The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

the EU is our biggest trading partner, and very likely will be for many decades to come.

Er, no. Here's why:

1. "We" do not trade. Traders trade.

2. International trade is with persons in other countries. The EU is not (yet) a country.

3. Exports from UK persons to almost everywhere eastwards go via Rotterdam or other container ports. They are booked-in as UK exports to EU persons; but most are no such thing, as they're transferred out again to their real destination. The EU always does this, in a sad effort to maximise the trading volume. In English, this practice is known by a technical term: "lying".

Er, no. Here's why:

2. International trade is with persons in other countries. The EU is not (yet) a country.

3. Exports from UK persons to almost everywhere eastwards go via Rotterdam or other container ports. They are booked-in as UK exports to EU persons; but most are no such thing, as they're transferred out again to their real destination. The EU always does this, in a sad effort to maximise the trading volume. In English, this practice is known by a technical term: "lying".

Of course we trade as a nation.

They are numerous economic measures of our collective activity.

And you know what, those measures matter. They matter a lot.

I’m filing this latest attempt from you with the radish nonsense from the other week.

Er, no. Here's why:

You contradict yourself - first you say we do not trade and then you discuss exports from UK persons - c/mon, get your facts right... Oh I forgot, you're a leaver and therefore don't have to.

Exports from UK persons to almost everywhere eastwards go via Rotterdam or other container ports. They are booked-in as UK exports to EU persons; but most are no such thing' date=' as they're transferred out again to their real destination. The EU always does this, in a sad effort to maximise the trading volume. In English, this practice is known by a technical term: "lying".[/quote']

Meanwhile you mention that without quantifying it in a sad effort to give the impression it's of more than marginal significance.

Q: Reality Check: Do 44% of UK exports go to the EU?

A: No, it's about 42%.

Sir Andrew replied saying that while it is hard to quantify the level of the Rotterdam Effect, it was unlikely to involve more than 50% of goods exported to the Netherlands which would not knock more than two percentage points off the government's figure of 44% of UK exports going to the EU. That "suggests that the statement in the government leaflet is not significantly affected by it".

Remind us all how much trade with our Empire 2.0 former colonies going to go up by according to brexiters again?

Based on what, other than wishful thinking?

Hopefully this mess will be sorted out, growth is lower at the moment; a pessimist might say it will take us 5 years to recover an optimist might say 12 months, what it will be in reality I have no idea.

Hopefully this mess will be sorted out, growth is lower at the moment; a pessimist might say it will take us 5 years to recover an optimist might say 12 months, what it will be in reality I have no idea.
The prognosis I'm hearing over here is 10 to 15 years. And then you're back asking in under Article 49.

Yesterday, the EU quietly amended its legislation about car type approvals, effectively allowing 'UK' car makers (Nissan, Honda, Skoda, BMW...) to transfer their UK (EU) type approval certs over to other EU27 type approval-issuing countries. 'Not seen much coverage of that in UK news, unsurprisingly. I guess Rolls Royce canning 4k middle class-type jobs was bigger news, or better smoke/mirror.

I think Tata said 'thanks!' about the cert for their soon-to-be-made-in-Slovakia Discovery ;)

Edited by L00b

The prognosis I'm hearing over here is 10 to 15 years. And then you're back asking in under Article 49.

Yesterday, the EU quietly amended its legislation about car type approvals, effectively allowing 'UK' car makers (Nissan, Honda, Skoda, BMW...) to transfer their UK (EU) type approval certs over to other EU27 type approval-issuing countries. 'Not seen much coverage of that in UK news, unsurprisingly. I guess Rolls Royce canning 4k middle class-type jobs was bigger news, or better smoke/mirror.

I think Tata said 'thanks!' about the cert for their soon-to-be-made-in-Slovakia Discovery ;)

Rolls-Royce isn't just getting rid of 4600 jobs, but also considering moving the engine approvals base to Germany.

But all this isn't as bad as it seems as Parliament has already decided on Tuesday that we are going to stay in the customs union.

Rolls-Royce isn't just getting rid of 4600 jobs, but also considering moving the engine approvals base to Germany.

But all this isn't as bad as it seems as Parliament has already decided on Tuesday that we are going to stay in the customs union.

Cue the front page rants from the Mail and Express