Being frugal in Yorkshire

Our parents/grandparents really knew hard times and austerity - old habits die hard I guess

They lived through the war years and after. They had food rationing so being frugal was a way of life. Even when they don't have to be careful old habits die hard.

You also need bank accounts, credit history etc to obtain any kind of finance, which for young people in this world is a necessity.

But that just what young people want. They want everything now so are prepared to get themselves into debt to keep up with the rest.

You might have got away with a cash-only culture decades ago, but now it's just not possible.

Of course it is, read my post again. I have no direct debits, have no credit history which does not matter, owe no money and pay bills by cash. Most of the older people are also well aware of how banks work due to the austerity measures now imposed because of their greed and the financial collapse.

Edited by apelike

But that just what young people want. They want everything now so are prepared to get themselves into debt to keep up with the rest.

Of course it is, read my post again. I have no direct debits, have no credit history which does not matter, owe no money and pay bills by cash. Most of the older people are also well aware of how banks work due to the austerity measures now imposed because of their greed and the financial collapse.

I worked in England from 1961 to 1981 and was always paid by cash. I was very wary when I received my first pay "cheque" in Canada. I thought " do I have to wait a week for it to clear" Of course it was OK I just took it with ID and cashed it a nearby bank and opened an account there. The company was the biggest employer in town , so their cheques were like cash.

A friend of mine uses a tea bag twice, only because she likes it very weak. In fact it just looks like 'milky water' yuk!!

Nothing wrong with that! 2-3 cups out of a teabag is standard in our house. Mind you, we don't have milk in it, so it's plenty flavourful.

The way I see it, you wouldn't use half a jar of coffee or half a tube of toothpaste and throw the rest away, so why would you half-use a teabag?

Edited by Olive

Instant gratification. The curse of our times. They seem to have lost the knack of saving up for things and making do until then.

They also care far too much about what their peers have, and what they think. Helped along with social media, Facebook etc, which makes it look like everyone else is having a great time. Trust me, they're not...

We now live in a consumerist world, and kids are encouraged to want, want, want without restraint, and of course the banks are more than happy to fund it. At a price.

My Grandmas used to put bars of soap in the airing cuboard to make them last longer during the war. When one moved to a home we found a huge stash of dish cloths she had amassed!

I know I have a collection of dishcloths somewhere that I have stashed but I cant remember where I have bloody put them!

Edited by illuminati

Not if you want to buy a house, or rent one for that matter (unless you find a landlord who will deal in cash and forgo any credit checks)

You'd have to buy every car in cash, which can limit you as most dealers have a limit on the amount of cash they will accept for money laundering reasons.

Not if you want to buy a house, or rent one for that matter (unless you find a landlord who will deal in cash and forgo any credit checks)

As said the young who buy will already have the necessary bank account, debt and credit references. Most of the older generation dont need to worry.

You'd have to buy every car in cash, which can limit you as most dealers have a limit on the amount of cash they will accept for money laundering reasons.

That limit is 10,000 Euros, cant see many young with that amount of cash.