Is this an OK gaming PC?

Love2print

Never considered the parts in the PC in regards to replacing them. I have in the past always managed to find compatible parts, I have never bought a part from a manufacturer directly. Would it not be possible to find compatible parts?

In a lot of cases with HP...No. They use bespoke plugs on the motherboard and Power supply so a standard one won't fit. You can rewire them but the other problem can be the none standard size of parts.

You're on about spending a lot of money and I should hate to see anyone come a cropper later on. Stay clear of pre built on Ebay too. Most of those are just a joke. Most have a great CPU but every other part is just cheap nasty rubbish.

Check out overclockers or scan, you can spec stuff up. IMO you don't need to spend that sort of cash unless you are obsessed with running everything on max and getting detail you are unlikely to see. And as others have said, don't buy a branded pc for gaming, you don't need to build it yourself with overclockers etc and at least you won't have upgrade issues later on.

Edited by neeeeeeeeeek

The PSU on that HP is very under powered @ 300W especially as the GTX 1060 (3 GB GDDR5) recommended supply is 400W. It also states that the ram is GDR5 when it is in fact DDR4.

To be honest I wouldn't buy it also for reasons zach has stated as they don't use standard parts. Pity you cant build one or get someone to do it for you as that would be much better value for money.

Will it run games? Yes (Not all on high settings)

Is it value for money? No, not really.

I don't have a problem with HP but you need to look at what could happen after the warranty is out. Most of the parts are bespoke and cost a fortune to buy from HP.

Scan do some decent ready built PC's for that kind of money and use off the shelf parts. I build my own so can't comment on their service but they seems to get good reviews.

Which parts are bespoke exactly?

I had a look at scan, but they can't match the spec for that price.

Which parts are bespoke exactly?

I had a look at scan, but they can't match the spec for that price.

Motherboard size

Motherboard power sockets

Motherboard Fan Headers (Same size different pinout)

PSU size

PSU Plugs (made to cater for their motherboards)

I've come across all of the above with HP over the years. The odd few have been fairly standard.

Motherboard size

Motherboard power sockets

Motherboard Fan Headers (Same size different pinout)

PSU size

PSU Plugs (made to cater for their motherboards)

I've come across all of the above with HP over the years. The odd few have been fairly standard.

So, this is same story like Siemens Nixdorrf machines back in the day. No other MBO or PSU can fit. If that's so, it's best to avoid. There are plenty of other offers.

I was going to PM you Ghozer but Zach has also PM'd me so I thought I would post here instead.

I won't be buying the PC yet as I am waiting on a Student Loan. But I have been looking around now to get an idea of specs and prices.

I've not kept up to date with the latest tech and the last time I built a PC was probably 10 years ago.

As Apple Mac are the industry standard in Graphic Design I did look at them first.

I considered a 21.5 inch iMac

- Retina 4K display

- 3.6GHz quad-core 7th-generation Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.2GHz

- 16GB 2400MHz DDR4

- 1TB Fusion Drive

- Radeon Pro555 with 2GB video memory

But with a £1,789.00 I didn't think it was worth it.

Get more for less when buying a PC.

I can get a student license for the Adobe Suite.

http://www.adobe.com/uk/creativecloud/buy/students.html?promoid=PQ7SQCMS&mv=other

I have never used After Effects or Premiere Pro but I might whilst on the course.

I will need to flick between apps, for example at the moment I have Thunderbird, OpenOffice, Chrome, Outlook, Photoshop and InDesign open. I would probably have Illustrator open too at the same time.

I don't have an exact budget really (student loan) other than I don't want to pay more than I need to which is why I ruled out a Mac.

Although I ruled out a Mac I've just spied this on Sheffield Forum for sale (its also on eBay too, hence the link): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/APPLE-MAC-PRO-3-1-2008-Model-dual-CPU-8-core-12gb-RAM-/122568704494?hash=item1c89aa01ee:g:x3QAAOSwXXxZU2MD

It comes with CS6 installed so I wouldn't need to pay for the Adobe Suite but on the downside there are no install disks. It is also from 2008 so not sure how long it would have left.

The PC needs to last me a year that's all. That's why I thought about using it for gaming as well as it seemed a shame to buy a decent spec PC when after a year it will be back to general internet browsing.

Hope I haven't missed anything, I'm trying to FB message my husband about the Mac and were comparing specs. Unfortunately although he works in IT, he doesn't keep up to date with the latest consumer tech or Macs at all.

Apple, Shame on you!... only joking

Just to clarify. I don't build for people at the moment but don't mind helping with parts picking.

Haha, don't blame me blame the Graphic Design industry - I have never owned a Mac and I don't think I'd be upset if I never did. I think Apple had dropped the ball over recent years, they did used to offer something a little different now it just seems like the offer the same as everyone else but at a higher price.

Yeah that's fine Zach I wasn't wanting one built for me anyway.