Pubs chain bans swearing

Sam Smiths and Wetherspoons are the cheapest prices in the pub trade. There is a connection.

Wetherspoons fight the good fight most of the time and continuously try to reduce the effin' and jeffin'. I am a big fan of the chain but find it annoying that the smokers and swearers gather near the entrance and near the bar so its difficult to avoid them. Usually their premises are so big that sanctuary can be found in distant corners, but it shouldn't be like that.

I suspect that Smiths are challenged by their regulars and the PLO of the premises in question was forced into his decision. Some regulars of every pub think they control it just because they put their money over the bar.

I remember when the Lady's Bridge reopened after a refurb with a new 'No Swearing' policy. It caused a problem for a while but management won through in the end.

Sam Smiths pubs are often mainly catering for elderly drinkers anyhow in my experience. More like a care home with an alcohol license.

It would probably suit them to have no swearing or anyone under 70 allowed in.

Well I am an elderly drinker and I wouldn't sup that stuff if they paid me to.

Bit off topic,, but your post reminded me of a baseball game I attended a few years ago . A birthday greeting came up on the giant screen, it said 'Happy 77th Birthday to Steven... Love Mom and Dad'. Well I just cracked out laughing and all around me thought I was nuts.:D I then told my daughter, what I had just seen and word passed around and everyone started laughing. I often wondered if the parents were actually in attendance LOL :huh:

---------- Post added 01-07-2017 at 14:16 ----------

i believe the clash played there for their first show outside of london? supporting the pistols

Lots of big name bands played the Swan. I remember the original Fleetwood Mac playing there with Peter Green and Jeremy Spenser. The latter did a very good Elvis impression as a little sideshow. This was after they had a number one hit with the instrumental Albatross.Terry Steeples had booked them months earlier, so they were obliged to fulfill their commitment. Terry had a knack for booking bands on the verge of fame, a great impresario. He died quite recently RIP.

I still think the biggest turn there was mighty Melvin the male go to dancer. Great laugh. :)

hahahaha sounds fun Oo

---------- Post added 01-07-2017 at 19:43 ----------

Well I am an elderly drinker and I wouldn't sup that stuff if they paid me to.

Bit off topic,, but your post reminded me of a baseball game I attended a few years ago . A birthday greeting came up on the giant screen, it said 'Happy 77th Birthday to Steven... Love Mom and Dad'. Well I just cracked out laughing and all around me thought I was nuts.:D I then told my daughter, what I had just seen and word passed around and everyone started laughing. I often wondered if the parents were actually in attendance LOL :huh:

---------- Post added 01-07-2017 at 14:16 ----------

Lots of big name bands played the Swan. I remember the original Fleetwood Mac playing there with Peter Green and Jeremy Spenser. The latter did a very good Elvis impression as a little sideshow. This was after they had a number one hit with the instrumental Albatross.Terry Steeples had booked them months earlier, so they were obliged to fulfill their commitment. Terry had a knack for booking bands on the verge of fame, a great impresario. He died quite recently RIP.

yeah love Peter Greens Fleetwood mac, Albatross came out the year i was born, mi dad (r.i.p) loved oh well too

All these tales of sam smiths beer being awful belong in the distant past, today sam smiths make a good range of beers,stouts and lagers of all strengths,sold on drought and in bottles.In my local, taddy lager is only £2.30 a pint and beer is less than two quid a pint.According to the manager the pub has constantly made a profit since he took over seventeen years ago despite having no tv,juke box or background music,the pub relies on selling good beer to survive no other pub in the village has remained open under the same management longer,they must be doing something right.

yeah love Peter Greens Fleetwood mac, Albatross came out the year i was born, mi dad (r.i.p) loved oh well too

I saw Fleetwood Mac perform Albatross a week before it was released in a very small venue in Manchester. Tyrannosaurus Rex and Duster Bennett were on the same bill. 7/6d I think it was. :)

All these tales of sam smiths beer being awful belong in the distant past, today sam smiths make a good range of beers,stouts and lagers of all strengths,sold on drought and in bottles.In my local, taddy lager is only £2.30 a pint and beer is less than two quid a pint.According to the manager the pub has constantly made a profit since he took over seventeen years ago despite having no tv,juke box or background music,the pub relies on selling good beer to survive no other pub in the village has remained open under the same management longer,they must be doing something right.

To be fair all my criticisms of Sam Smiths is from long ago, I left the country in 1981, and don't think I have come across it on my visits back to Sheffield, in more recent times.