Wicker closed by Police 02/07/2017

While passing through the Wicker on the bus, the newsagent on the corner of Stanley street always seems to attract unsavoury characters just hanging around, usually parking irresponsibly.

i've used the cash machine on the side of the newsagents before, although I'm not going to lie, the unsavoury characters are a little intimidating, I've always found they'll move out of my way and have never given me any bother

the worst thing about that part of the wicker is trying to avoid the street drinkers on methadone day at the pharmacy, it's like a zombie horde

Guest makapaka

This thread is daft.

No one is going to be able to disprove / prove their argument base on personal experience.

Let's face it - you're not automatically going to be knifed if you walk down there.

Similarly - it's by no means the best part of town and adjacent areas have had recent issues with crime - so there's no point pretending any different.

Before I get into this, you're basically going to go with the logic of "if something bad to you as an individual doesn't happen then it's a safe and beautiful area"?

The opposite side to this argument seems to be "if something bad happens and is in the press and happens to conform to my pre existing views, then my views are correct and no further evidence is required or will be considered"... Which is, well, not logic is it.

---------- Post added 05-07-2017 at 12:13 ----------

Exactly right, it's where all the "trendy" idiots go for a night out, and trouble follows

West Street isn't trendy, it's popular.

---------- Post added 05-07-2017 at 12:15 ----------

If you don't walk around these areas you'll never get any bother,if you do you are tempting fate and have good chance of bother.

Statistics don't lie, the city centre is a more dangerous place...

And there are numerous anecdotes in this thread alone of people walking around the area and being safe. So clearly the chance of "bother" is really very low.

---------- Post added 05-07-2017 at 12:16 ----------

What on earth for???

Made up story alert, me thinks, yep yep yep.

My mate lives in Darnall, I call most weeks and we go for a walk for an hour or two.

I must admit it was more pleasant to walk around Anston Stones when he lived there.

If anyone considers knife crime is bad in Sheffield.

Take a look at

BBC news tonight. Film shows examples of knife attacks in Birmingham

Two attacks in Sheffield fade into insignificance

Police say it is rife throughout the UK