A tourist to Sheffield

scottcross

Am not really, was born and bred here but just wondering what I would do if I was, my friends and I often visit other cities and stay over and always find plenty to do i.e historical sites, museums, drinking and eating etc what would we do in Sheffield? Just had an excellent 2 days in Nottingham what would we offer people like ourselves who want a bit of culture by day and a lively night? Please give me something as we're doing a stay at home tourist thing at the end of next month, (not Meadowhall, Bishops House, Abbeydale Hamlet etc).

I guess the most obvious would be the millenium galleries and winter gardens, maybe see a play at the Lyceum theatre in the evening.

Much of Sheffield's history is industrial so Kelham Island Industrial museum is a must.

If you fancy a walk then do one of these:

Canal Towpath Victoria Quay to Meadowhall offers a different view of the east end which gradually transforms from tumbledown works throught to modern leisure facilities, all in a calm waterside environment with people fishing. (Alternatively try the A39 restaurant boat trip down the canal if you fancy something a bit different).

Upper Don valley - a circular walk from Ladys bridge down through Kelham Island, Neepsend, towards Hillsborough, losts of pubs to stop at and a bit of history, including closed breweries.

Sheffield round walk- shows the cities green and pleasant side.

Or a bit further out into the peak district there are masses of choice but one easy one I reccommend on a Sunday is get the train to Bamford, then connecting bus to Fairholmes, for a walk round the reserviors. On sundays you can get a bus back to Fairholmes and Bamford from Kings Tree. (details http://www.derbysbus.net)

Obviously at night you have fantastic nightlife with lively towny bars of both the party and trendy variety, as well as some great traditional pubs with a friendly, relaxed atmosphere and good ale.

Or a bit different, at the end of next month (30th April to 2nd May) there is the Philadelhia Blues walkabout, with a whole host of pubs taking part, each pub has a different blues band on, and also a selection of real ales, some brewed specially, meaning you can do a pub crawl and try a different beer and different band in each. Details http://www.philadelphiablues.org.uk.

That is just one example of many events that go on, try checking out the listings in the Sheffield Telegraph.

Archived