DUP gets £1.5Bn for lending votes.

This deal is very likely to rebound badly against both the Conservatives and the DUP.

It was pointed out in the Times letter page yesterday by His Honour John Samuels QC that paying a £1 Billion pound inducement to one part of the UK out of the rest of the UK's tax revenue falls under the definition of a bribe under the Bribery Act 2010;

Seeking to influence a decision maker by giving that person some extra benefit

In this instance voting MP's being given additional funding for their area whilst other parts of the UK are being informed that austerity is required and there is no magic money tree.

Bearing in mind that Northern Ireland receives more public money and generates less tax revenue than any other part of the UK as it is this arrangement will not be viewed kindly.

Add in the sectarian,bigoted, science denying, terrorist supporting nature of the DUP and the Conservatives are going to come to regret this decision.

For the DUP's part they have just helped to carry a vote which has denied an overdue pay rise to the public sector.

Northern Ireland has more people working in the public sector than any other part of the UK ( so a bit of claw back from the Billion right there ) and so some negative reaction will be felt.

Add in the funding of abortions to the mix and you have to say that considering it's only been a few days the partnership is going swimmingly.

Wish I'd bought shares in that popcorn manufacturer now!

This deal is very likely to rebound badly against both the Conservatives and the DUP.

It was pointed out in the Times letter page yesterday by His Honour John Samuels QC that paying a £1 Billion pound inducement to one part of the UK out of the rest of the UK's tax revenue falls under the definition of a bribe under the Bribery Act 2010;

In this instance voting MP's being given additional funding for their area whilst other parts of the UK are being informed that austerity is required and there is no magic money tree.

Bearing in mind that Northern Ireland receives more public money and generates less tax revenue than any other part of the UK as it is this arrangement will not be viewed kindly.

Add in the sectarian,bigoted, science denying, terrorist supporting nature of the DUP and the Conservatives are going to come to regret this decision.

For the DUP's part they have just helped to carry a vote which has denied an overdue pay rise to the public sector.

Northern Ireland has more people working in the public sector than any other part of the UK ( so a bit of claw back from the Billion right there ) and so some negative reaction will be felt.

Add in the funding of abortions to the mix and you have to say that considering it's only been a few days the partnership is going swimmingly.

The fact that DUP candidates only contest seats in Northern Ireland means they are hardly likely to lose support at the next generation for negotiating an extra £1 billion for investment in their own region. The people who voted Conservative this time are not likely to switch to Labour over the DUP deal, which keeps the party they voted for in power. At the next General Election the Conservatives will have a new leader, who won't make the same mistakes, which Mrs May did in her campaign. The current DUP deal is buying the Conservatives time until the next election, when they will have a different strategy.

I fear the real losers out of the general result are the honest people who voted to leave the EU, because sadly I fear a situation will be engineered in which the UK are effectively still part of the EU or will still end up being dictated to by the EU.

I fear the real losers out of the general result are the honest people who voted to leave the EU, because sadly I fear a situation will be engineered in which the UK are effectively still part of the EU or will still end up being dictated to by the EU.

In which case Brexiteers will have no one to blame but themselves.

Had they thought it through they would have realised that in this day and age the majority of developed countries are members of Trade Blocs of one form or another.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjJ58bisOPUAhVsAsAKHVixAf8QFggtMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.bbc.co.uk%2F2%2Fhi%2Fbusiness%2F4510792.stm&usg=AFQjCNEEt1hJzqVp1mPOsciO1hBuKohDqQ

Countries that aren't actual members have trading agreements with Trade Blocs which involves them paying fees and agreeing to terms and conditions in order to gain access to the relevant market.

We chose to leave the most successful Trade Bloc in the world.

Not quite sure what Brexiteers wanted to happen next ( not sure they know ) but operating free as a breeze with no agreements and no contractual obligations to any other country was never an option.

There's every chance that we'll wind up economically poorer, still having to abide by negotiated terms and conditions and without any serious input to changes and no veto.

That possible outcome should have been apparent to anyone giving any serious consideration to which way to vote.

Guest sibon

We've seen today, the limited effectiveness of the DUP votes. Stella Creasy's abortion amendment never even got to a vote, because the Government was going to lose so badly. So yet again, May's Government is at the mercy of external forces.

There will be lots of this sort of stuff in the coming months. Ten DUP votes isn't going to stick this basket case of a Government together for very long. They have too many factions and there are too many people vying for the leadership once May has outlived her usefulness.

Puggie has his popcorn out already. I'm just off to buy some.

I wonder whether someone could take out a private prosecution of the PM? If the deal with the DUP contravenes provisions in the Bribery Act, as the QC indicates - then surely this is an option?

I wonder whether someone could take out a private prosecution of the PM? If the deal with the DUP contravenes provisions in the Bribery Act, as the QC indicates - then surely this is an option?

To be honest whilst I think he's correct under the law I think he was just making the point that there's one law for them and another one for the rest of us.

The problem being that they could no doubt bring up loads of instances where various parties did something similar on previous occasions.

Doesn't make it right, it's obvious that it was a bribe but that's how politics tends to operate.

It's been going on for years, but there was a time when the old boy network covered it up far better.