would respond to the date change. They gave a worst case scenario as well as a best case one.

In the case of Brexit, almost every reputable economic forecaster is predicting that it won't end well for the UK. Ranged against that is .........well nothing.

Just a lot of people shouting project fear! and an awful lot of wishful thinking!

i voted remain,

and i'm increasingly of the opinion that we should have a hard brexit. so we can really see what a terrible idea it is.

a soft-brexit will give the kippers wriggle-room to say that everything's gone to pot because we didn't do it properly.

5 to 10 to 20 years of being the one-legged man in the bum-kicking contest of international trade *might* be enough to convince us to do Europe properly, like grown ups. Not the privileged, noisy, lying, whiny little kids we have been.