Uber Vs normal Taxi co,s experience which is better/cheaper?

after many years of using normal taxi firms and putting up with dirty clapped out cars and drivers that dont know their way around i decided to try the new Uber app whilst on holiday in the south of France as we didnt have a local taxi number to hand and our villa was up in the hills. wow what a difference smart drivers very smart cars clean and air cond, on time and actually a pleasure to drive in, we thought at first they were a bit more expensive but that was until last week when we returned home and decided to use them in sheffield, again clean cars, smarter drivers ok not in suits but smarter, had a decent conversation and the best bit ii was quite a bit cheaper than normal cabs, no more normal cab Uber all the way from now on. what other experiences have people had??

The price varies, I've had it cost as much as a regular private hire, as much as a black cab even, but also be considerably cheaper. Depends on how busy they are.

The cars are generally new and the drivers are polite and friendly, but I find that most private cab hires are also polite and friendly.

There aren't enough Ubers in my experience. I've actually deleted the app as a result, and just use City. Whenever we needed one, there were none about. I needed to get to the station one morning and all I got was 'no Uber available', so I gave up and called City, who were there in 5 mins.

Tried Uber for the first time yesterday (in the S of France) It was a new and pleasant experience.No wonder the normal taxi drivers get upset. €21 deducted from my card for a journey which , if I use a normal taxi, usually costs between €35 and €50. Apart from Australia I've been ripped off by taxi drivers all over the world. This was a new and salutary experience. Uber for me next time !

Tried Uber for the first time yesterday (in the S of France) It was a new and pleasant experience.No wonder the normal taxi drivers get upset. €21 deducted from my card for a journey which , if I use a normal taxi, usually costs between €35 and €50. Apart from Australia I've been ripped off by taxi drivers all over the world. This was a new and salutary experience. Uber for me next time !

yes we tried them in the South Of France too for the first time,a couple of the drivers did get a little lost as the villa is in the hills but queried it on the app and got an immediate partial refund no questions asked. i like that you can rate the driver too. just signed up to pay on barclaycard so i get my next uber free and every 11th trip is free up to £15.....cant see private hire or city doing that?

Edited by nowt2pctoday