Are diesels worth buying now?

When they put them in for MOT they have proper Diesel in the tank, rest of the time it's home made from old cooking oil :hihi::hihi::hihi:

That's why you occasionally see them at filling stations.

Cooking oil has much less soot than dino diesel so will easily pass an MOT test.

My old Range Rover barely registered on the smoke test with biodiesel in the tank.:D:D

Cooking oil has much less soot than dino diesel so will easily pass an MOT test.

My old Range Rover barely registered on the smoke test with biodiesel in the tank.:D:D

I recall there being different types of diesel for sale at petrol stations, are some diesels cleaner?

I drive a council diesel vehicle, it would be interesting to find out whether they run on cleaner diesel, especially since city centres could be a no-go area for diesels.

Are you thinking of the city diesel stuff???

It's just normal diesel with most of the sulpher removed which reduces the soot output.

Unfortunatly it reduces the lubricity so other chems are added to componsate.

I have a 3 litre auto jeep that returns 22mpg. I need this to tow my caravan, however this is balanced out by the citreon C4 I have just bought.

It is 1.6 diesel, showing 55mpg at the moment and free road tax! So I would say yes, diesels are worth buying

I have a 3 litre auto jeep that returns 22mpg. I need this to tow my caravan, however this is balanced out by the citreon C4 I have just bought.

It is 1.6 diesel, showing 55mpg at the moment and free road tax! So I would say yes, diesels are worth buying

22mpg?????

OUCH!!!

My Jag XF 3.0l returns 37 around town and 50 + on a motorway...not bad for a quick car!

If they are a 2-stroke, they do have a distinctive smell. I quite like it though.

The few times I did ride mine my clothes, hair and rucksack smelled of 2 stroke oil for ages.

I used to ride enduro and motocross many years ago and I still have fond memories of the smell of Putolene and Castrol R :)

22mpg?????

OUCH!!!

My Jag XF 3.0l returns 37 around town and 50 + on a motorway...not bad for a quick car!

I know, but it pulls the caravan like it is not there and it is such a joy to drive.

It is also in the lower tax bracket for that vehicle and I do like not having to change gear.

• 3 months later...
Are you thinking of the city diesel stuff???

It's just normal diesel with most of the sulpher removed which reduces the soot output.

Unfortunatly it reduces the lubricity so other chems are added to componsate.

In Sweden, since 2003, a "zero" sulfur with very low aromatic content (less than 1% by volume) diesel fuel has been made available on the Swedish market under the name EcoPar. It is used wherever the working environment is highly polluted, an example being where diesel trucks are used in confined spaces such as in harbours, inside storage houses, during construction of road and rail tunnels & in vehicles that are predominantly run in city centers.

I believe this low sulpher diesel is cleaner than what is used in the UK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-low-sulfur_diesel#Europe