Being frugal in Yorkshire

I've found pubs doing the same. A quick refurb and a hastily thrown up "gin bar", cut down on the size of the portions of food but package them individually and serve them on slates or blocks of wood or this then double the price.

If people didn't like it then the place would rapidly lose money and revert back (or go bust).

---------- Post added 03-07-2017 at 16:46 ----------

I feel the opposite.

I'm sick of seeing grubby places full of scruffy gits, who no motivation or aspiration for something better.

People who are willing to accept the bare minimum rather than entertain the idea of change.

Do you like to see the price go up?

I'm fed up to the back with 'Gentrification.' .

A lot of my favourite hotels and B&Bs have undergone the process so now I can't afford them.

I feel the opposite.

Apparently you do, or at least don't mind, you'd prefer that places were gentrified and the price go up than that the price stayed the same...

Yea pretty much, and when you say "Price stayed the same" really what you're talking about is price stagnation.

Prices in certain area's stay stubbornly low while others rise, is that actually fair on those living in the low value properties?

You effectively become stuck where you are, the value of your house does not change in line with others drastically reducing your ability to move without significant capital behind you.

but then it's ok right? because low prices and cheap, cheap, cheap ??

I've never heard the price of something staying the same described as a bad thing using stagnation.

I don't worry every day in Tesco when the sandwich I buy is suffering from price stagnation... I'm quite happy that it costs me no more than yesterday.

We aren't talking about the value of houses compared to somewhere else are we. Hotels and B&B's. The price to use the facilities, not the value of the property.

Presumably the gentrification and price increase is only okay so long as it stays within your budget. The moment you can't afford it anymore (or you think it's poor value) then it's a bad thing.

Edited by Cyclone

Are you confusing gentrification with simple hotel refurbishment?

If a hotel spends tens of thousands on a full refresh it's quite possible they will increase their prices to cover some of their costs.

They might also use the opportunity to upgrade facilities and move their hotel up a grade.

It's their business and they can do what they like.

I don't see the problem??

At the moment we have wage stagnation, so people (nice people, not grubby at all...) are being priced out of things they enjoy. And I'm not talking about things going up by pennies, but sometimes doubling in price.