The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

Reap what you sow etc....

I guessed that most of those shouting loudest about furriners and take back control and all that crap would be the hardest hit and it's looking right. Sadly it could leave to large scale civil disorder when they still dont get what they want, and the "liberal left" as they put it seem to have it all

This is so true. My family have spent the last two years getting ready for this, sorting out residency and dual nationality for family members, diversifying investments and savings, safeguarding pension funds, sourcing overseas opportunities for the kids (we’ll have two of them on the continent by the summer). My job is now pretty portable given the accounts I’ve worked on for the past couple of years.

We’re ready and don’t expect to be badly impacted. We’ve already taken the upfront hit with moving funds into currency accounts, getting in early with the residency and nationality issues.

It’s cost us a lot of money already, but despite that I really hope we get the softest possible Brexit. Or none at all.

Car Boot

Like all elites throughout history, Remainers were completely unaware that just because being in the EU was good for them and the bankers, it didn't necessarily mean that it was good for everyone.

i'm an elite?

that's great? do i get a membership card or something?

fwiw, i believe i've got a good understanding of why so many people voted to leave. 'remain' was always about 'accept the status quo' and for millions of people their status quo is crap, and getting slowly worse.

couple that with their/our rare opportunity to cast a vote that would actually affect the outcome, and i'm surprised it was only a 52% win for 'leave'.

Edited by ads36

It’s cost us a lot of money already, but despite that I really hope we get the softest possible Brexit. Or none at all.
It’s the worst I can wish you...

...but with around 300 days to go, all the indications are still that you’re getting a hard Brexit with no deal.

Yesterday’s evidence session before the Treasury Select Committee is all the evidence (-top up) you need. The private sector execs are disengaging from the government and the civil service, effectively they’ve given up banging heads against the ideological brick wall, and decided to write the U.K. off.

As your own professional context may validate.

As you know, we’re all clear now. Repatriating the balance of our GBP liquid assets today, as it happens (expecting GBP to take a slap next week at EU summit time; more so come October time in...4 months: tic-toc-tic-toc-tic-toc). That only leaves our U.K. private pensions to ‘sort’, and I’ve got a Frankfurt-based IFA busy onto that right now. Ironically enough, he’s a Brit :lol:

Pragmatically, when all that is done, then the last bit of contingency planning will be how to get (go fetch-) the M-i-L from the U.K. over to us in 2019, if things turn as bad at street level and transport-wise, as some Whitehall types are leaking.

If nothing comes to pass, bonus points. If it does, we’re long and well clear of the mess, and those who created it can assume their collective and individual responsibilities, and clean it themselves

Edited by L00b

i'm an elite?

that's great? do i get a membership card or something?

fwiw, i believe i've got a good understanding of why so many people voted to leave. 'remain' was always about 'accept the status quo' and for millions of people their status quo is crap, and getting slowly worse.

couple that with their/our rare opportunity to cast a vote that would actually affect the outcome, and i'm surprised it was only a 52% win for 'leave'.

I’m an elite too apparently.

In reality a middle class professional with a family that lives it’s life in more than one EU country.

In reality we’re a family that has sensed the impending problems and has taken as many practical steps as possible so that we’ll be fine.

Which is a whole lot better than festering with anger over largely imaginary issues and hoping that Liam Fox and his cronies will transform your life.

no but you should know if your action "could" make you richer, the same, or worse off, and people with common sense dont normally do actions which they know "could" make them financially worse off. BUT we know hardcore brexiters dont care, its just one massive obsession "project fear" perpetrated by the likes of farage for decades, that the EU is the bane of our lives and we must get out at all costs.

He'll be ok tho

Do you support Universal suffrage?

I voted Leave because the EU is an exponent of austerity, privatisation and neoliberalism.

Do you support EU imposed austerity, privatisation and neoliberalism?

It’s the worst I can wish you...

...but with around 300 days to go, all the indications are still that you’re getting a hard Brexit with no deal.

Yesterday’s evidence session before the Treasury Select Committee is all the evidence (-top up) you need. The private sector execs are disengaging from the government and the civil service, effectively they’ve given up banging heads against the ideological brick wall, and decided to write the U.K. off.

As your own professional context may validate.

As you know, we’re all clear now. Repatriating the balance of our GBP liquid assets today, as it happens (expecting GBP to take a slap next week at EU summit time; more so come October time in...4 months: tic-toc-tic-toc-tic-toc). That only leaves our U.K. private pensions to ‘sort’, and I’ve got a Frankfurt-based IFA busy onto that right now. Ironically enough, he’s a Brit :lol:

Pragmatically, when all that is done, then the last bit of contingency planning will be how to get (go fetch-) the M-i-L from the U.K. over to us in 2019, if things turn as bad at street level and transport-wise, as some Whitehall types are leaking.

If nothing comes to pass, bonus points. If it does, we’re long and well clear of the mess, and those who created it can assume their collective and individual responsibilities, and clean it themselves

My in-laws are abroad. One of them a Brit - been there since ‘74 and until now never even considered needing to sort out official residence beyond the local basics required an an EEC/EC/EU citizen. This whole thing has spooked them because they are elderly and recieve a lot of medical care. All sorted now though.

I voted Leave because the EU is an exponent of austerity, privatisation and neoliberalism.

You're getting the EU and the tories mixed up again.

Your whole argument stands or falls on whether we will have a stronger economy.

I think you (Brexiters) already lost. That just needs to work it’s way through into the economic and then inevitable political reality.

i work on the old Orgreave site, it's been regenerated with *some* degree of success, by an ocean current of EU regeneration money, that's been pouring in for over a decade.

you equate the EU with Austerity, not from where i'm looking!