Being frugal in Yorkshire

Just been for our tea to grandads, 3 cups in a row waiting for the kettle to boil.

1 cup has a tea bag, that has been used before.

Do most older people end up being tight, unable to spend their money, even tho they are well off, with quite a few grand in the bank?

My dad was the same, couldnt bare to spend his money, that is how it looked to me.

I like to be frugal, but I hope I can spent it, when I get some.

I think they take a certain pride in being frugal. But in my experience they can also be extremely generous when it matters

that's me anna. tight as a ducks bum. count every copper, check all the prices in the supermarkets, its just a hobby of mine.. but when it comes to my daughters and grandkids I splash out.

Just been for our tea to grandads, 3 cups in a row waiting for the kettle to boil.

Do most older people end up being tight, unable to spend their money, even tho they are well off, with quite a few grand in the bank?

My dad was the same, couldnt bare to spend his money, that is how it looked to me.

Some people are just like that.

There's plenty of people still around who refuse to have bank accounts, their main reason when you ask them is they "don't want them getting their hands on my money"

They'll have thousands of pounds in cash sat around at home :loopy::loopy::loopy:

I'm pleased that MOST old folk end up with a few grand in the bank coz we have sod all at present.

I think you will find that most older people have already accumulated possessions and what they want, and don't really need any more. I could spend some and go on holiday as I have not been away or had one since my passport expired in 1984. I prefer to give some money when needed to my son/partner and grandson.

Something I was also told years ago.. You cant save if you spend it!

---------- Post added 30-06-2017 at 14:29 ----------

There's plenty of people still around who refuse to have bank accounts, their main reason when you ask them is they "don't want them getting their hands on my money"

Yo never asked me.. ;) I don't have a bank account but its because I can manage my money myself and don't need others to do it for me and the same goes for many older people. 25 years ago it was still quite common to also be paid in cash and now it by direct transfer as the banks can capitalise and make more money with your money.

Edited by apelike

Yo never asked me.. ;) I don't have a bank account but its because I can manage my money myself and don't need others to do it for me and the same goes for many older people. 25 years ago it was still quite common to also be paid in cash and now it by direct transfer as the banks can capitalise and make more money with your money.

You also need bank accounts, credit history etc to obtain any kind of finance, which for young people in this world is a necessity.

You might have got away with a cash-only culture decades ago, but now it's just not possible.