Recycling plastic 1-5

In Sheffield they have a "waste to energy" plant (an incinerator): they feed it anything that burns and call it recycled. There is almost no effort at all to recycle plastic.

don't take this the wrong way, but is that true ?

Evidence???

The incinerator is located just off the parkway I believe.

Only plastic bottles are accepted in the bin, nothing more.

We can only accept plastic bottles in the bin/box. If your bin/box contains other plastics it will not be emptied

However

Other plastics can be taken to a local Recycling Site to be recycled

In comparison

Plastics - types 1 (PET/PETE), 2 (HDPE/PE-HD) and 4 (LDPE/PE-LD) these numbers can be found in a triangle on many plastic items. Examples of items include plastic bags, plastic food containers and see-through plastic milk containers with lids removed.

Plastic bottle tops, lids and spray triggers, Plastic bottles, Plastic carrier bags, Plastic cups, Plastic packaging, Plastic pots, tubs and trays, Polythene and plastic wrap

Really? I'll have to go and find it. Thanks.

happy to help

---------- Post added 03-07-2017 at 14:17 ----------

The incinerator is located just off the parkway I believe.

Only plastic bottles are accepted in the bin, nothing more.

However

In comparison

well I put all types of plastics in my blue bin and it is always full . the first time they refuse to take it , it will all go in the black bin

well I put all types of plastics in my blue bin and it is always full . the first time they refuse to take it , it will all go in the black bin

I think thats what we all do :thumbsup::thumbsup:

To be fair they employ a good number of people at the processing plant to go through all the recycling and pick out anything unacceptable.

So you're keeping a bunch of people in work if nothing else :hihi::hihi:

El cid, at the Carr hill dump site in Rotherham they have two skips for plastics. On one side of the ramp it's bottles, and the other side it's hard plastics. There is no bin provided at home for plastics of any kind.

The incinerator is at Bernard Road. And it achieves the rare feat of efficiency through:

a. avoiding or at least minimising landfill;

b. generating effectively free energy piped to SCC premises in and around the city centre; and

c. (I'm told) running at a profit by virtue of nearby Local Authorities actually paying SCC to get rid of their otherwise landfill-bound rubbish too- this extra keeps the incinerator burning away full-time.

The incinerator is at Bernard Road. And it achieves the rare feat of efficiency through:

b. generating effectively free energy piped to SCC premises in and around the city centre; and

c. (I'm told) running at a profit by virtue of nearby Local Authorities actually paying SCC to get rid of their otherwise landfill-bound rubbish too- this extra keeps the incinerator burning away full-time.

The issue is that plastic takes about 24 times as much energy to produce as you can usefully recover from burning it: it should be melted down and reused wherever possible.

Personally I would rather that plastic go into landfill: then, in a decade or few when hydrocarbons start getting scarce it can be dug up again and reused.

In Leeds "Apr 2016 - A STATE-OF-THE-ART incinerator in Leeds will help the city save £7m a year in financial and environmental costs."

"27 Mar 2017 - Bosses at the Cross Green incinerator have been ordered to improve after missing key annual recycling targets for the THIRD time."

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/emergency-boss-drafted-in-as-leeds-incinerator-misses-recycling-targets-for-third-time-1-8459699