Mileage issue used car

I,ve just picked up my new but used vehicle today from a main dealer who at the moment shall remain nameless. The docs say 14500 miles and was clearly advertised as such but having picked up today the mileage was 22500 miles, now I did test drive it but was more concerned with the ride quality than looking at the odometer, granted I should have paid more attention.

I'm in a quandry as to how to approach this with the very friendly and approachable staff, I genuinely think this is an honest mistake but would impact my resale of this vehicle as effectively this is 1yrs mileage more on average.

Has anybody else experienced this and has anyone any suggestions p.s the value is 15k so not to be sniffed at but i did get what I thought and still think considering the above a good deal. :roll:

I would do as Jim Hardie has suggested,having said that how old is the car at 22500 miles it should be 2yrs old?.Also is it a diesel and what make and model is it?,if its a top range motor BMW or Mercedes you may have a bargain anyway!.I know how you feel I was nearly ripped off good style in the 70s with a VW beetle by a reputable main dealer,I was shown the door but I didn,t let it lay,I contacted VW Germany by letter and they made the dealer exchange the car for a new model!.Don,t be fobbed off,good luck!.

In all fairness it's probably a better deal for you, diesel engines with low mileage have usually done lots of short/city driving which causes all sorts of problems.

Your has probably done loads of motorway miles, I'd bet the engine is in great condition.

However higher miles still effects the value so see what you can negotiate.

If it's only two years old it will have been serviced can you not tell from the service history,

when mine is serviced each year they put down the millage at each service, it could just be a type o mistake as it's partially impossible to change the millage in modern day cars.