The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

Same reasons Top cat’s vet is moving to Germany: certainty of legal and commercial circumstance, and more resilient RoI timescale.

I heard the Sheffield firm that I left in February is down professional staff and clients already (had a few U.K. and overseas ones knocking on my door here since). Entirely as forecast in earlier contributions. Too bad.

It's rapidly looking like thats going to be the case. We've just realised that my GF grandmother due to a mistake in paperwork remained Italian for longer than we thought - so it looks like we are going to be claiming her Italian heritage and that gives us a nice route out into Europe. Of course we don't actually need to settle in Italy either although it's looking rather tempting. Ironic that she chose the UK as a refuge from Mussolini and now the reverse seems to be coming true....

We were warned in the most serious terms that voting to Leave the EU would cause an economic shock in which 500,000 - 820,000 jobs would be lost. Purely on a vote to Leave. Since June 2016 over 500,000 jobs have actually been created.

There has not been a recession as we were informed a vote to Leave would cause. Government finances are at their healthiest since the financial crisis.

we havent left yet, nor has anything been ratified

We were warned in the most serious terms that voting to Leave the EU would cause an economic shock in which 500,000 - 820,000 jobs would be lost. Purely on a vote to Leave.

There has not been a recession as we were informed a vote to Leave would cause.

By who???kkkkkkkkkkkkkk

It's rapidly looking like thats going to be the case. (...) Ironic that she chose the UK as a refuge from Mussolini and now the reverse seems to be coming true....
For any EU person in the U.K. and bracketed by Brexit, the speed of change is always going to be a function of three factors: what is at stake for them, their attitude to risk, and personal awareness.

Instances like e.g. all the EU nationals who have tried to mitigate the potential problems with seeking a relevant authorisation, but were eventually told to pack their bags and GTFO stat instead (and there have been thousands by now), simply influence one or more of these factors.

For my part, I forecast back in autumn 2016, that what has effectively happened to Top Cats’ German vet recently (stable professional situation profiting the local society and economy up-ended by handling of referendum and it’s influence on real world economic metrics) would happen to me by March 2019 latest: diminished legal capacity to reside, means de facto more power to my employer (and similar-level stakeholders such as Home Office, HMRC, etc), more precarious and conditional access to public (NHS) and private (finance, insurance, etc) services, and more. It would even diminish my professional capacity, through loss of recognition of qualifications, effectively retrograding me on paper.

So it really did not take much more faffing about by May, Davis and Bojo shortly after March 2017, to convince me to GTFO stat. Which we therefore started last October, and completed this February.

Now we’re out, and laughing. So will that German vet. Judging by Grauniad reports, local exec headhunters and continental news, the U.K. brain drain is only going one way. To the point wherein, over here, they’re starting to fear a knock-on effect (from Brexit fin sector refugees) on real estate prices. First world problems, and nicer ones to have, I suppose ;)

Edited by L00b

Where did you end up if you dont mind me asking? I'm guessing Luxembourg way...? I must say Im torn between either north Italy or South Germany at the moment...
Lux, it’s open knowledge on here. Personally I wouldn’t consider northern Italy. Even if it hadn’t been so widely publicised lately in the context of the recent GE there, northern Italy is the bastion of their hard right movement and, unsurprisingly, isn’t particularly fond of immigrants, legal and not.

Sales job: big Italian (and Portuguese) communities here in Lux, particularly in the south of the country (pits & steelworks heritage). Oh, and German is an official language (along with Lux & French)...and 48% of its 600k residents are foreign-born.

I met the U.K. ambassador and had a chat with him t’other week at a business event (std networking-with-a-theme affair, nothing official/special), seeing him again next week at an inauguration event at my kid’s school. Must have seen Bettel (PM) and Schneider (deputy PM) at least half a dozen times at various business events in past 3 months. It’s that kind of place ;)

Edited by L00b

Lux, it’s open knowledge on here. Personally I wouldn’t consider northern Italy. Even if it hadn’t been so widely publicised lately in the context of the recent GE there, northern Italy is the bastion of their hard right movement and, unsurprisingly, isn’t particularly fond of immigrants, legal and not.

Sales job: big Italian (and Portuguese) communities here in Lux, particularly in the south of the country (pits & steelworks heritage). Oh, and German is an official language (along with Lux & French)...and 48% of its 600k residents are foreign-born.

I met the U.K. ambassador and had a chat with him t’other week at a business event (std networking-with-a-theme affair, nothing official/special), seeing him again next week at an inauguration event at my kid’s school. Must have seen Bettel (PM) and Schneider (deputy PM) at least half a dozen times at various business events in past 3 months. It’s that kind of place ;)

Mmm, worth thinking about then. Italy looks nice... but Germany will probably win because I can just about speak bad German and no Italian at all... Not really considered Lbourg to be fair it's always been a thing that happens on the route from Basel to Calais for me I'm afraid to say....

We were warned in the most serious terms that voting to Leave the EU would cause an economic shock in which 500,000 - 820,000 jobs would be lost. Purely on a vote to Leave. Since June 2016 over 500,000 jobs have actually been created.

There has not been a recession as we were informed a vote to Leave would cause. Government finances are at their healthiest since the financial crisis.

It sounds as though you have totally swallowed the Tory line.

Apart from that of Sir Philip Lee who has resigned as a junior minister in protest against the envisaged outcome of Brexit.The cracks continue to propagate as May seeks to be all things to all people.