Recycling plastic 1-5

In Leeds, I assume its the same in Sheffield, they only recycle certain types of plastic. What about plastics that have no recycling symbol?

I have numerous large plastic storage boxes, green bin, black bin or should I take them to the tip??

Most things that I put in my recycling bin, I don't look for a symbol, just goes in recycling bin. How do the council sort out which plastics can be recycled?

I do like to recycle.

"Please try to buy loose fruit and vegetables, and meat and fish from the butcher/fishmonger to avoid buying over packaged food.

A wide range of plastics are used to make plastic trays for packaging fruit, vegetables, meat etc. If they are made from plastic types 1 (PET/PETE), 2 (HDPE/PE-HD) and 4 (LDPE/PE-LD ), you can recycle them in your green recycling bin. These numbers can be found in a triangle on the packaging."

In Sheffield they have a "waste to energy" plant (an incinerator): they feed it anything that burns and call it recycled. There is almost no effort at all to recycle plastic.

Leeds has a incinerator too; so what ever fits in the recycle bin, it doesn't matter too much what goes in, because it will be incinerated.

Leeds has a incinerator too; so what ever fits in the recycle bin, it doesn't matter too much what goes in, because it will be incinerated.

I think Leeds got into the habit of recycling (a bit at least) before the incinerator was installed.

---------- Post added 02-07-2017 at 20:05 ----------

don't take this the wrong way, but is that true ?

To the best of my belief.

The only plastic they take in the recycling bin is bottles and at the tip it all goes in the general skip.

It really is the worst run recycling facility that I have ever come across... probably time I pestered the MP about it. Last time I complained to the council I came home to find smashed glass all over my drive...

Edited by Hairyloon

Re: Packaging. I used to love those bins full off stuff like flour and cornflakes where you could just scoop out what you needed and pay by weight. No excess packaging, no wasted food.

Do they still survive anywhere, and if not what happened to them?

Re: Packaging. I used to love those bins full off stuff like flour and cornflakes where you could just scoop out what you needed and pay by weight. No excess packaging, no wasted food.

Do they still survive anywhere, and if not what happened to them?

theres one in Crystal Peaks market , we get our dried fruit from there

Edited by hackey lad