Bob Dylan in Sheffield

tsavo

Have just listened to 2/3 of the Sheffield Gaumont1966 recording on YouTube. I hear it's very well reviewed but am underwhelmed, and the harmonica playing is just awful, pi**taking in places (as ever). Am hoping for good things for the last 35 minutes with the backing band tho.

https://youtu.be/kbiNAEJopKE?si=eTyLMoQ4A59W6KQp

T'other week I listened to some live c1974 stuff and his voice and timing was just superb, with Scarlett Riviera on violin.

2 hours ago, Palomar said:

Have just listened to 2/3 of the Sheffield Gaumont1966 recording on YouTube. I hear it's very well reviewed but am underwhelmed, and the harmonica playing is just awful, pi**taking in places (as ever). Am hoping for good things for the last 35 minutes with the backing band tho.

https://youtu.be/kbiNAEJopKE?si=eTyLMoQ4A59W6KQp

T'other week I listened to some live c1974 stuff and his voice and timing was just superb, with Scarlett Riviera on violin.

Have you listened to "Before the Flood" recorded live in 74 with The Band? Pretty sure that the Scarlett Riviera was 1975/76 as part of the Rolling Thunder Review.

His playing onThe Concert for Bangladesh, put together by George Harrison at Madison Square Garden in 1971, was pretty good as well.

14 hours ago, Cody's Granddad said:

I saw Bob Dylan in Nottingham last year he was pretty good.

He never did any of his hits from the past just some new stuff but still sounded great.

The problem was he was sat behind a piano all night and never merged from it so just basically saw his head and nothing else.

He also never acknowledged the audience at any time which I thought was strange but I suppose that is Dylan

I was really keen to see Dylan perform live in what must have been his most recent performance at a Sheffield Arena,

Undoubtedly the most disappointing concert that I have ever been to.

Unrecognisable renditions of some songs and for me totally self indulgent  with no connection with the audience.

I will stick with the recorded music that I still like.

If that was the worst then Leonard Cohen was well up with the best .

• Like 1

On 12/03/2024 at 20:00, echo beach said:

Not sure whether you’d categorise him as a crooner but he had a good voice, particularly in his younger years and could certainly entertain folks.

I was referring to his song ‘It was a very good year’ which was released on an LP in ‘65 and won him a Grammy Award. I think it was one of his better performances.

I also liked Dylan who was a breath of fresh air when he broke onto the scene in the ‘60s.

His early songs are classics. Others I enjoyed were Joan Baez, Joni Mitchell and Donovan.

Used to frequent the Sheffield folk clubs in those days. Tony Capstick was a favourite as a singer/musician and a comedian.

Missed seeing Dylan live but I did see Chuck Berry and the Moody Blues at the Gaumont on 11th January 1965.

echo.

On 12/03/2024 at 20:00, echo beach said:

Not sure whether you’d categorise him as a crooner but he had a good voice, particularly in his younger years and could certainly entertain folks.

I was referring to his song ‘It was a very good year’ which was released on an LP in ‘65 and won him a Grammy Award. I think it was one of his better performances.

I also liked Dylan who was a breath of fresh air when he broke onto the scene in the ‘60s.

His early songs are classics. Others I enjoyed were Joan Baez, Joni Mitchell and Donovan.

Used to frequent the Sheffield folk clubs in those days. Tony Capstick was a favourite as a singer/musician and a comedian.

Missed seeing Dylan live but I did see Chuck Berry and the Moody Blues at the Gaumont on 11th January 1965.

echo.

I was at that i965 great show, wasn't Joe Brown in it and perhaps the Everly Brothers or am I wrong about the U.S, duo? The Moody's had just scored their first big hit then 'Go Now' with Denny Laine on lead vocals.

On 13/03/2024 at 00:00, echo beach said:

echo.

Capstick was resident at the Highcliffe Folk Club for a long time and was a brilliant act . He had to tame his act down for his show on Radio Sheffield which was such a shame.

Live and fueled by beer and whisky chasers he was hilarious.

10 hours ago, St Petre said:

I was at that i965 great show, wasn't Joe Brown in it and perhaps the Everly Brothers or am I wrong about the U.S, duo? The Moody's had just scored their first big hit then 'Go Now' with Denny Laine on lead vocals.

Not sure about Joe Brown and the Everly Brothers. It’s a long time ago now.

I do, however, remember I was there with a girl from work called Julie!😃

echo.

18 minutes ago, echo beach said:

Not sure about Joe Brown and the Everly Brothers. It’s a long time ago now.

I do, however, remember I was there with a girl from work called Julie!😃

echo.

A bit of research St Petre revealed that the supporting acts were:-

The Five Dimensions.

Winston G

The Graham Bond Organisation

and Long John Baldry.

out of those I only recall Long John Baldry who I also saw later at Sheffield Uni’s students’ Union.

echo.

9 hours ago, Dreb48 said:

Capstick was resident at the Highcliffe Folk Club for a long time and was a brilliant act . He had to tame his act down for his show on Radio Sheffield which was such a shame.

Live and fueled by beer and whisky chasers he was hilarious.

Yes I also saw him at the Highcliffe Folk Club. He was a good singer, a comedian and a brilliant all round entertainer.

eco.

3 hours ago, echo beach said:

A bit of research St Petre revealed that the supporting acts were:-

The Five Dimensions.

Winston G

The Graham Bond Organisation

and Long John Baldry.

out of those I only recall Long John Baldry who I also saw later at Sheffield Uni’s students’ Union.

echo.

Jimmy Powell and the Five Dimensions were an excellent blues/ soul band that I saw several times at the Esquire.

Disappointingly they never really made it BIG 

58 minutes ago, Dreb48 said:

Jimmy Powell and the Five Dimensions were an excellent blues/ soul band that I saw several times at the Esquire.

Disappointingly they never really made it BIG 

Like you Dreb48 I used to frequent he Esquire quite a lot in the early ‘60s but only remember seeing Dave Berry, Joe Cocker and Muddy Waters there.

Did you happen to be in the place that night when the police raided it looking for drugs?

echo.