Being frugal in Yorkshire

They lived through the war years and after. They had food rationing so being frugal was a way of life. Even when they don't have to be careful old habits die hard.

Most of those you are referring to are dead, the war was over in 1945 and rationing ended in 1954.

The men skinflints that the OP reffered to probably have a great deal of scottish and yorkshire ancestry.

Using a teabag more than once gives a cup of gnats p***.

The way I see it, you wouldn't use half a jar of coffee or half a tube of toothpaste and throw the rest away, so why would you half-use a teabag?

The key to this is not to use teabags, use leaf tea in an infuser for one cup or a teapot for two or more. Tastes better too, I'm convinced they put lower quality tea in teabags.

Being a tight fisted Yorkshire woman, I'm fed up to the back with 'Gentrification.' As soon as they spruce a place up the cost doubles. A lot of my favourite hotels and B&Bs have undergone the process so now I can't afford them. Bung down a bit of new carpet and curtains and it's suddenly a bijou 'boutique hotel.'

Even simple caravan sites now have to have all the bells and whistles; kids club, entertainment etc, yet the vans are packed so close together you can hear next doors conversations.

- And don't get me started on 'Glamping...'

Being a tight fisted Yorkshire woman, I'm fed up to the back with 'Gentrification.' As soon as they spruce a place up the cost doubles. A lot of my favourite hotels and B&Bs have undergone the process so now I can't afford them. Bung down a bit of new carpet and curtains and it's suddenly a bijou 'boutique hotel.'

Even simple caravan sites now have to have all the bells and whistles; kids club, entertainment etc, yet the vans are packed so close together you can hear next doors conversations.

- And don't get me started on 'Glamping...'

nice one anna.

---------- Post added 02-07-2017 at 20:51 ----------

fancy going halves with me on a slice of toast.

Most of those you are referring to are dead, the war was over in 1945 and rationing ended in 1954.

The men skinflints that the OP reffered to probably have a great deal of scottish and yorkshire ancestry.

Using a teabag more than once gives a cup of gnats p***.

People get their habits from their parents. So Baby boomers are influenced by one of the most frugal generations ever, whose ways are still very much respected by their children.

---------- Post added 02-07-2017 at 20:56 ----------

nice one anna.

---------- Post added 02-07-2017 at 20:51 ----------

fancy going halves with me on a slice of toast.

Toast! you waste electricity on toast? What's wrong with good old plain bread and water..?

The key to this is not to use teabags, use leaf tea in an infuser for one cup or a teapot for two or more. Tastes better too, I'm convinced they put lower quality tea in teabags.

You're probably right. Would give me the opportunity to take up tea leaf reading as well!

But that just what young people want. They want everything now so are prepared to get themselves into debt to keep up with the rest.

If you want a mobile phone on contract then that's a kind of finance. It's nothing to do with "wanting it now" and not being able to afford it, it's a service provided up front with payment in arrears, hence finance.

I've found pubs doing the same. A quick refurb and a hastily thrown up "gin bar", cut down on the size of the portions of food but package them individually and serve them on slates or blocks of wood or this then double the price.

Just been for our tea to grandads, 3 cups in a row waiting for the kettle to boil.

1 cup has a tea bag, that has been used before.

Do most older people end up being tight, unable to spend their money, even tho they are well off, with quite a few grand in the bank?

My dad was the same, couldnt bare to spend his money, that is how it looked to me.

I like to be frugal, but I hope I can spent it, when I get some.

I don't blame him. I have done the same when I was made redundant and I also then used to dry the teabags out and smoke them in my pipe to save on tobacco.

I feel the opposite.

I'm sick of seeing grubby places full of scruffy gits, who no motivation or aspiration for something better.

People who are willing to accept the bare minimum rather than entertain the idea of change.