The right to own a firearm.

The right to own a firearm  

72 members have voted

1. 1. The right to own a firearm

• Yes I should have the right to own a firearm and prepared to use it
    • Limited right to own a firearm under limited guide lines
    • No person unless under licence should own a firearm
    • Not sure would need to look into it

I have just relinquished my firearms and shotgun certificates after 5 years.

I have not been using them this year following a knee injury ( not firearm related :)).

The reason being is the application form. The hoops you need to jump through in order to obtain and renew a firearms certificate are time consuming and frustrating. I used them for pest control on farms and hunting.

I believe we have it right with regards firearms applications.

Anything designed for killing another human should not be sold to any member of the public.

Hunting rifles and knifes should be given out with strict licencing laws, like they are in the UK, anything else should be kept to the military.

That goes for the US and anywhere else too.

Would you include common household chemicals, poisons, vehicles, hammers, knives, screwdrivers and baseball bats?

A gun is arguably more efficient and has a greater range, but you can kill a lot of people with a car or a van, or even a bat.

Devices don't kill people, people kill people.

Personally I think our licensing laws were fit for purpose before the most recent changes. Knee jerk political reaction killed off the sport of pistol shooting.

Well, don't know about a firearm

But..and don't laugh.. a slingshot and a bag of steel ball bearings wouldn't exactly tickle!

The majority of domestic rooms are less than 20ft, if you think you could hit a door from 20ft, then its highly likely you'd hit someone coming through it.

BTW most ball bearings from slingshots would pass straight said door, just a hint to reinforce the fact a toy they ain't!

Do I own one?, Nah, just an antique billhook in the rear of the bedroom wardrobe.

It's asking the question whether we should!

Some of our friends across the pond think we're bonkers for not arming ourselves. The higher crime rates in places like Chicago have quite tough gun and knife laws. Those with open carry laws, if you're to believe the hype, have far lower crime rates.

Some of our friends across the pond think we're bonkers for not arming ourselves. The higher crime rates in places like Chicago have quite tough gun and knife laws. Those with open carry laws, if you're to believe the hype, have far lower crime rates.

They can think what they like, I'm quite happy that we opted out of that particular trend. I don't think Americans could cope without them now, it's so entrenched that life without would be scary, though I gather there's an even split for tighter restrictions, there is also (according to one survey) a difference of opinion between Democrats and Republicans on ownership and use.

I can believe those stats, but the argument is a bit disingenuous. Vermont is often quoted as being an example of low crime, high concealed carry rates. But Vermont doesn't have a large city like Chicago in it.

Where you have high rates of real poverty and easy access to firearms I think you will get violent crime. Chicago may have tough gun laws but other states do not and guns bought elsewhere can end up in Chicago quite easily.

It's asking the question whether we should!

Not in his opening statement. He states he owns a gun but in the second paragraph he asks if we should be allowed to defend ourself in our own home, which by the way, we are.

The poll asks if we should have the right to own a gun but that would mean a change in the law to change it from a privilege to a right.

And who is going to agree to that stupid idea?

Not in his opening statement. He states he owns a gun but in the second paragraph he asks if we should be allowed to defend ourself in our own home, which by the way, we are.

The poll asks if we should have the right to own a gun but that would mean a change in the law to change it from a privilege to a right.

And who is going to agree to that stupid idea?

Hopefully never enough to make the difference but there are always pockets reserved for silly folk :D